Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

nipple level for bottles/breastfed babies

My LO is 8 months. Wondering what level nipple you all are using for bottle feeds?

Re: nipple level for bottles/breastfed babies

• Options
    My LO is almost 7 months and we switch back and forth between the slow flow and medium flow nipples. He doesn't really show any preference for either. He does NOT like the fast flow ones though! That was one big messy experiment gone bad... Aside from spilling everywhere, he apparently ate too much too fast and threw it all up as soon as he finished his bottle. Big fat mommy fail.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD was on slow flow til she started daycare (at 5mo).  The only reason we switched is so she wouldn't take 40min to eat 4oz.  She is on medium flow now, and, that actually matches my flow pretty well since I have overactive letdown.  We tried the fast, but, she makes a HUGE mess with that.  We'll probably stay at medium until she's off bottles. 

It's recommended to use the slowest flow they will tolerate - but we didn't want DC to come back complaining that we switch.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We go back and forth between level 1 and 2 on the Dr. Brown nipples.  The local LC recommends that BF babies stay at a low flow nipple so they don't develop a preference for the bottle and start refusing the breast.  She recommends staying at a low flow regardless of age.

The only reason we use level 2 is because LO was refusing the bottle and we needed to get him to take it so we made it a little easier for him, but I don't want him to think the bottle is always super easy so I go back and forth between the two nipples.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My ds is almost 7 months and we use Avent size 2.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageLinZbb:
    My ds is almost 7 months and we use Avent size 2.

Exactly this except my babe is a DD not a DS :)

• Options
    Medium.  It was taking him longer to take a bottle than to nurse!
  • Options
    When I first introduced the bottle at 3 months we had to use slow flow.  The slow flow continued through 4 months.  Then we were able to start with the slow flow and move to the fast during a feeding.  Now, as of about a week or so ago, she is all fast flow.  It just took her a long time to adjust.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

We are still using the slow flow ones that came with my Medela pump.  Daycare hasn't complained and DS seems happy with them.

• Options
    DD is 6 months old and we use Born Free level 2's now. We tried the 3's, thinking she'd be ready for it just b/c of her age, and the flow was way too fast for her.
  • Options
    My girl will be 9 months next week and we use Avent #2.  She has been using that size since she was about 4 months old.  The 1's were always too slow for her and the 2's seem to match my flow.

BFP 11/09 - DD 7/10 - BFP 8/11 - M/C 9/11 - BFP 6/12 - DD - 2/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"