Adoption
Options

Certificate of Citizenship VS Passport

Does anyone has any exsperience with this? I am confused and of course want to do whatever we need to do.

Per this statement If your adoption does not meet these requirements, you must take additional steps to secure your child's U.S. citizenship. Children who enter the United States on IH-4 or IR-4 visas automatically acquire U.S. citizenship (assuming they are under 18) as of the date of their full and final adoption in the United States. To obtain a Certificate of Citizenship once the adoption is finalized, beneficiaries file Form N-600 with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). It looks like DD is a automactic US Citizen because her visa is on the IH-4 form. I looked at the passport site and it appears that we can get her a US Passport with her birth certificate. Since the N-600 is over $600 and more fingerprints if the passport does the same thing I would rather pay the $105 for the passport then we can also travel.

I have e-mailed USCIS but have not received a response at this time.

Re: Certificate of Citizenship VS Passport

• Options

I'd opt for the Certificate of Citizenship to make 100% sure everyone recognizes her as a citizen, then use that to get the passport.  It would be more money, but I'm pretty risk-averse. 

I have zero experience w/that, though, and that's just my gut reaction.  I hope USCIS gets back to you soon! 

• Options
    I think you get the CoC to prove she is a citizen.  I think you get the Passport to prove she's a citizen when you need to travel.  The two provide totally different functions, in my mind and for the long-term I would rather have the CoC if she was my child.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, she is technically a citizen.  BUT most agencies STRONGLY recommend the COC.  Now, I know people who are refusing because of principle - they feel it is another way that the government tries to get money out of adoptive parents and that it isn't really necessary.  However, there have been cases where children have done something illegal (i.e. stealing a car) and they do not have a COC and they have been deported.  Or both parents die in an accident and there is a question of citizenship.  Our agency warned us about a variety of situations such as these and recommended that we get the COC to protect our children. (have to admit that it does irk me a bit that it's so doggone expensive!)
  • Options
    Our DS entered the US on a IR-3 and we didn't have to readopt in the US, he became a US citizen on entering the US and a certificate of citizenship was automatically mailed to us.  A few weeks later we applied for a passport.  My thought is the more papers you have the better.  But it looks like you have to readopt in the US first.  We haven't readopted and don't have to legally, but probably will, again just because I feel like the more papers we have the better.
  • Options

I would encourage you to get the COC--I have heard of citizenship being questioned when kids apply for federal financial aid and other instances.

This doesn't pertain to you, but it's especially important to get the COC if your child comes from a place with mandated military service (like Korea). Without the COC, a young Korean-American man can be detained in Korea for military service.

• Options

imageMrsB2007:
    I think you get the CoC to prove she is a citizen.  I think you get the Passport to prove she's a citizen when you need to travel.  The two provide totally different functions, in my mind and for the long-term I would rather have the CoC if she was my child.

This is exactly right.  If your child's citizenship is every really called into question, a passport will be enough documentation.  It's just good sense to have that all documented so that any question can be easily met and dismissed.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"