Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Your Friends Without Kids...

Our neighbors are our friends, and they don't have kids.  They are TOTALLY clueless, and one night I might go postal on them. 

At 2 weeks, they texted H and asked if he'd like to come down to the bar that's at the end of our block AND added that I could come too but I probably wasn't ready to leave monitor on and come down.  They were kidding, but made me mad that they thought it was okay for H to leave me with a 2 week old after I'm with her like 24/7 just so he could have some giggles.  Thankfully H knows I would break his balls if he actually went.

Last night they sent over a text at 9:30 p.m. saying they were having drinks and cigars on the patio and we should come over.  H had to text back and say that's actually all of our bed time.  I think they believe every kid goes to bed at 7 p.m. and sleeps until the next morning.  

I can't blame them because I was prob like this too.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Your Friends Without Kids...

• Options
    Actually when our first daughter was that age we went out at night with her since she slept through everything. 
    Stasa 01.15.09 * Lexi 03.24.11 * Tommy 04.27.13 * Merklet #4 due 10.10.15

BLOG    THE BABY STANDARD    FLICKR    VIDEOS

• Options

yeah, most people without kids don't have a clue what it's really like.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The child free really can't win. If they don't invite you they are snubbing you because you have kids and your feelings are hurt. If they do invite you they're being insensitive and don't care about your child.

I'm not saying you personally feel that way. I'm just saying most of the time they're damned if they do damned if they don't.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    And honestly I'd take advantage of being able to go out at anytime with a young baby because once they get older and on a rigid bedtime schedule, you're stuck unless you get a sitter.

• Options

Wow, your poor hubby.... I think his balls are already broken for letting you treat him like that.

I would have wanted dh to go. No point in both of us being cooped up and crabby...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't want to be the person with a baby at a bar.
  • Options
    imageHyfagal:

The child free really can't win. If they don't invite you they are snubbing you because you have kids and your feelings are hurt. If they do invite you they're being insensitive and don't care about your child.

I'm not saying you personally feel that way. I'm just saying most of the time they're damned if they do damned if they don't.

Totally agree. Though it might feel as if they were rubbing their freedom in your face...imagine how you'd feel if they completely stopped calling.

• Options

imagenbeseau:

No one said you'd have to be the person with a baby at a bar. You can still hang out with your friends on their patio at night.  

• Options
    True, I want them to call.  We're actually doing dinner next Friday night.
  • Options
    Oh, agreed.  I think that's fine.  I thought you meant out out with your earlier post about being out at night.
  • Options
    imageKari Merks:

imagenbeseau:

No one said you'd have to be the person with a baby at a bar. You can still hang out with your friends on their patio at night.  

Yeah, I wouldnt bring my baby to my friends patio to drink and have cigars. That's equally as bad as a bar.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKC_13:
    imageKari Merks:

imagenbeseau:

Yeah, I wouldnt bring my baby to my friends patio to drink and have cigars. That's equally as bad as a bar.

But there's fresh air on the patio!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Def no cigars around baby.  I don't even let my FIL smoke outside and then come in and hold LO.
  • Options
    imagekdodge423:
    imagenbeseau:

At 2 weeks, they texted H and asked if he'd like to come down to the bar that's at the end of our block AND added that I could come too but I probably wasn't ready to leave monitor on and come down.  They were kidding, but made me mad that they thought it was okay for H to leave me with a 2 week old after I'm with her like 24/7 just so he could have some giggles.  Thankfully H knows I would break his balls if he actually went.

Newsflash- it is.

You don't die when you have kids. Get out of the house- it would probably do you some good. Or- GASP!- you could have gone and hung out with them and left him with the baby. Sounds like it was pretty close to your home and you could have gone back quickly if needed.

It must a sports bar or something along those lines if a baby would even be allowed in there- what exactly is your problem with taking a baby there? Are you going to boycott all places that serve alcohol?

Maybe I'm just weird, but when either baby was 2 weeks old, I had no desire to go sit at a bar at night. It's one thing to go out and have a dinner to hang out with friends, and another to go sit at a bar and drink beers. I love my booze, don't get me wrong, but I don't think DH or I would have been in the mood to go drinking at that point in life. I was tired and enjoying the time at home cuddling with baby. I have socialized with friends since my kids were born, but not to go sit at a bar. Nor would I ever have the desire to bring a baby to a bar. I just think that's weird. If I want to go out and have a few drinks, I get a sitter.

• Options
    imagekdodge423:
    imageKC_13:
    imagekdodge423:
    imagenbeseau:

Newsflash- it is.

You don't die when you have kids. Get out of the house- it would probably do you some good. Or- GASP!- you could have gone and hung out with them and left him with the baby. Sounds like it was pretty close to your home and you could have gone back quickly if needed.

It must a sports bar or something along those lines if a baby would even be allowed in there- what exactly is your problem with taking a baby there? Are you going to boycott all places that serve alcohol?

Maybe I'm just weird, but when either baby was 2 weeks old, I had no desire to go sit at a bar at night. It's one thing to go out and have a dinner to hang out with friends, and another to go sit at a bar and drink beers. I love my booze, don't get me wrong, but I don't think DH or I would have been in the mood to go drinking at that point in life. I was tired and enjoying the time at home cuddling with baby. I have socialized with friends since my kids were born, but not to go sit at a bar. Nor would I ever have the desire to bring a baby to a bar. I just think that's weird. If I want to go out and have a few drinks, I get a sitter.

Are you not capable of not drinking when you are around people who have had a couple beers? That's pretty sad. There's no rule that says you have to drink alcohol if oyu go to a bar. You could simply go, hang out for a bit, then head home early (oh yes, you also don't have to close down the bar just because you went out).

Wait, wait...you are shiting me right? I thought I had to get wasted and then stumble home after close.

• Options

imagenbeseau:

this makes me think of "Sweet Home Alabama"

"You have a baby...  In a bar!"

"We'll you know, she's still on the tit so..."

the quote goes something like that

lol!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DH went down the bar last night with his friend, just for an hour or two.  I have always encouraged him to go when his friends call.  None of our friends that live nearby have kids so I know where you are coming from.  We have even put LO in the stroller and taken him to the bar several times for dinner and a drink or two.  There is no smoking in the bars in CA so I dont mind.  Plus we go early and leave early so its not rowdy.  LO was just a week old the first time we went but I kept him covered and DH and I had a nice meal and a beer!  It was heaven after a week in the house!  I would have totally gone to the neighbors to sit on the patio for drinks but the cigars probably would have bothered me too.  I would have just pulled the cover over LO's stroller and he probably would have slept the whole time anyway.  Just an hour or two will save your sanity!
  • Options
    imagekdodge423:
    imageKC_13:
    imagekdodge423:
    imagenbeseau:

Newsflash- it is.

Are you not capable of not drinking when you are around people who have had a couple beers? That's pretty sad. There's no rule that says you have to drink alcohol if oyu go to a bar. You could simply go, hang out for a bit, then head home early (oh yes, you also don't have to close down the bar just because you went out).

Not at all. But I choose to socialize with friends in places other than bars.

Is a bar the only place you can go to socialize with friends? That's pretty sad.

• Options
    Wow, I'm kinda surprised how heated an issue this became. However my baby is 5 days old, and my husbands friend is having a bachelor party tonight. It's just some friends playing cards at their house. He wasn't going to go, because he felt bad leaving me here. I encouraged him to go, because he  could use a night out. Also though we can't go to his friends wedding because we allready have plans, so I figured he should at least make it to poker night. Plus he'll be in a better mood getting some time out and it'll make everyone happier.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"