September 2011 Moms
Options

We're replacing all the carpet in our house and OMG, it's gross!

It's disgusting!!  I told my DH that was one of my things before we had a baby, we had to get rid of this old carpet.  He's currently ripping it out of the dining room, and there is a layer of dirt underneath the carpet pad.  It's no wonder I'm always getting congested and coughing at night!

We're replacing almost everything with porcelain tile and laminate, except for the nursery and spare bedroom, which will have new carpet installed.  I will seriously never ever have carpet as the main flooring in a home again.

Anyone else doing some fun renovations before baby comes?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: We're replacing all the carpet in our house and OMG, it's gross!

• Options

We're replacing the carpet on our main floor too - luckily its only the 2 spare bedrooms (one of which is going to be the nursery) and our living room. The rest is hardwood and tile.

We also have to install a door at the stairs to our basement. I've fallen down those stairs before, and it hurt like a mother! Hopefully baby isn't as clumsy as me.

• Options
    We were going to do this in our new house, but it is so expensive. OUr old house had laminate throughout and this one only has wood in the foyer and kitchen. Living room, dining room and family room  all have carpet and I hate it. Don't even get me started on upstairs. The people hid all the stains under furniture so we didn't see anything  including the giant area of cat pee stain in the master -until our final walk though. By that time it was too late and we were homeless so we had to close. :( Basically, I hate carpet. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have wood laminate throughout and I could NEVER go back to carpet. We had so much dust under ours when we ripped them out. I love that my house feels cleaner and my allergies are way better now. We have a few area rugs that I plan to replace as they get gross.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I never really thought I had allergies, but I have noticed that sometimes when I'm at home I get kind of congested, and I cough a lot.  It was so bad last night when DH started ripping out the carpet.  I think I'm going to have to get some allergy meds to get me through! 
  • Options

Carpet is gross, it's never really clean.

For renovations, we're currently redoing our guest bathroom and bedroom. We (or now just my husband) is doing some of the work and we're having contractors do the stuff we can't do, so it's going slow. But it will be worth it. My house had 1.5 bathrooms and we're redoing the half bath to add a shower, which will be super nice.

Next year sometime, I would like to rip up the carpet on the main floor. I live in an older house and there is hardwood floors underneith. But for now, we're working on one project at a time.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    DH redid our guest room/nursery (moved a window and modified the closet). Now he's working on our 1 bathroom and is almost done. Once all its done we'll have our ducts cleaned and then right before the baby comes we're going to steam clean the carpets. I don't even want to know whats under our carpet...eeewwww!
  • Options
    We did the same and ripped out every carpet a year ago - as it was coming out you could smell the "yuck" and the air was full of dander and dust. - and the underlay was so old it was broken down too - like dust combined with the dirt. I have to say I will never own carpet after that experience.
    8/27/10 MC at 14 wks ~ 5/22/11 David was Stillborn at 23 wks Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    We did this in our first home and the previous owner had kept a mini beagle inside all the time.  Well we didn't have wall to wall carpet, we had wall to wall pee stains.  SO gross, I seriously took 4 showers a day after handling that carpet scrap.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We are also ripping up our carpet in our downstairs, stairs and hallways...  It's an absolute mess.... dust is everywhere, piles of carpet padding, etc...  We're getting new hardwood put down on the 11th and I can't wait!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"