Boston Babies

Hi again Boston nesties: another town question, Acton?

Someone recommended Acton in my post below about Concord, lol. We actually were considering that last night, ironically. How is the town? Does it have a "downtown" at all? I think my husband and I are leaningmore towards going further out to get more bang for what little buck we have, lol. He says he would rather go on the commuter rail than drive--and I am hopefully working from home, so I would not care about commute (at this point). 

One concern is daycares, my older son is at a Goddard here in NJ and we love the school and curriculum. My 4 month old will be entering it and when we move he will also need to be enrolled. I see there is one in Westford? Does anyone know about that Goddard and its rates? I called a Goddard in Reading/Wakefield (cant remember which one) and they wanted $1900 for full time infant. That's about $500 miore a mnth than here in NJ.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Hi again Boston nesties: another town question, Acton?

• I think I responded with Acton - I put the link for the train.  Acton has an express train which is a lot faster than the other stops.  I don't know off hand if there is a "downtown" section but there are a lot of shopping areas there.  There's TJ Maxx, Ann Taylor Loft, Talbots, Trader Joe's...  You don't have to drive an hour to get stuff, and it's still suburban.  If you are looking to go further out check out Harvard, MA 01451 (not to mistake with Harvard University in Cambridge - sometimes people think it's the same area).  It's a little further down on Route 2 and has really good schools.  I believe it's Worcester County rather than Middlesex - which Concord/Acton are.  It's the country but within driving distance to stuff.  The town itself doesn't really have much for shopping - nothing really in town.  But it's within a 15 minute drive of supermarkets and stuff.  It's one of those towns that has a minimun 2 acre per house lot.  My sister lives there with two little ones - 3 and 6.  She's been very happy and loves the nursury school - Village Nursury School.  The Littleton train stop would be the closest or he could drive over to Acton for the express.    I don't know much about daycare - I have a post on here looking for rec's in Concord but no replies yet.  I know a great realtor in Harvard if you end up going that way - I'd recommend going with her or someone in the town as a realtor from Acton most likely won't know the ins and outs of Harvard.  Hope this helps :)

• Thank you! You MA ladies are the best!

We are actually coming up next weekend to look at the areas of Acton/Concord and I will mention Harvard. Thanks again!

I called two daycares in Westford--my son goes to a Goddard here in NJ and the prices are extremely high, but the prices in MA are higher. I didn't think that was possible. LOL! 

• Loading the player...
  • You're welcome :)  I get so much good advice on here I'm glad I could finally give some!  I was driving home on Rt 2 and was thinking about you guys moving out this way - notice the speed limit is 45 - notice how fast the traffic actually goes.  Here's the link to a realtor in Harvard in case your's doesn't go there https://harvardareahomes.com/ there's a woman named Chris Ready who is really nice - she's the one who worked with my sister.  I'm having sticker shock as well with the daycares - seems like $450/week is average.  I haven't looked into a smaller in home type of care which I heard was less $$.  Good luck house hunting!

• I think I remember you saying your H will be working in Waltham or Cambridge? The commuter rail is really a lot more practical for getting into Boston than for either Cambridge or especially Waltham, just FYI.  It will be great if he's actually working right near a Comm Rail stop in one of those cities that is on the Acton line, but if he's not, driving will make more sense and commuting from Acton would be a big pain.
  • Yes, he is working in Cambridge, and not sure if the job will be changed to Waltham. He definitely doesnt want to drive...so the commuter rail is important. We are also renting at first. We bought our house in NJ much too quickly and without researching the area first and we regretted it immediately, so we dont want to rush finding a great town. Acton seems great on paper, but we arent ready to buy yet. We will be up there next weekend, so maybe I will have some kind of clarity by then! LOL

• Sorry to butt in here as I usually post on another board but I live in Groton, MA and commute into Boston 3 days a week. Acton is a very nice town and the commuter rail there will take you right into that side of Boston. I work at Brigham which is on the other side of town, so it takes a lot longer. You will get more bang for your buck in Acton then you would in Concord ( I would be surprised if you could get anything nice for under $500k).

That part of Route 2 if you commute from the Concord Rotary right before the turn is full of lights so that's why you would slow down. Usually once you get past those lights it's a clear shot till you get to Cambridge where it slows down again. If he can go in early if he is commuting he will miss most of that (early meaning leave house by 6:30). The train would probably be the best option for quickest route though! I've been doing this commute for over 4 years and used to do 5 days a week so it is tiring!

Carlisle is also nice but definitely a sleeper town as is Harvard. Harvard would take him probably about a 1/2 hour longer to commute if he were to go by car because there is a horrible spot on Route 2 right before that. If you are living in Acton you can go up 119 and miss this part till you get to the Concord Rotary. Also, I would estimate that Littleton is even closer than Harvard if you use 119. Sorry to be confusing! Mass commutes kinda stink!

Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Have you considered Metrowest if you're looking for a commuter train to Cambridge?  I believe the Worcester line is a straighter shot to Cambridge (could be wrong).  The towns along there that would be nice (and not super expensive) are Ashland and Natick.  Holliston and Hopkinton aren't far either.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Acton is a nice town.  West Acton has a walking area with a cafe, spa, pizza shop, and a small farmer's market in the summer.  It is a small town though, so the downtown is more of a small town feel.  There are various shopping areas in Acton too.  I live in Westford and head over to Acton to shop frequently.  The commute from Acton to Waltham or Boston is tough by car due to Route 2 (lots of lights).  The commuter rail is a nice option if your destination is within walking distance of the train stop.
  • I'm super late on this, but I grew up there. PM me if you want more information.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"