Baby Names
Options

MaKenna?

Just saw this on FB. 

Is subbing "Ma-" for traditional "Mc-" a part of the youneek trend? Or is this an isolated incident? Or is this somehow a legit name that I'm just ignorant of?

::shudder:: 

Re: MaKenna?

• Options
    I didn't think "McKenna" could get worse....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've never seen it spelled McKenna. I knew a couple in jr high and high school, they spelled it Makenna though. Only one capital letter :D
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageSunshine is mine:
    I didn't think "McKenna" could get worse....

Oh, it can always get worse...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I've been seeing this a lot lately.  I recently saw Makaylee and Malayah on Facebook. Tongue Tied
  • Options
    ugh...I hate seeing this name.  youneek.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagelaurynfaerie:
    I've never seen it spelled McKenna. I knew a couple in jr high and high school, they spelled it Makenna though. Only one capital letter :D

Interesting! I saw quite a few 'Makenna' entries on name websites, so I thought it might have been around awhile. I've seen McKenna for sure, but never a Makenna though until now!

• Options
    MaKenna, McKenna or Makenna - they all make me Ick!.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I don't like it either way!
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I have seen this before. WHY do people capitalize letters in the middle of names?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I've seen Makenna without the capitalized K.  I don't mind it that much; there's a student with that name who is very smart and nice, so that's my association with it.  It's not one of my favorites, though.

I haven't seen McKenna yet, but in class I've had Michayla, McKayla, and Mickenzie.  All nice girls... but I don't care for the names.

Romney-Portman 2012 ORGAN DONOR: DEAL WITH IT. :-) :-)
  • Options
    My niece is a Makenna, so I can't say I dislike it ;-) but the capital K is just annoying
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Makena is a town in Hawaii.  If she had just one "n" I would think that maybe she had some connection to Maui. 

I am a huge fan of traditional names (DD is Katherine) but I considered Makena as a middle name because I have a long history with Maui.  It is my favorite place on earth :).  There wouldn't have been a random capital "K" in the middle though... ;)

So no... the "Ma" instead of the "Mc" is not necessarily some new trend. 

• Options

imagemelody921:
    Unfortunately, I have seen this before. WHY do people capitalize letters in the middle of names?

Because it was a last name first. In Scottish, Mc means "son of" so McDonald means "son of Donald." Mac means "grandson of" so same concept. In Ireland, Mc means "son of" as well and O' means "grandson of." In "A River Runs Through It" the father makes the comment than lowland Scots use a capital letter in the middle, and in the highlands it would be Mcdonald/Macdonald.

But yeah, that's the point. It's a LAST name, not a name for little girls.

I also have a last name with a capital letter in the middle. And it can be a PITA. I wouldn't do that to a first name. It's just not something that screams "first name" to me.

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I know of a 13 yr old MaKenna. Her brother is Dustin - he's 15.
    The Journey of a Thousand Miles begins with One Step.

1998 Ovarian Cancer Survivor. 7 Miscarriages: 6w, 13w2d, 4w2d, 7w4d (DD's twin), 5w. Failed Tubal after c/s (!!): 5w2d, 6w4d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"