D.C. Area Babies

gDiapers anyone?

Does anyone use gDiapers?  I was interested in cloth diapers when DD #1 was born, but DC wouldn't do them and gDiapers didn't exist (or I didn't know about them).  With DD #2, I was in survival mode during my pregnancy and could barely get through the day, let alone think about a new type of diaper.  I haven't asked DC if they would do gDiapers (using the disposable inserts) but if people have had good experiences with them I might ask.  I would send disposable inserts to DC and use reusable inserts at home.  We change 5-6 times per day (only poops 1-2 times per day).  She's 6.5 months old and not interested in solids yet, so the poops are still mainly BM poops and she sometimes has blowouts.  I remember fewer blowouts once solids started in earnest - is my memory fooling me?  She also sleeps 12 hours at night and I don't change her diaper, so the inserts would need to be able to hold 12 hours worth of pee.  If you use gDiapers how many covers and inserts do you need?  How does the whole washing thing work - do you wash every day or once a week?  Do you need to rinse the reusable inserts before you wash them?  What else should I know?

Re: gDiapers anyone?

• We used gDiapers and a combination of things for the first three months of DS's life.  Then we switched to disposable diapers for reasons I'll explain.

We primarily used g's.  We started out with the Tiny Gs using the cloth liners.  gDiapers are three parts: the outside cloth cover, a nylon snap in liner and then the diaper that you just push into the liner.  With the tiny Gs, the cloth liner worked well because it was quite big in it.  In the smalls, it worked some but with our DS, the front of the cloth would come together (or bunch up) in the front and we had a lot of leaks.  

To remedy this, we started folding Gerber prefolds to fit in the nylon liner.  This worked great.  It was a lot thicker and it didn't bunch up as much.  Also, their disposables were amazing.  We never had any issue with them.  We couldn't flush them at our house because we have a septic tank.  

My only other negative on the G's is that the velcro on the cloth covers really stopped being "sticky" after just the 3 months.  We didn't put them in the dryer because we didn't even have one at that time.  So that was just with washing with hot water.

Ok, so we stopped using cloth/gs because I was returning to work full time and we got overwhelmed with buying the next size (or my figuring it out) and the diapers were not getting super clean.  Front loaders don't use a lot of water and the diapers needed more rinsing - I was also having to bleach them to get them clean.  DS also had what I'll call a "pee rash" - his front was just all beet red and almost blistering because the cloth wasn't wicking.  I never did try using the microfibers or fleece liners in them.  When we switched to disposable, it cleared up.  (And I did change him very frequently)

We bought 18 small cloth inserts, 8 covers (small) and I think 10 or 12 nylon liners (if the liner doesn't have poop on it, you can reuse it!).  We also used a couple Bummis covers with the same Gerber diapers (we had 18 or so of those).  The birdseye weave diapers worked best in the gs.

Ok, hope that isn't too much information!  In short, we liked the gs but getting everything clean was a hassle and I felt equally harmful to the environment (multiple washes, hot water, bleach...)  Also, I couldn't wash the covers and the inserts together because of the color so that was an additional hassle.  you can PM me if you have anymore questions!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • You'll probably get some good responses if you post this on the CDing board. We've never used them, but most reviews I've read say that the disposable part isn't all that great because most plumbing can't handle the flushing and if you throw it away, it's now better than a disposable diaper.

We CD and use mostly BumGenius and love them. Our whole routine is rather basic and we've had very few problems (no extensive washing, bleaching, rashes like membrn mentioned). They're pricier, so they're more of an investment but our DCP loves them because they're so much like a disposable in terms of putting them on. She just tosses them in our wetbag instead of the trashcan.

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageeeclem:

You'll probably get some good responses if you post this on the CDing board. We've never used them, but most reviews I've read say that the disposable part isn't all that great because most plumbing can't handle the flushing and if you throw it away, it's now better than a disposable diaper.

They actually break down in around 100 days.  And technically, you can compost the pee disposables only.  Not sure I would do that, but hey, it's an option.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagemembrn:
    imageeeclem:

You'll probably get some good responses if you post this on the CDing board. We've never used them, but most reviews I've read say that the disposable part isn't all that great because most plumbing can't handle the flushing and if you throw it away, it's now better than a disposable diaper.

They actually break down in around 100 days.  And technically, you can compost the pee disposables only.  Not sure I would do that, but hey, it's an option.

Thanks for the responses!  I did not know there was a whole board dedicated to CDing.  I just lurked over there and read some threads where people were having rash issues.  Is that common with CD?  I thought that was part of the point of CD (other than the environmental component).  We never have rash issues with disposables and I don't want to start just to be more environmentally friendly.

I'm an environmental engineer and I work primarily with wastewater treatment plants, so beneficial reuse (composting of human waste for reuse) is right up my alley Big Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"