Infertility
Options

How long do frosties last?

I was wondering how long you can keep frozen eggs?  If you are successful on the first IVF can you keep the frozen eggs until after the baby is born and then use them for a second baby?  Sorry if this is common knowledge...I'm still just getting to the IVF stage. 

me 33/DH 36
ttc since 10/2008; d/x: mild MFI, stageII endo
~~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~~
11 IUI’s = 1 m/c (7w4d)
IVF#1 January 2012 BFN, FET #1 April 2012 BFN
Surprise BFP October 2012 m/c (7w), Surprise BFP April 2013 m/c (6w4d)
IVF #2: July 2013, ET 1 embryo 7/18, beta 1 @ 14dp3dt - 757, beta 2 @ 16dp3dt - 1762
U/S 1 @ 6w4d = 1 little frogger with HB of 118, U/S 2 @ 7w3d measuring right on track with HB of 160
Stick Frogger Stick! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!   It's a Girl, EDD April 7, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How long do frosties last?

• Options
    My RE told me they can last for years. He equated it to flying a plane, the dangerous parts are take-off (freezing) and landing (thawing). The in-the-air doesn't really have much effect. HTH.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Usually frosties after an IVF are frozen as embryos (not eggs). It is possible to freeze eggs only but I don't think that's what you want to know about. Frozen embryos can last for YEARS. You certainly can have a baby and then use your frosties later down the road for a second or even third child. You also should spend some time discussing with your partner what you will do with any frosties after you're finished building your family. They can be donated to another couple, donated for research, or destroyed. Some people aren't comfortable with donation because they don't want "their" kid walking around out there. Some people aren't comfortable with destroying them because they went through so much to get them and/or see them as babies. Its a personal decision, but one you should probably think about in advance. Best of luck.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    History of IF and 2.5 years TTC. The day we were to start our first IUI we received a call that changed our lives forever and 10 month old Olivia joined our family. Shortly thereafter we got a surprise BFP and baby 2 is due July 5, 2012

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"