Health & Exercise

runners + heart rate

Hi Ladies!

Does anyone know what heart rate we should aim to stay under while running or exercising during pregnancy?  I've heard 120, 140, etc.  I love running and probably log 25-30 miles a week, sometimes more if I am training for a big race.  I'm only nine weeks along, but I've kept up my usual running routine and I am participating in a half marathon next weekend.  I just want to make sure that my heart rate does not get too high.

Does anyone know the range I should stay in for exercising?  Does anyone have recommendations for heart rate monitors or how to figure out if you're in the right range?  Any other advice from running mamas? Thanks! 

Re: runners + heart rate

• ACOG has done away with heartrate recommendations although it seems as though a lot of OB's still give 140.  FWIW, I'm still "running" now although my mileage and times have slowed down the last two weeks.  I've not monitored my heartrate at all during my pregnancy while exercising but have used RPE and tried not to go anaerobic at all.  I had a PR in  a half-marathon at ~8 wks; everything is going fine with my pregnancy(and I'm an "old" lady by doctor standards).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The best advice would be to listen to your body.  I just stopped running last  week at 37 weeks.  For 6 weeks in first tri, I was just too tired to do it but got back into it around the beginning of second tri.  My heartrate is pretty high when I run (160s), but I've always been a runner and logged about the same amount of miles you do.  As you progress in your pregnancy, you'll slow down a bit.  My midwife said that the best indication that you are giving baby enough oxygen is to make sure you can carry on a conversation when you are running, NOT heartrate monitoring.  This has worked well for me.  Also, carry a waterbottle with you and take small sips every few minutes.  Hydration is very important.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • I still "run" although my pace has slowed quite a bit, but I just wear a heart rate monitor and keep it at or under 160. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageapril262011:
    The best advice would be to listen to your body.  I just stopped running last  week at 37 weeks.  For 6 weeks in first tri, I was just too tired to do it but got back into it around the beginning of second tri.  My heartrate is pretty high when I run (160s), but I've always been a runner and logged about the same amount of miles you do.  As you progress in your pregnancy, you'll slow down a bit.  My midwife said that the best indication that you are giving baby enough oxygen is to make sure you can carry on a conversation when you are running, NOT heartrate monitoring.  This has worked well for me.  Also, carry a waterbottle with you and take small sips every few minutes.  Hydration is very important.  Good luck!

This.  My HR is typically in the 160's while I am running, but I have absolutely no problem carrying on a conversation.  I feel very comfortable that baby is getting enough oxygen.

Your body will tell you if something isn't right.

• I always keep my heart rate under 160 for all exercises. sometimes it gets above that but i am always able to talk normally.

DS  Desmond Alexander 6.9.11

DD  Vivienne Elena   12.16.13

? EDD 3/29/2018

• MY OBGYN said if you are active, you can use an indicator that factors in your age and fitness level into your target heart rate.  I forget the name of the indicator.  She recommended that I can just pay attention to whether or not I can carry on a conversation instead of monitoring my heart rate.  However, I know myself, and until I got pregnant I always tended to push myself during workouts!  Of course, I would never plan to overdo it now that I'm pregnant, but I really wanted a clear indicator because I was afraid I would be more tired than I thought I was.  So, she said given my age and activity level, I should aim to not go above 160. 

• Thanks, ladies!  Yes, I love running with friends and we are always able to carry on conversations during our runs.  I will try to stick with this plan.  My friend is flying from CO to TX this weekend to run a half marathon with me, so I'll just make sure we're able to go at a pace where we can talk during the run. :)  Thanks again and good luck to all of you!
  • If you are an avid runner, like I am, you should have no problem with running while prego. I ran a 15K at 10 weeks and maintained a heart rate under 170. I currently take an aerobic class every mon and tues in which my heart rate gets to about 175bpm. If you are used to working out and have been since you became pregnant you should have no problem. My Doc says that I will know if im working out too hard. The point is not to push yourself to exhaustion. i use the women's New Balance heart rate monitor its confortable and the watch is cute and not too bulky. But every person is different. I am not high risk.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love my Garmin Forerunner F60 Women's.  I am a science geek and absolutely LOVE to download my workouts and analyze the HR graphs.  This watch is the best if you like graphs.  It also has a foot pod/cadence meter.

As long as you can carry on a conversation, you are fine.  You need to go with "perceived exertion" (so just listen to your body - which I'm sure you are sick of hearing by now).  Unless you have been monitoring consistently since before your pregnancy, HR numbers and ranges really won't tell you anything useful.

Have fun running and chatting and stay hydrated!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"