December 2010 Moms
Options

unexpected money...WWYD?

Sooooo...since I know money gets a little sensitive around here, I'm not going to say the actual amount.

I'm going back to work at the very end of April for the last two months of the school year.  Then, I'm NOT going to work in the summer like I usually do, then back to school in Sept.  I was saying to my husband that I wish I could just stay home in may and june too.  He said, well if you can make "x amount" in some other way, go ahead"  (not being serious).

Well, today I went to my mom's house and she told me that my grandmother wanted me to have something when she passed away (and she did in July).  Then, my mom gave me "x amount" of dollars.  Holy. Crap. 

So I guess I kind of have the option to stay home those two months.  BUT I would lose my health insurance, having to go onto my husband's which costs much more money than mine.  We would have to continue that throughout July and August because my job would basically consider me gone until I get a new contract in September.  That would cut a chunk into the money.

Should I stay home?  Or should I just go to work, knowing that only working two months before a two month break might be easy? Then I could keep my health insurance and we could put all the money into savings.  Should I just blow it all on a new wardrobe? (haha)  I should also mention that my mom and MIL will be taking care of LO in May and June, so childcare would be free.

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg

Re: unexpected money...WWYD?

• Options
    Honestly, I would work the 2 months. Though the temptation to stay home would be HUGE. But now that we have kiddos, there are always unexpected expenses and having X amount of money would be a good buffer for the "just in case"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I would go back to work.  I wouldn't want to be out of health insurance especially with my little one.  Those months will fly :)  And your grandma was such a sweetheart!! I remember your baby shower tribute to her, very special.  

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is about" photo theboys_zps97f6caa3.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageour1stbaby2010:

I would go back to work.  I wouldn't want to be out of health insurance especially with my little one.  Those months will fly :)  And your grandma was such a sweetheart!! I remember your baby shower tribute to her, very special.  

aw, thank you for remembering it.  It was the favorite part of my shower.  My one friend is still wearing it around her neck...she is due in a month or so.

• Options
    imagescrh2010:
    Honestly, I would work the 2 months. Though the temptation to stay home would be HUGE. But now that we have kiddos, there are always unexpected expenses and having X amount of money would be a good buffer for the "just in case"
    If it were me, I'd do this. Could you take some of it & do a special vacation for you guys so some of it would be enjoyed & used to spend time with LO and you'd still be able to save some (or buy cute new clothes ;-).....)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I would go back to work since you have free care for your LO.  I would put the $ in savings and do something special with it maybe a family vacation when LO is a little older.
  • Options
    Personally, I would stay home.  There may always be a way to get money, but you'll never get the time back with your LO.  My aunt watches M which is awesome that we have family doing it, but it breaks my heart every time I hear she's doing this or that now, and I'm not even seeing at home because she's too tired for anything by the time we get home.  If I got the opportunity I would totally take it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagelaurelannie:
    I would wait for something expensive to break, and then go back to work. :) That's how it goes in my house at least, last time it was the hot water heater.

Seriously, I would probably decide to stay home and then DH would total the car or something.

• Options
    kat81kat81 member
    go to work, no question.

• Options
    Go back to work. Keeping the health insurance you currently have is top priority.
  • Options
    lol my grandmother gives everyone in the family 12K every few years. It's really nice to have, I won't lie. I would work though, you never know when you'll need the insurance
    Jackson W. Holler born 12/9/10 at 7:52 a.m. He is my little miracle baby!! pPROM'ed at 23w1d and delivered at 34w Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I would go back. It's only two months and would be cheaper and easier for your health insurance. We have been gifted a good amount of money and are saving most of it. Take a little and spend it on yourself though :-)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageAllSmiles1210:
    I would go back. It's only two months and would be cheaper and easier for your health insurance. We have been gifted a good amount of money and are saving most of it. Take a little and spend it on yourself though :-)

this is what I was gonna say especially the last part :)

• Options

Thank you all...I think that I will stick with my current plan of going back to work.  With the money, a portion of it will go to pay off a debt to my in laws (not a huge one).  Another portion we will use to spend on our Wildwood vacation (not a huge expense either...my in laws get us a condo, we pay for dinners and entertainment), and the rest will go into savings to give us a good cushion.

@laurelannie: Alexander's little friend is his cousin, my SIL's son, who was born 10 weeks after him.  They are so cute together!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"