High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Lovenox Ladies - especially those switching to Heparin

So I'm on Lovenox - a low dosage of 30mg per day. The doctor plans to induce me at 38 or 39 weeks (still undecided) and I will stay on Lovenox until the day before scheduled induction.

I see that several of you are on Lovenox and then will switch to Heparin at 36'ish weeks. I know this is because there is an "anti" drug for the Heparin to avoid blood being too thin and losing too much during labor. My question is...are those of you who have or will switch to Heparin in the last few weeks also being induced or will you be allowed to go into labor on your own?

And for those of you who aren't switching to Heparin and will continue Lovenox until delivery, when is your doctor planning to induce?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Lovenox Ladies - especially those switching to Heparin

• Options

I will be switching to Heparin and initially the plan was for an induction around 38 or 39 weeks but my Dr has consulted with maternal fetal medicine and it looks like they will let me go full term.

I am not 100% certain what made them change their minds but I think I am more comfortable with that plan. I am on 40 mg and have had zero complications so far.

• Options
    I will switch at 36 weeks even though I will have a scheduled date at 39 weeks.  With my 1st child I delivered at 37 weeks so just in case I go early they want me on the Heparin so they can test my levels and react if they need to.
    Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

As of right now(double-checked with OB again yesterday), the plan is to switch over at 36 weeks and then wait and go into labor on my own.  Unless(as they've stressed several times) something happens that causes a change of plans.  Fortunately, I'm incredibly stable dosage-wise once the right dose is found(same was true when I was on warfarin), and baby's right on track otherwise, so...keeping fingers crossed.

My main concern at present is that they'll want to induce once I hit 40 weeks, and I don't want to unless there's something wrong with me or the baby--DH, I, and all five of our(combined) siblings were born between 41-42 weeks with no problems(and my mom has FVL too--has to have it, for me to be homozygous).  The main OB at the practice said they won't force or bully me into an induction, but did kind of imply that they'd...lean on me...more than a little in terms of "making sure I know all the possible risks of holding out."  So when I hit about 38-39 weeks I may start trying to "encourage" baby a bit so they don't induce.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

As of right now, both my OB and hemoa gree that I should just stay on Lovenox until 24 hours before a planned induction or c-section. Because I'm pg with twins, a c-section is unfortunately a strong possibility. If it's just an induction, I don't think they'll let me go much past 38 weeks (with twins, I'd be THRILLED to get to 38 weeks!) due to being homozygous for FVL

TTC for 3 years. Finally successful after 5 IUIs and 2 cycles of IVF. Our amazing twins were born 5 weeks early on 8/16/11. Found out April 2012 that our di/di twins are ID.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I switched to Heparin at 34 weeks and will be induced at 39 weeks.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mom of THREE girls!!!

Pg #1 - mc - May 2007
    Pg #2 - Sweet baby girl #1 born Oct. 2008! 
    Pg #3 - mc - June 2010
    Pg #4 - Sweet baby girl #2 born April 2011!
    Pg #5 - Sweet baby girl #3 born Jan. 2014!
    APS/MTHFR- Lovenox

• Options

I'm not a doctor, but 30/day is a low dose for sure.  I was on 40/day with my twins, and was able to have my c/s when I went into labor naturally at 33wks.  They did some b/w to make sure it was safe to do the c/s.  It was, and I didn't bleed any more than average!  If I'd made it to 36wks I would've switched to hep. 

This time I was on a 40mg 2Xday b/c the Peri and the Hem thought I probably wasn't anticoagulated enough last time.  I've just switched to heparin, and I miss my pre-loaded Lovenox injections.  I will go into labor on my own.

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i'm on 40mg/day right now, and my peri plans on switching me to heparin at about 35 weeks and inducing around 37.  After delivery I will switch back to lovenox for 6-8 weeks before going back on my baby aspirin, provided everything goes well.  So far everything has gone very well, and my baby girl is looking perfect, and since i want to keep it that way I'm fine with being induced.  I figure my doctors know more than I do about this, and I trust their judgement.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"