Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Why must she bury her face??

DD hates being flat on her back to sleep.  She flails around and eventually starts screaming. She also hates being swaddled.  (What can I say - she's a girl who knows what she likes.)  I am trying to get her used to sleeping in her room, so we are doing naps first, and after we get back from traveling for Easter, our plan is to transition to the crib at night.  (She's currently in her bouncy seat in our room.) 

In order to get her to fall asleep in her crib I made a little nest out of rolled up blankets, then put one big one over them and tucked it around the sides.  However, she has to like BURY her face in the side of it before she seems comfortable.  Scares me to death!  Anyone else have a LO who does this? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Why must she bury her face??

• Options

E has to be swaddled to sleep but she wiggles her way over to the side of the bassinet, crib, or PNP and puts her forehead against the side before she'll go into a deep sleep. We pull her away and she wiggles right back over.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    haha yes! i think it reminds my LO of falling asleep on the boob since it usually was mushed against his face
    Photobucket AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Grace has a blankie she sleeps with and she almost always pulls it over her face when she's sleeping. Try putting a few folded towels under one side of the mattress to give it an incline. That's what I did in the bassinet and she slept SO much better after I did that.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Molly despises being swaddled, she always has.  We just started to get her in her crib and the only thing that helps is this stuffed (beanie baby type) elephant.  I let her fall asleep with it and then I take it away from her.  She pushes it up against her face and hugs it close...I can't deny their love.
  • Options
    Yep... every single night. DS sleeps on his tummy and wiggles his way to the corner of his crib and buries his face into the bumpers. When we realized he was a tummy sleeper we bought the motion sensor that goes under the mattress, otherwise I'd be to worried to ever fall asleep!
  • Options

Yes. 

She does not fall asleep unless her face is covered, or rubbing on fabric.Does. Not. Sleep. So she'll fall asleep on my chest against my shirt, or she'll smush a blanket, burp cloth or bib against her face. Once she's asleep we can take it away without a problem, but it's the only way she falls asleep. I'm trying to find a nice loose crocheted small square blankie to see if that will work, but she'll be rolling over soon and she should be able to just rub her face on the sheet. I hope. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Nora buries her face in the bumper, too, probably about half the time. Thank goodness they are breathable! She just seems comfier that way...
      norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMama_SAS:

Yes. 

She does not fall asleep unless her face is covered, or rubbing on fabric.Does. Not. Sleep. So she'll fall asleep on my chest against my shirt, or she'll smush a blanket, burp cloth or bib against her face. Once she's asleep we can take it away without a problem, but it's the only way she falls asleep. I'm trying to find a nice loose crocheted small square blankie to see if that will work, but she'll be rolling over soon and she should be able to just rub her face on the sheet. I hope. 

Ha!  Those pictures crack me up!  This is my DD, too.  She is a fiesty one, so I really don't worry TOO much about her not breathing, because she has never had a problem letting anyone know if she's uncomfortable, but still - makes me nervous.  

She is a side sleeper too.  She won't fall asleep unless I turn her on her side a bit (which I guess just helps her bury her face in the sheet.  

• Options

DS did the same thing too and I'm trying to remember when we just let him have the blanket. I know we let him have it to fall asleep but then we took it away, but after some milestone we just left it in there.

Rolling both ways? Rolling and sitting? 6 months?  I have been trying to remember since DD started doing this and I have no clue. Isn't that bad?

• Options
    My son will only sleep on his tummy sometimes with his face flat down!!  Makes me nervous too, but we finally gave up and let him.  I just make sure he is in his bassinet or bed.  When we are holding him and he wants to sleep he buries his face in the bend of my elbow.  I'm sure if someone saw this they would think he was suffocating, but he won't fall asleep otherwise.  At 3 months most babies can lift their head so hopefully that will reduce any chance of getting stuck in one position.
  • Options
    NhevNhev member
    She's always trying to bury her face! Sometimes she does it frantically, like she just wants anything on her face!
  • Options

I'm so glad you posted this!  When DS was in the RNP we had to put a soft blanket under him so he could nuzzle his face against it.  Now that he's in the crib I rolled a blanket in to a U shape and place it around his head.  I was worried that he'll pull it over his face once we break him of the swaddle in a few weeks, but every now and then he gets his arms free and doesn't really touch it, so it should be fine.

I'm glad to hear other parents let thier babies do this as well, I felt like I had a dirty little secret!!!  LOL

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"