School-Aged Children
Options

XP-chalkboard paint

Has anyone had any experience with this? I was thinking of using it in our new home in the younger girls room on a small wall but am curious how easy it is to put on, how easy it is to clean the chalk off when the kids want to do new drawings and how easy it is to remove, once they no longer want the chalkboard paint in the room.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP-chalkboard paint

• Options

We have it directly on our wall in the basement. It's just like a chalk board. It goes on easily - just like any other paint. If I remember correctly, it took 2-3 coats. Chalk erases easily. When I want it really clean, I use a damp cloth and it looks just like new. 

I can't comment on removal because we still have it up. I'm actually kinda scared that it may take 50 coats of primer to make it fade. It is black afterall. If I were to do it all over, I probably would have just painted a piece of drywall, hung it up and used that as the chalkboard. 

Another thought, you may want to get a tray for the chalk. We don't have one and the colored chalk dust collects on our carpet beneath the "chalkboard" 

Robby's Blog

Momma Bear
    Big - 1 year old
    Bigger - 6 years old
    Biggest - 13 years old

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It also depends on the type of texture on your walls. If it is heavily textured it won't yield a smooth surface to draw on, resulting in "choppy" lines/drawings and lots of broken chalk. And will be harder to clean (even with a damp cloth).

I strongly agree that the better option may be to paint a board and hang/frame it on the wall. I have a large magnetic chalk board in my kitchen (from PBK) and honestly there is always chalk residue on the baseboards & hardwood that smears when wiped or mopped (chalk dust turns to paint when wet). But the kids love it. I would not recommend painting it in a carpeted room, at least not for budding artists with large imaginations that require a lot of erasing to create their masterpieces. Maybe paint a kindergarten size tabletop instead? Dual purpose.

DD - 06.24.02 :: DS - 03.12.10 :: EDD - 12.12.11
    Life in the Making
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"