D.C. Area Babies

f/u to my pp, OB/GYN prescribed norethindrone

I called the doctor around 4:30 pm today.  I left work early claiming to be "sick" and I've been going through a tampon and pad every 30 minutes.  They were closing up shop for the day, but I talked to a nurse who tried to give me the generic "well, your first period after having a baby is going to be pretty bad..." and I halted her pretty quickly.  I told her I've had two other kids so I knew what to expect in that first period, this was way worse and getting to the point where I felt like I had to go to the ER.

So she called back quickly and said one of the OBs in the practice called in a prescription for norethindrone.  Looking on line it looks like it can be used at birth control but also for endomitriosis (sp?).  I guess we'll see what it does.

She did say "I wish your IUD was here, it would help this!" and I agreed.  I ordered it two weeks ago but apparently it takes a while for insurance to OK coverage, etc. so it's not been delivered to the OB office yet.   

I did not ask about the Aleve, so I'm kind of kicking myself.  It's the only thing that works on cramps for me.  I used to take it as a kid as a prescription, back when it was prescription only and called "Anaprox."  Now you can imitate Anaprox by taking 2 Aleve every six hours.  I took three this morning, two six hours later, then three again this evening. 

Thanks for the kind words and sympathy in my post below ladies!  This totally blows.  Though I'm really lucky, tomorrow is my regular telecommute day, so hopefully I don't have to burn more sick leave (I don't have much since I just used it all to have the baby!)- I can lay around with my laptop and still work.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.

Re: f/u to my pp, OB/GYN prescribed norethindrone

• I hope you feel better soon!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • that sounds miserable! i hope the medicine works for you. is it supposed to help with the amount of bleeding or the cramping?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I hope it helps! 

Did you order your IUD directly?  I think most doctors require you to.  I ask because Caremark didn't put my order through.  It shouldn't take more than a few days, so if you haven't heard anything I would definitely call the pharmacy and check the status.  At first the customer service rep insisted it was shipped, and then she checked and it turned out they just didn't process my order - no apparent reason.  

• imageVAJuneBride07:

I hope it helps! 

Did you order your IUD directly?  I think most doctors require you to.  I ask because Caremark didn't put my order through.  It shouldn't take more than a few days, so if you haven't heard anything I would definitely call the pharmacy and check the status.  At first the customer service rep insisted it was shipped, and then she checked and it turned out they just didn't process my order - no apparent reason.  

That's interesting, because no, my OB office said it's better for them to order it.  I had called on Monday to check to see if it was in because my period had started Sunday night and they say its best to have it inserted during my period.  At that point the billing lady at the OB office (who was very nice) said she was waiting on Aetna.  I should check today what she meant by that - that is, if she didn't order it yet at all because she was waiting for approval or what.  Thanks, I'll investigate.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Hope it gets better soon!
  • imageArtslvr:
    imageVAJuneBride07:

I hope it helps! 

That's interesting, because no, my OB office said it's better for them to order it.  I had called on Monday to check to see if it was in because my period had started Sunday night and they say its best to have it inserted during my period.  At that point the billing lady at the OB office (who was very nice) said she was waiting on Aetna.  I should check today what she meant by that - that is, if she didn't order it yet at all because she was waiting for approval or what.  Thanks, I'll investigate.

My OB's office ordered mine.  The place they ordered it from called me yesterday to discuss how I was going to pay for the co-payment before they shipped it to my doctor.  Doctor ordered it last Wednesday and it will be at their office by this Thursday.  I thought that was pretty weird.. the call from the pharmacy, that is.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Goblin Gallup 5k 10/30/11 - 36:46
    Turkey Trot 5k 11/24/11 - 35:14
    Festival of Lights 5k 12/31/11 - 33:13
    Love the Run You're With 5k 2/13/12 - 31:58
    Backyard Burn 5 miler 3/11/12 - 1:08:42
    Cherry Blossom 10 Miler 4/1/12 - 1:58:22
    Wine Country HF 6/2/12 - TBD
    Spartan Race 8/25/12 - TBD
  • uh oh - Aetna.  I have Aetna and they covered nada for my IUD.  It took me months to get mine, as I thought it had been ordered - then learned Caremark (or Aetna - whoever) didn't process it yada yada... as pp's mention above.

Also - I had completely out of control periods like you're experiencing (after 2nd baby).  My OB ordered an Ultrasound - discovered I had a huge polyp which was causing the bleeding.  I had a D&C.  Then a month later got my IUD.   But even with the IUD I'm still experiencing heavy spotting/clotting periods (sorry TMI).  But gradually I can tell things are settling down - I'm 7 months into the IUD.  ugh.

Good luck and keep following up on that IUD (Mirena?).  Hopefully your Aetna plan will cover some of it. 

PS - Isn't it icky that your doc has to install the thing during your period?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"