Health & Exercise
Options

Triathelon or not - What kind of bike do you suggest?

Hi Ladies-

I would really like to get a bicycle for exercise.  A few summers ago, I would get on and go - 15 miles or so - and loved it.  I had a Gary Fischer, with thick nubby tires, but (I don't think) had much suspension for mountain trails or anything.  For the most part, I really liked it. 

I'm toying with the idea of training for a sprint triathlon, but in case that idea goes the way of the dodo bird, I don't want to buy and overly race-specific bike.

My question:

1. Do you have to have a road/racer bike for a casual sprint triathelon? 

2. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money ($3 - 400 as the absolute highest), is there a bike you'd recommend?  Until now, I have been thinking of just heading to Target and picking up something.

TIA!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Triathelon or not - What kind of bike do you suggest?

• Options

My first road bike I had was a Felt WM45.  This was a women's specific bike and I LOVED it!  Brand new, it was about $750, but you can find some great road bikes on Craigslist too.  I would check that out too.  

I LOVE LOVE LOVE cycling.  It is so much fun and easy on the body and you can go so far.  I encourage you to get into it!   

• Options
    FloF9FloF9 member

I've looked at some road bikes but am sticking with my mountain bike for now.  Mother's Day will be the 3rd sprint triathalon I've been in.

The cheapest I've seen road bikes start around are about $480 (new).  This is because it was last years model and it was the last one (it was hot pink). Apparently the fork is very important because it absorbs a lot of the shock.  The next bike up was about $750 and it had a carbon fork which apparently has an even smoother ride.  The 3rd bike was about $870 and it had a titanium fork.  Everything after this jumped in price to about $1500 and higher.

A girl in my training group bought a used base model titanium bike for about 40% off - you have to keep an eye out for bike shop sales which start around end of Feb/March (in these parts anyway).  She got a used one but you'd never know it. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I love cycling and it is great for the environment.

• Triathlon is addictive but that being said, you can easily do sprints on whatever bike you already own. I wouldn't get a Tri bike until you are hooked on triathlon and you've really gotten into long rides. Some triathletes ride road bikes all the time.
    • I highly suggest a local bike shop over target. they will have all price ranges and they can really assist you in picking a good value. Most big box stores sell low quality bikes.

GL and Have Fun!

My heart is as open as the sky.
    Read about it on the blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Follow Me on Pinterest
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageFloF9:

I've looked at some road bikes but am sticking with my mountain bike for now.  Mother's Day will be the 3rd sprint triathalon I've been in.

The cheapest I've seen road bikes start around are about $480 (new).  This is because it was last years model and it was the last one (it was hot pink). Apparently the fork is very important because it absorbs a lot of the shock.  The next bike up was about $750 and it had a carbon fork which apparently has an even smoother ride.  The 3rd bike was about $870 and it had a titanium fork.  Everything after this jumped in price to about $1500 and higher.

A girl in my training group bought a used base model titanium bike for about 40% off - you have to keep an eye out for bike shop sales which start around end of Feb/March (in these parts anyway).  She got a used one but you'd never know it. 

I am thinking of training for a triathalon sprint and dont really know where to start.  I have a running coach but as far as swimming and biking I'm not sure what I need to consider as far as gear.  Can you offer me any advise or insight?

TIA!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ChristieRose -- there's not too much you'd truly need for swimming and biking.  There is a wealth of info for beginners at beginnertriathlete.com (articles on gear, training, etc.) and the people on the forums there are pretty friendly/helpful. 
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageJuberP:

1. Do you have to have a road/racer bike for a casual sprint triathelon? 

2. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money ($3 - 400 as the absolute highest), is there a bike you'd recommend?  Until now, I have been thinking of just heading to Target and picking up something.

1. Nope, you can pretty much ride whatever works for you.  I've seen all kinds of bikes at sprint triathlons -- beach cruisers, mtn bikes, fixies, etc.  Some sprints even have special categories for people who use mtn bikes.

2. If I were in your shoes, I'd just borrow a bike or ride whatever you have for your triathlon. If you then decide to stick with tris, then save up and invest in a road bike. I do NOT recommend getting a bike at a big store like Target, Walmart, etc. because the bikes there are of poor quality.  Instead, check out some local bike shops to get an idea of the types of bikes available, price ranges, sizes, etc.  Sometimes there are good sales too.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    FloF9FloF9 member

2. If I were in your shoes, I'd just borrow a bike or ride whatever you have for your triathlon. If you then decide to stick with tris, then save up and invest in a road bike. I do NOT recommend getting a bike at a big store like Target, Walmart, etc. because the bikes there are of poor quality.  Instead, check out some local bike shops to get an idea of the types of bikes available, price ranges, sizes, etc.  Sometimes there are good sales too.

This 100%.

Just invest in the basics right now - don't get caught up in the tri-gear.  For swimming: You need a bathing suit, goggle, a cap and towel.  You don't need to get the latest brand names.  Find a local pool (YMCA) or school/college pool that allows swimming to the public. For the biking just get the helmet - you can buy a cheap water bottle.  Invest in a good pair of running shoes - there are some running stores that actually film you on the treadmill and check the way your feet run.  The running shoes cost about $80+ depending on whether or not they're on sale.  It's a lot of fun - good luck!!

• Options

I would go with a used road bike for now until you see if you like triathlon.  After you have few under your belt you can look into getting a more tri specific bike.  You could also borrow or rent one if you don't want to buy.  You don't want to go to Target, because chances are you're going to end up not having a good bike with a decent fit and decent components and I would hate for that to foul your triathlon experience.

You can spend a lot of money on a bike and accessorizing it (race wheels, etc.)  The bike that I race, cost me $5500 back in 2003.  I am in the market for a new one this year and, luckily, I am sponsored by Bianchi.  Otherwise, I'd be out close to $10K for a fully decked out tri bike.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagecoconutbug:

1. Nope, you can pretty much ride whatever works for you.  I've seen all kinds of bikes at sprint triathlons -- beach cruisers, mtn bikes, fixies, etc.  Some sprints even have special categories for people who use mtn bikes.

Hilarious!!

• Options

Thank you for all of the great suggestions!!  I'm really getting excited!

I lugged my 15 year old Gary Fisher Wahoo into the shop yesterday and the repair man is going to help me revive it.  He's going to replace the dry rotted nubby tires with some that are slightly more road-appropriate. 

Oh, and I learned how to spell 'triathlon' correctly, too. Wink

Thanks!!

• Options

Definitely don't HAVE to have a road bike for a sprint triathlon- it would only make it easier.  I've done several sprints and seen all kinds of bikes.  if this is your first tri- I would either borrow one that roughly/closely fits your own height/measurements or just use what you have and decide if you want to keep doing them to invest at a later date.

we have a local triathlon club associated with our local university and thankfully I bought mine for a much reduced rate from a girl who used it as her first tri bike.  I"ve put a little bit of money in to it since (bought it over 5 years ago) just to update some things on it and replace aerobars, etc.  That was all after I decided I really enjoy triathlons.

I would really suggest looking in to local bike shops as opposed to Target.  If nothing else- they can really educate you for what to look for.  Then you could possibly look on craigslist and find a good deal on there- take it to a bike shop for any needed tune-ups.  ???

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"