D.C. Area Babies

Hospital Packing List - What am I missing?

With pregnancy number 1, my packing list was a mile long. This time I'm having a scheduled c-section so there are less unknowns and I know a little more of what to expect (although I could always go into labor earlier than expected which is why I'm putting together the list now). Is there anything critical that I'm missing? Last time, I just wore the hospital gown the whole time I was in the hospital and I would just put a robe on and crocs when I went into the hallways. Also, I'll have DH bring a pillow and blanket for himself since I believe they only gave him sheets. I'm delivering at Holy Cross. Water bottle
Crocs
Robe
Going home clothes for me
Going home clothes for DD
Toiletries (including hair ties which is the most important thing)
Maybe some magazines? Cell phone and charger
Camera with batteries/sync cord
Computer with power cord
Charged video camera
MP3 Player with charger and headphones
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Hospital Packing List - What am I missing?

• Since you won't need labor support stuff I think the list looks good. Maybe add snacks for you and especially DH. I know you'll get hospital food, but DH likely won't. Also, change of clothes for DH?

When I had DD2, in my hospital bag I packed a gift for the baby to "give" to her big sister. And had a wrapped gift for DD1 to bring with her to the hospital for the baby. They were just matching big/little sister shirts, but DD1 really liked that she had something for the baby and was surprised that the baby gave her something too. Just something else you may want to add to your bag.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Socks (for you, if you remember being cold last time) 

Burp cloths (hospitals never had them for me)

Baby book (for footprints, bracelets, etc. - or some other folder / box to keep them safe in)

Change for vending machines

Gum / mints

Parking pass (if gotten in advance)

Nursing tanks / bras (can't remember if you were going to try BFing with DD2)

Boppy (if you can use it after a c-section)

Also, if the person watching DD1 isn't familiar with her routine, print out instructions - everything from naptime to favorite snacks.  She may be fine without you there or she may be totally thrown off...sticking to whatever she's familiar with may help.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies. Those are all things I forgot about...especially the socks! I cannot sleep without socks on. I'll add those to my list.
  • The two things I didn't have but I wish I did were a hair dryer and our own bath towels!
    A Tale of Infant Cataracts eyelovejack.blogspot.com
  • lanolin and nursing bras

I also packed my pump and kept it in the car just in case; I didn't need it but it was nice to know it was in the parking lot if I did need it

• you may not know but HC doesn't validate parking any longer. i don't remember the rates ($6/day max?), but you can now buy a week-long pass that allows you to come and go unlimited. i think it was $10, but you can only buy it during business hours. you can get it from the cashier's office which is on the main level i think near the starbucks behind the visitor's desk.

i brought a pillow for myself in addition to DH. i seem to recall they only gave me one and i was glad to have my own as extra (with a soft pillowcase to boot).

i second the towel rec, but i would bring an old one that could be trashed after it gets ickiness on it. :)

otherwise, you've got it covered i think. i pretty much lived in hospital gear the entire time and only changed into my own undies/clothes for going home. i brought all sort of books, ipod, etc and didn't use hardly any of it.

one thing i did bring that was a hit was a little gift for the L&D nurses and then the nurses on the maternity floor. it was right before xmas so we brought boxes of baileys chocolates and my L&D nurse was more than ready to bust those open, lol!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagezerf77:

you may not know but HC doesn't validate parking any longer. i don't remember the rates ($6/day max?), but you can now buy a week-long pass that allows you to come and go unlimited. i think it was $10, but you can only buy it during business hours. you can get it from the cashier's office which is on the main level i think near the starbucks behind the visitor's desk.

Thanks - I didn't know that. I'll definitely let DH know.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"