High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Preterm Labor 28 Weeks

*LONG POST*

Last Tuesday, April 5th (27 weeks) I had worked a long 12 hour shift. I picked up dinner for my husband and myself. When I got home I went to change clothes. After going to the bathroom I noticed some bleeding. It was not a lot and it was dark. I had not been having an cramps, contractions, or discomfort. I went out to talk to my husband and we debated weather or not to go see the doctor. I had some spotting earlier in the pregnancy that they said was likely just from intercourse. I called the OB office and was told to go to the hospital and get checked at the OB triage clinic. Jeff and I again debated about it. We figured they would check us and send us home. We already had an OB appointment scheduled for the next morning, so we really did debate back and forth. We ultimately decided to be safe and go get checked.

When we got there they asked lots of questions and said that I would be observed overnight for any contractions and make sure the baby's heart beat was good all night. The nurse did an internal exam and determined that I was 1cm dilated. The doctor ordered a cervical length scan. The scan showed I only had 0.7cm left of my cervix. This changed me from just being observed overnight to being a full patient. I was immediately given an IV with fluids, antibiotics, and magnesium (to stop contractions). Talk about scary!! I went from thinking I would be checked and sent home to being told I could deliver at any moment! They also began the steroid shots to help develop the baby's lungs. I was absolutely overwhelmed!!!! I was definitely not prepared for all of this!!

They kept me in the labor and delivery area overnight. I was then moved to the preterm labor side. The doctor gave us the goal of 28 weeks!! We checked the cervix again 2 days later and it had gotten a little better it was up to 1.1cm. This made me very optimistic!! Unfortunately when they checked again it was unmeasurable! There was no functional length. I was so disappointed. It just broke my heart. The doctor made it sound as if we would be extremely lucky if we made it to the 28 week mark at that point.

The Neonatolgoist from NICU came up and spoke with us. They explained that babies born after 28 weeks have an extremely high survival rate. He explained that 28 weekers usually only have to be on a ventilator for 1-2 days. He said every week after that just increases the odds of having a healthy baby!! I know the technologies have changed and have made it so much better for those precious NICU babies!! I guess I just never thought I'd be in that situation. 32 weeks would be amazing, but every day she stays in the womb is one more day stronger!!

They did an ultrasound to check her size on Friday. Sophia was 2lbs, 10oz (give or take 6oz). She was still measuring about a week ahead, which was great news. Every oz makes a big difference!!!!

I feel very BLESSED to have parents who are both Nurses. My mother is the Director of the Children's Hospital at the hospital I am currently at. Her floor is one floor below mine, so she is able to check on me throughout the day. My father is a nurse anesthetist at the other hospital. Its really helpful to have people who are so medically knowledgeable to help me. They are extremely helpful when it comes to the interactions with the doctors. Sometimes they are able to think of additional questions to ask!!

We celebrated 28 weeks yesterday!! The doctors were thrilled we made it to the 28 week mark!! I've been in the hospital on strict bed rest for one week as of yesterday.

The monitoring has only shown a few minor contractions, nothing that they are really concerned about. It also shows a lot of irritability. They said that things like dehydration and having to urinate can cause the irritability of the uterus. I have been having a lot of mucus-like discharge. Some of it bloody (mostly dark). They aren't really concerned about it, but it worries me!

I was able to see the nephrologist on Monday. He rechecked my kidney function and everything is looking good. My blood work actually looked better at 28 weeks then it did at 8 weeks. That really surprised me. He said I was still spilling Protein in the urine, but he said that was quite normal during pregnancy and he wants us to check six to eight weeks after delivery to make sure it is coming back to normal.

The OB ordered another cervical length scan. They performed it Monday morning. It again showed there was no functional cervical length. There was nothing to measure.

I also saw the Maternal-Fetal Medicine Physician on Monday. He looked over all the scans, monitoring feeds, and labs. He said that he thought that everything my OB was doing was right no track. He did suggest the Fetal Fibronectin Test. Fetal fibronectin (fFN) is a protein produced by fetal cells and a type of fibronectin. fFN is found at the interface of the chorion and the decidua (between the fetal sack and the uterine lining).

It can be thought of as an adhesive or "biological glue" that binds the fetal sac to the uterine lining. The test checks for Fetal fibronectin that has leaked into the vagina. If it is negative it is unlikely that you will delivery in the next 1-2 weeks. If it's positive it does not necessarily mean that you will deliver soon, but it is a marker that you are likely to deliver before 37 weeks. A negative test is more reliable than a positive test.

I had the test performed yesterday morning. It came back positive. I will remain on hospital bed rest until Sophia is born. I was finally given the privileged of getting up to urinate in the bathroom (no more bedpan, thank goodness) and shower!! I have not had a full shower in over a week, it's amazing how nice it was to get up and get in the shower. I'm limited to a 5 minute shower, which is difficult, but much better than attempting to wash in the bed!!!!!

I guess I just never pictured that this is how my 28th week of pregnancy would end up. I'm just praying that my little girl stays in here as long as possible!! We are really hoping to make it to 30 weeks, but the longer the better!!!!

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and well wishes!! It really helps knowing that I have you all as a support system!!! Thank You Again!!!!!!

Sophia Elizabeth born at 28 weeks, 6 days. Weighing 3lbs, 3oz and 15 1/8" long. SS Photography blue petti
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image

Re: Preterm Labor 28 Weeks

• Options

What a scary situation!  But, it sounds like you are in very good hands, and have a very positive attitude.  

Bed rest is hard, especially hospital bed rest, so I feel for you!

I hope you have a very uneventful next few weeks, and that you make it to June! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Wow, it is bizarre that I could have written this exact post, although I had no spotting. At my 28 week appointment i mentioned to the doctor that i felt very "open" downtown.  He thought that sounded off, so he did an exam and found the incompetant cervix.  I was sent directly to the hospital, where i got the shot for the babys lungs, and pills to stop my contractions. She was a mere 2 pounds at that point.  I failed the FFN test too, and was stuck on bed rest and abruptly off work.  Although, i chose not to speak to NICU, i was too afraid to hear what they had to say. Every week I dialted more and....

Whitney was born at almost 35 weeks, 5 pounds. So, it can be done.  Hang in there.  Email me if you need to talk :-) stephanie11697 at yahoo

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hang in there! Positive Prayers & Thoughts for you and your growing family!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    claarclaar member

Sending T&P your way! I have read so many stories of women on this board in your similar situation that have been able to carry their babies a lot longer than originally planned.  

I have been on BR for about 6 weeks for shortened cervix...I have been preparing myself mentally for the possibility of PTL...I can't imagine how you must feel with the whirlwind of emotions on just learning about your cervix at 28 weeks...but everyday you hold that baby inside you is a step closer to a healthier baby.  GL and keep us posted on your progress. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

hang in there!

My DS was born at 26 weeks + 2 days and is doing well now.   Many T&P that baby can bake for several more weeks!!!

• Options

Wow I could have wrote your post as the same thing is currently happening to me!! 

I was admitted into the hospital at 26 weeks with no measurable cervix and 2cm dialted.  I was given magnesium through a IV and also the steriod shots. I only get up to use the bathroom and take my once a week quick shower.  I started spotting a week ago at 27 weeks and it has continued daily. It comes and goes through out the day. My OB does not want to check me again unless I am in hard labor because of the fear of breaking my water or infection. I agree so I do not know if my cervix is dialted anymore and He also doesn't seem to be worried about my spotting. It has been hard being in the hospital but I know this is the best place for me and my baby! Good Luck to you!! If you wanna chat just pm me!!

• Options

Thoughts and prayers to you!!

You might make it further then you think, hang in there every day counts! 

• Options

I too went through something very similar. At 30 weeks I was admitted to the hospital with spotting ang contractions. My Fetal "' test came back negative, though, and I wasnt dialated at all yet. I spent just a few hours in hospital, and once the contractions were under control, we went home.  I was put on bedrest at home though, and continued spotting and bleeding until labour began at 33 wks 6 days. I was already 10 cm dialated when we arived at the hospital, and so little Iris was born 6 weeks early. We found out after that I was undergoing a placental abruption, this was causing the pre-term labour. Iris is now 12 weeks (6 weeks adjusted) and doing awesome! Best of luck, my thoughts are with you! Stay positive!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"