D.C. Area Babies

when did your LO stop using a highchair?

J seems to be kind of . . . over the whole highchair thing. Lately we've been having him sit on a stool at the counter in our kitchen, but that can be a little messy.

What do you do? Booster seat? Kneeling at a table? Throw down a splat mat and hope for the best? 

Any recs would be much appreciated!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: when did your LO stop using a highchair?

• Both my girls switched to a booster seat with a strap (so they wouldn't wander off from the table) around 2 years maybe?

This is not the one we have, but it's kind of like it.  But with only a strap across the lap.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • We moved DS to a booster seat (FP Healthy Booster, has a buckle to keep him from climbing out) at the kitchen table when he was eating mostly solid foods (about age 1).  We try to eat meals together so we all sit down at the table.  If DH and I aren't eating with him, he sits at his own little table in the kitchen.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageI_love_cupcakes:
    We moved DS to a booster seat (FP Healthy Booster, has a buckle to keep him from climbing out) at the kitchen table when he was eating mostly solid foods (about age 1).  We try to eat meals together so we all sit down at the table.  If DH and I aren't eating with him, he sits at his own little table in the kitchen.

This is exactly what we do.  We also keep a second booster in the car for when we go to parties so DD has a place to sit and eat.  Although, now that she is 2 and is well versed with a plate, we haven't been using the spare as much.

• Sometime between 18 months and 2.  No booster, just put her in a regular chair, kneeling on her knees.  At 32 months, she still kneels because she is petite.  There is no way she would have stayed confined to a booster.  She is up and down a lot, but it's a recent thing.
  • I think we moved this booster seat right around Christmas time.  It's nice becasue it folds down somewhat and has a carrying strap.  When we got to visit family that we know doesn't have one, it's easy to take with us and doesn't take a lot of room in the car.

We have a splat mat that we use underneath it as well.

• imagejess08200:

I think we moved this booster seat right around Christmas time.  It's nice becasue it folds down somewhat and has a carrying strap.  When we got to visit family that we know doesn't have one, it's easy to take with us and doesn't take a lot of room in the car.

We have a splat mat that we use underneath it as well.

We use a similar booster for T (one of their themed ones, so different colors but same concept).  She's still happy to get into her "seat, seat!" at meals, so I hope she'll be happy with it until she is tall enough to sit in the chair without it.

imageimageimage
  • Good note from pp - we also have that Fisher Price one we use for travel, and I bought one for like $5 at a rummage sale for my parents' house.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • DD does not believe in any contraption that requires her to be strapped in :-) The carseat is mandatory but the high chair, booster and stroller were abandoned around 12 months.

She likes to stand on the chair to eat or she eats at her own little table.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We bought a booster seat (with a strap) around 18 months.  When he was about 2.5 we just let him sit at the table in a normal seat (with the deal that if he kept getting up we'd break out the booster again).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We made the switch to a booster before a year (can't remember exactly when) mostly because I hated our high chair. DD loves it, though; like QueSrah, she'll stand in front of it and say "chair, chair." We also have a spare fo travel, and my parents have one at their house.

We also have the chairs to a kid-table (the table is coming), and DD loves them. I know when the table comes, she's going to be obsessed.

• Around 20 months we switched to a little table and chairs from IKEA. It was cheap, easy to clean, and she loves it. We have the FIsher Price Healthy Care Booster for when we go to restaurants or if we want her to sit with us at the table. She hates the wooden high chairs and won't sit in them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"