D.C. Area Babies

Daycare starting soon -- questions!

I can't believe my maternity leave is ending in a week and a half!  I think I've been in denial.  I have a handful of questions for you ladies to get me prepared.

How many outfits did you pack for your LOs starting out?  C can go through 3-4 outfits in a day.  Should I err on the side of too many than too little?

Did you label everything that you brought in your LOs diaper bag?  Speaking of diaper bags, what did you make sure you packed for your LO each day, aside from clothes, diapers, wipes and food/bottles?

We need to provide the diapers and wipes.  Should I just bring a large pack of diapers and wipes to just leave there, or should I bring 10 diapers each day? 

I've been pumping and freezing so I have a small stash going in to DC in the next few weeks.  I'm wondering if I should thaw the BM and send 4 bottles all ready to go, or if I can send one empty bottle and 4 bags of frozen BM.

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Daycare starting soon -- questions!

• Your daycare may have preferences about how you do these things, so I'd call them and ask. But I'll tell you what we do:

Diapers and wipes - we take in a pack of wipes and diapers at a time. They store them there and they let us know when we need to bring more.

Outfits - I'd err on the side of bringing too many. We try to make sure M has 2-3 spare outfits at any time.

Our DC wanted us to label everything - packs of diapers, wipes, bottles, other food, and outfits. Your DC may have a specific way they want you to label things, but if not, I recommend using masking tape or painter's tape and labeling with a sharpie. The tape stays on through multiple washes.

The only other thing we took for M is a sleep sack, because he sleeps in one at night. Sometimes they put him in one for naps. Another option is a blanket.

Good luck! The first few days can be tough, but it gets easier.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • doesn't the time go by quickly? audrey is almost 7 months and i still feel like she was just born yesterday! sorry your time is almost up. 

i pack a diaper bag every sunday night. i include enough diapers for the week, 3 outfits, 3 drool bibs (waterproof lining), 2 receiving blankets, 3 burp cloths, aud's favorite toy and monday's milk (DCP requires milk left over the weekend to be frozen, so i take friday's milk home and bring it back on monday). i take the bag home on friday. 

i would ask your DCP for her preference on bottles. she may want you to send bottles ready to go, or she may want to just keep bottles there and for you to send milk in the bag. my DCP keeps two bottles and i send bagged milk every day. if you decide to do that, you should give them more than one bottle, just in case something happens to one of them, there is always a back up and C won't have to use another baby's bottle.

the first day she was at daycare, i brought a large box of wipes. they tell me when i need to bring a refill. 

i labeled everything with tomas, but realized that they run a small operation and for the most part, they know who belongs to what. they also have children at different ages. if your DCP has many children C's age, you might want to label - especially if it will bug you to sometimes get someone else's clothes (and know that they have yours). in 4 years, this has happened twice, but friends have this happen at their center all the time (more kids, same sizes). we don't send expensive or sentimental items to DC. you never know what might happen to them!  with audrey, i label things that no one else should use (her bottles, milk bags, diapers). i write her initials on the front of each diaper (we use pampers and target and so does everyone else).

my dcp has a daily report that i fill out each day i bring her. i keep extra copies in the car since i never remember to complete them before i leave home. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto what pp said about asking your provider about all of this, but I can tell you what we do. 

We have two daycare bags, one for each kid that goes to our in-home DCP.  In each bag at the bottom are 3 outfits for change of clothes.  We cart the outfits back and forth in the bag every day, as the kids don't have cubbies to hold their personal things like my DD who goes to preschool (her change of clothes outfits are kept at her school).  We don't label their change of clothes because the clothes live in their bags, but for DD who goes to preschool we label EVERYTHING.

We bring sleeves of diapers and packages of wipes to her when DCP says she needs them.  She stores diapers and wipes at her house.  So a sleeve may last a week or two.  So we don't do that daily.

We send the bottles ready to go (milk thawed and in the bottles, bottles all measured out, etc.) that way DCP doesn't have to pour the milk and assemble the bottles.  Come to think of it, she probably wouldn't care.  That's just something we assumed she'd prefer to make it easier.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Definitely ask your DCP for their preferences. The first day, we sent a fully stocked backpack with outfits, a few toys, diapers, etc. that they keep for an emergency. Then, we send everyday for each baby: 2 outfits, 2 bibs, a sleep sack, a sleep sheep, a few jars of baby food, and a few toys. Our DCP likes infants to bring a few of their own toys b/c babies put their mouths on everything and this helps prevent colds from spreading. We also pack the sleep sheep b/c they sleep with a white noise machine at home and I think it helps them nap better, especially as they are the only infants there, so they take more naps than the toddlers. That means that sometimes while they are napping, the toddlers are in the next room playing/making noise.

About every three weeks, we bring a new jar of formula, diapers, and gas drops. Our DCP provides wipes and makes bottles for us. She uses the same bottles everyday and cleans them for us.

Ask your DCP if you need to label things. We didn't have to b/c it's a small operation.

• I can't remember what we did for clothes, but I don't think I ever labeled anything, nor have I ever brought a full, packed diaper bag every day.  At the beginning, there were a few things she asked me to bring & leave (a crib sheet, a blanket, and I can't remember what else...)

I was done BF by the time we went to daycare, so I don't remember exactly how that went.  I think I just left a few bottles at her house, and brought a big canister of powder for the week.

I leave diapers and wipes, and she lets me know when she needs more.  There's a closet near the changing table is, so she keeps the kids' extra stuff in separate places.  Once in a while J comes home with a random diaper on (there's another kid her age/size), but not too often!

• My DDs go to a center, so my responses are based on that. In-home providers might have different guidelines. 

imageladywalton:

I can't believe my maternity leave is ending in a week and a half!  I think I've been in denial.  I have a handful of questions for you ladies to get me prepared. Time goes by so fast!

How many outfits did you pack for your LOs starting out?  C can go through 3-4 outfits in a day.  Should I err on the side of too many than too little? DD #1 was a serious refluxer so I sent 4 outfits and 4-5 bibs in every day because she needed them every day.  DD #2 does not have reflux and outfit changes usually only occur with a blowout.  I leave two outfits in her cubby.  If she has a blowout, then I replace the spare outfit the next day.

Did you label everything that you brought in your LOs diaper bag?  Speaking of diaper bags, what did you make sure you packed for your LO each day, aside from clothes, diapers, wipes and food/bottles?  The only thing we bring daily is food/bottles.  I label them per DCP policies - name, date and contents (I also put the number of oz on the bottle, so they can tell how many ounces she has had if she doesn't finish the bottle). There are State regs on labeling requirements and our DCP reminds us if we don't do it right.    They label all diapers and wipes.  Sunday I pack the bag with her blankets.  DCP will provide if we want, but she has certain blankets she likes.  I take them home on Friday and wash them.

We need to provide the diapers and wipes.  Should I just bring a large pack of diapers and wipes to just leave there, or should I bring 10 diapers each day?  Diapers and wipes we bring when they ask for them.  Then we send in one packet of wipes (we buy Costco wipes) and one sleeve of diapers.

I've been pumping and freezing so I have a small stash going in to DC in the next few weeks.  I'm wondering if I should thaw the BM and send 4 bottles all ready to go, or if I can send one empty bottle and 4 bags of frozen BM.  There are state regs on this.  Our DCP requires that all bottles be made up ahead of time - regardless if they are formula or BM.  I BF and I send in four bottles.  Three are made from thawed BM (90% of the time she drinks three bottles) and one from BM from the day before.  The fourth bottle is the "extra" milk in case she wants more. I make it from fresh milk so I don't have to throw it away after 24 hours.

Thanks!

Some other items you may want to bring in include diaper rash cream and sunscreen. Our DCP takes the babies outside on nice days but not all DCPs do this. Not sure if your LO uses a pacifier.  DD #1 did so I brought in clean ones every day, but DD #2 doesn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"