September 2011 Moms
Options

s/o: How much weight did your doctor say he thinks you should gain?

I went for my 14 week appt today. I asked him and he told me he usually advises 25-30, but wants me to gain 35-40.

I haven't gain anything since the first appointment at 9 weeks, and lost 2 lbs so far. 

DS 7/6/09
DD 9/4/11
EDD 9/1/15

Re: s/o: How much weight did your doctor say he thinks you should gain?

• Options

My doc told me 25 pounds was good for me. I started out the pregnancy just a few pounds over average weight.

But 25 or 40 it is all for good cause.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    45ish, started out just on the border between normal and underweight, and having twins.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My OB told me to gain 20 lbs.  I weighed 130 lbs, 5'6" pre-pregnancy.  I personally think 20 is pretty low, since everything I read says 25-35.  However, at 18 weeks I had only gained 2 lbs so I guess I'm on track to only gain 20?  I've been working out every day and eat very healthy.
  • Options
    I'm a fatty patty so she said not to gain more than 10 by 20 weeks and if I stay under 25lbs total my c-section risk is reduced by 75%, so 25 is my max goal.
  • Options

My dr hasn't told me any specific amount.  I didn't know it was common to give a specific recommendation.  She told me not to get on a scale unless I was at their office and they would tell me if I got to a point where we had to worry.

I gained 7lbs in the first 6 weeks and 1lb more at the 16 week appt for a total of 8lbs.  That was two weeks ago and I have absolutely no idea what I weigh right now. Thank you dr for not making me worry about it!

• Options
    My ob doesn't care about weight.. I didn't even ask. My friend had him and asked and he just said 35 is normal anything more is just harder to work off. My ob is overweight though so I don't know if he can comment on gain :) like my moms fat dr telling her to lose weight..
  • Options
    Per the standard recommendation based on BMI, I should gain 15-25 lbs.  I'm a dietitian so I'm pretty aware of these things.  That said, my doc never had any concerns with my first pregnancy and none this time around thus far (I'm only up about 2 lbs as of my last appointment).  She's pretty relaxed unless you are gaining way too much.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    She did not give me a number, but I had gained 8lbs at my 16 week appointment and she said I was "right on track!".
  • Options
    My midwife didn't tell me how much to gain.  Given my pre-pregnancy weight, though, I do know how much she'd recommend, and I'd like to keep it on the low end of that scale.
    Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Options
    I've lost 20-some lbs since getting pregnant, but I've gained back two since my last appointment, YAY! They wanted me to gain 25, and still do, so if I gain 25 , then have a 7 lb baby (not counting water and placenta...) I'll weigh less after giving birth then I did pre pregnancy!
  • Options
    Mine didn't say.  My goal is 25-30 lbs...if the doc feels I'm gaining too much/little, I think he would say something.  He looks at the chart every time, and they graph the weight on the computer, which he brings to the room. 
  • Options

imagecaffinated_tulip:
    I've lost 20-some lbs since getting pregnant, but I've gained back two since my last appointment, YAY! They wanted me to gain 25, and still do, so if I gain 25 , then have a 7 lb baby (not counting water and placenta...) I'll weigh less after giving birth then I did pre pregnancy!

This was me last time around.  My original OB was not at all proactive in treating my borderline HG and I lost 12 lbs before I finally started gaining and was on zofran until I was in my 8th month.  I only ended up gaining 11 lbs for the entire pregnancy and DD was 8 lbs 11 oz.  I was back in my regular clothes in no time.  I guess that's the only real "perk" for being sick for so long.   

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    My doctor hasn't said anything about weight. With my first pregnancy I gained 25 pounds and they said it was perfect. I am hoping to gain the same amount with this one.
  • Options
    Dr didn't say anything about my weight, but given my pre-pregnancy weight, my dietitian said only 15ish lbs, which shouldn't be difficult now that I'm on the GD diet. Doing this diet for 11 weeks with my DD I gained 17lbs total, and was at exactly my pre-pregnancy weight leaving the hospital (and DD was just under 7 lbs - all that placenta and amniotic fluid weighs more than you would think :P). I imagine doing the diet for 25+ weeks will have a very similar effect. 
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My high risk doc said he'd actually be ok if I lost a few pounds.  My regular OB hasn't said anything about how much to gain, or not to gain for that matter.
  • Options
    I haven't talked to my current OB about it, but my OB with Nate didn't have a goal, she just didn't want me gaining more than 1 lb in a single week. After 22 weeks, I was gaining 1.5-2 lbs per week, so we had lots of talks about this...
    imageimageimage
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I asked my OB b/c he never said anything.  I was 2lbs down at my last appt from pre-pg weight.  I'm a little overweight so I figured he would go with less than the average.  He told me 35 lbs and my jaw hit the floor!  I do NOT want to gain that much, which he said he knew I didn't.  I said I was thinking more like 15 lbs and he said at least 20.

My appetite came back and I've already gained a pound in a week, so I might not be very realistic with my goal  :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageChefSarah22:

imagecaffinated_tulip:

This was me last time around.  My original OB was not at all proactive in treating my borderline HG and I lost 12 lbs before I finally started gaining and was on zofran until I was in my 8th month.  I only ended up gaining 11 lbs for the entire pregnancy and DD was 8 lbs 11 oz.  I was back in my regular clothes in no time.  I guess that's the only real "perk" for being sick for so long.   

This post is one of the best posts I have read in a long time. I have really been worried about my weight loss from HG, but your post gave me some reassurance that my baby will be healthy and a normal size. So thanks for this!

When I saw my dr. at 6 weeks, I was 10 lbs overweight, and she told me that the target gain should be around 15 but not to freak out if it was more. That was only the goal. But, I ended up losing 15 from HG and being hospitalized a couple times for nutrient deficiencies...so now she is happy that I have stopped losing. I think I have gained 1.5-2 lbs back- but that may just be water, who knows. At this point, I am trying to gain weight back...but my ob has said don't be surprised if I don't reach my pre-pregnancy weight now, so I don't know.

Lilypie - (hfj2)
  • Options
    My doctor wants me to aim for 30-35.  Since I am tracking pretty closely so far with my first pregnancy, I doubt it will happen though.  He was less than impressed with my lack of weight gain at my last pregnancy, but I reminded him that I had a healthy 8lb 6 oz baby last time ... so apparently this is just the way my body does pregnancy!
  • Options
    My OB hasn't given me a number... I'm still down 6lbs from my start weight and I'm 16 weeks now... I wasn't overweight to start with just struggled so bad with MS... hoping to be able to start gaining soon.... and hoping to start being able to enjoy food again!!!
  • Options

I've gained about 3 lbs, MD says I should gain 30-35. I'm 5'10, and was just over 200 at the beginnig. It's going to vary depending on your body type and how you carry your weight to begin with.

DH and I were just discussing this yesterday. I look like I've gained more than I actually have, but I think it was because I couldn't eat or keep anything down for the entire first trimester and things have just shifted around. DH has actually gained 24 lbs since I've been pregnant.(He was underweight, so it's healthy gain for him...I think it's cute. I tease him that he's going to gain all my weight for me :D. )

BabyName Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

My doc just said not to go overboard (more than 25 pounds or so), but that it really is on me because I will have to lose it after the baby is born. I was a little shocked because I was expecting him to say no more than 15 or so, or even none at all based on my pre-pg weight. So far, I am down about 10 pounds according to my scale at home.

I know it is controversial, but if he would have said to shoot for no weight gain, I would do my very best! I know I am overweight and it is my fault (as much as I would like to blame hypothyroidism and PCOS, I can't).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"