Breastfeeding
Options

Domperidone and Metformin: LC vs Pedi, whom to believe

I have a 2 month old; our LC has established that I have low supply (based on some analyses with watching me pump, weighing DS after he eats for X amount of time, etc).

LC is pushing for me to get on Dom and/or Metformin (I have PCOS, was on it before my second tri) to increase supply.  While normally we like the LC, the pushing is reaching a point that DH and I are finding intrusive/irritating. The woman is calling all her contacts in a 100 miles radius to "find someone who will write (me) that script".

When the supply issue was first mentioned, I tried talking to my (s)OB, who lit into me for "still" BF. LC tried talking to him, and the same.  I mentioned it to our pedi, whom we love, and the pedi mentioned that Dom is an antipsychotic, illegal in the US for a good reason, and that both Dom and Met are dangerous to take while BFing.

I feel silly even questioning a second opinion when it agrees with the first, but from what we see/hear, the majority of the docs in this area are pretty anti-BF and extremely ignorant about PCOS. 

So in short: Whom to believe about the safety of Dom and Met?  I'm confused because all three medical professionals are affiliated with the same hospital, and you think they'd all stick to one party line or the other...

Mom to a beautiful boy and girl!

Re: Domperidone and Metformin: LC vs Pedi, whom to believe

• Options
    I would believe an OB over a LC.  They have more training and are more familar with medications, side effects, etc.  I have PCOS to so I know what you mean about doctors and professionals ignorance about PCOS.  Have you tried Fenugreek, Mother's Milk, etc to increase supply? I took Metformin for a short amount of time and felt jumpy and horrible on it...I def. wouldnt want to take it while breastfeeding in fear that some of that med would get passed to baby (just a personal opinion tho).  LC and some OB's have two different points of view...some LC really really push breastfeeding when it may not be what is best for you or baby and some OB's do not help with breastfeeding enough.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    *meant to say I would believe a Pedi over an LC...
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think that both the pedi and the LC probably have good points, but it makes it hard to decide who to believe.  If you're set on BF and need a way to increase your supply, you can try without prescription meds first (like PP said).  Fenugreek and blessed thistle were helpful to me.  Oatmeal makes an improvement for a lot of mothers (I wasn't one of them).  And, if you think you need a prescription, there are options out there. 

I've been on Reglan (metoclopramide) for a little over a month and have had amazing luck.  I finally have a freezer stash again!  Reglan has its own side effects (I've been a little extra sleepy with it, but that's it), like all the other meds out there.  You'll have to weigh the pros/cons of anything you take if you decide to go that route.

But, I'd try the fenugreek/blessed thistle route along with a few extra pumping sessions if you're not doing that already.  You might get lucky and be able to boost your supply enough without needing a prescription.

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Did you check Kellymom? https://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/prescript_galactagogue.html  My pedi is very VERY BF supportive and yet ultimately her interest is in the health of my child, not me, so while she may make some recommendations about increasing milk supply she'd never do it at the expense of my daughter's health but, because she's very pro-BF I would trust her over an LC.  In your case it sounds like your pedi and your OB are both pretty uninformed about BF.  I wouldn't hesitate to get a second opinion under those circumstances.  Dr. Jack Newman is *the* breastfeeding guru, I've heard that he (or a staff member) will respond to emails.  Good luck!

I have PCOS and had the oversupply problem, but in my research prior to giving birth I had done my own reading on using Met and was not convinced that it would help.  

Kellymom also has a PCOS and breastfeeding link here.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageAmyG*:

Domperidone is NOT at anti psychotic!!  It's original use is for nausea and vomiting,

This. 

Your pedi is an idiot. And it sounds like you need a LC who will support you not pressure you.

Good luck.

Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

https://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Domperidone%20Getting%20Started.asp

More info on Domperidone. 

I've been taking it for two months now and have been able to completely quit supplementing!  No side effects except for a little dizziness the first few days I was on it, but it quickly passed. 

I'd get a second opinion on all counts if I were you.  If you live in a large city, you should be able to find a pedi that better supports breastfeeding also.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"