D.C. Area Babies

Only up for two hours

I thought we had been doing this, but toward the end of last week I really started watching the clock and started putting LO down for naps at about the 1.5 hour mark - Iswaddle, rock and shush to get him to the drowsy but barely awake point although sometimes he falls asleep on our way to put him down!), so by the 2 hour mark, he's usually asleep.

He has been doing pretty well on it. Usually he will only nap for about 45 minutes to an hour, but we got a 2.5 hour nap on Saturday, and yesterday we got him to nap in his crib for the very first time ever (he sleeps in a rock n play and usually aps in the swing or pack and play napper attachment). I think it's helping his temperament a little bit and it hasn't hurt his night sleep at all (although it hasn't helped it).

DH is not on board with this yet and tends to overstimulate him, but once he's home alone with him for full days, I think he'll learn to do it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Only up for two hours

• That's awesome! J took short naps like that for a long time - as long as you're not really planning on accomplishing much while he's sleeping, it's still a nice break.

Is there a reason why your DH isn't into it? For me it was helpful because J was less cranky, and I usually needed the break by the time he fell asleep. Maybe if you can explain that it will help your LO from getting irritable, he'll be more supportive?

Congrats on making it through three months . . . 

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• We do something similar.  While DS (now about 4.5 months old) isn't on a regimented schedule, we go by the "rule" that he should never be awake for more than about 2.5 or 3 hours.  Even if he takes just small naps, naps do help his mood!
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Loading the player...
  • DH still doesn't get that J needs help to fall asleep, so he hangs out with him waiting for him to fall asleep vs. actively trying to get him to nap. Sometimes J will fall asleep on his own after eating, but those are more catnaps vs. longer, restful naps. Since J is pretty good about sleeping at night, I think DH feels like the days don't matter much. I am thinking about leaving a bookmarked copy of HSHHC in the bathroom for DH. 
  • imagemssaint:
    DH still doesn't get that J needs help to fall asleep, so he hangs out with him waiting for him to fall asleep vs. actively trying to get him to nap. Sometimes J will fall asleep on his own after eating, but those are more catnaps vs. longer, restful naps. Since J is pretty good about sleeping at night, I think DH feels like the days don't matter much. I am thinking about leaving a bookmarked copy of HSHHC in the bathroom for DH. 

DH used to be the same way, and it drove me crazy! He would hold J and . . . check his e-mail. Or watch TV. Finally I snapped and told him (basically), "dude, you need to focus on J and HELP him fall asleep." That, and making him read HSHHC with me, helped him a lot.

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"