August 2011 Moms
Options

Worried...Please Read Me

We got some sad news today...my dad had melanoma last year taken off his back. They did a biopsy of his lymph nodes after the surgery and he was all clear that it hadn't spread. Well my mom checks his back pretty regularly for any sort of discoloration or lumps of any sort. About a month ago she found a lump about the size of a quarter right next to where he had the melanoma taken off before. They finally went to the doctor on Monday and the doctor was concerned and scheduled him to go into surgery to remove the lump yesterday. It ended up being a pretty large tumor, around the size of a sand dollar? They did a biopsy on it and the results came back today and it's melanoma again. We are so devastated.

He goes in Tuesday to get a scan done of his whole body to see if it has spread to any where else in his body. If it comes back negative they will do surgery on the area again and take a skin graft from his leg. If it comes back positive he will have to start Chemo.

I am just an absolute wreck. I've been crying all day and am just so scared that I might loose my dad from this. I am terrified all of this shock and stress may make me have a miscarriage. Does anyone know if stress like this can cause a misscarriage? I'm so worried about it I feel like I want to call my doctor or something. Someone please tell me something I can do to chill out. All my friends are calling and I can't even hold it together enough to pick up the phone.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Worried...Please Read Me

• Options

That is without a doubt really difficult and I really feel for you. I lost my Mom as a little girl, and I fully understand how sensitive these things are.

The best I can tell you is to try to stay as calm as possible until you get the test results. You might get great news. I usually try to keep busy and keep life as "normal" as possible, even if that includes asking friends to hold off bringing it up unless you do first.

I haven't heard of stress causing miscarriage this late, but I still think you should try to be as calm as humanly possible. Can you do something like go see a movie that forces you to go out but still not tempt you to talk about it all the time? 

Rest assure dthat you'll be in all our thoughts and prayers.

• Options
    @SethandMel: Thank you so much for your kind words. I think a movie might be a good idea. I'm just trying so hard to calm down bc I know it's not good for the baby. Hopefully Tuesday will bring good news...I am sorry you lost your mom too:( Thank you so much for your response
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Man, that's tough.  We went through cancer last year with my father-in-law and it's not easy... I hope that he doesn't need chemo...

I agree with PP about trying to relax... Just make sure you're not too stressed.  I don't think that stress could cause a miscarriage this late, but I know in general stress isn't good for pregnancy for other reasons. 

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
  • Options

I am so sorry that you are going through something as terrible as this. I know how stressful thinking about losing a parent can be. I lost my mother about a year ago unexpectedly and now I am always worried about my dad anytime he even gets sick.  The only thing I can suggest is to try and stay positive until your dad has his scan. I know that is easier said than done (trust me), but it is really the only thing that you can do at this point. You will obviously worry because you care so much about your dad, but worrying before knowing the extent of the melanoma.  

How are your parents doing with all of this news? I am only imagine how your whole family is feeling right now. I will say this- it is amazing how dillegent your mom has been with checking on your dad. I am hoping and praying that her checking so often will have helped catch this early.

Good luck and please keep us posted  

• Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this. Your dad has beat this once! I hope that the scan shows no signs of spreading, and surgery is all he will need. Try to stay positive and calm. Getting all upset won't change the outcome. I know it's hard, but you have got to think positive thoughts. Take things one day at a time, and try not to let your mind wander forward without the answers you need or have today. There is a book series called "Keep Calm. Carry On". It has inspirational quotes and things. It might help to check it out. I'm sending lots of good vibes your way. Keep us updated!
  • Options

I'm so sorry to hear. Thoughts and prayers for good news!

As for stress, it's not good for anyone, pregnant or not. Whether it can cause a miscarriage is still an on going debate from what I have read. But stress can raise your blood pressure and that isn't good while you are pregnant. High blood pressure can cause Preeclampsia or Gestational Hypertension. Try not to stress your self out too much (easier said then done, I know) and just breathe. You want to be able to get this grandbaby into the world for your dad. Good luck with everything!

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

THank you all so much for everything you've said. It's amazing how many wonderful people are on this board...you all don't know me but you still take the time to write something that will hopefully make me feel better. I do need to "Keep Calm and Carry on" as they say. Worrying will not do anything you're right. My sister is in the same boat I am...pretty much a wreck. My mom and dad though are staying calm and collected which I'm sure they feel like they have to. Deep breaths...

Thank you all so much for the support and I will post an update after the scan on Tuesday

• Options
    Good luck hunny. I know its tough & we are all thinking of you. Just hang in there, and as the PP's said, TRY and stay as calm as possible. Its in Gods hands... and like someone else said maybe you will get good news? Anyways, BREATH and go have some hot tea. (hugs)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow our journey here: Isabella's Special Heart.... BLOG: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/IsabellaSanchez ****** Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm so sorry you are going through this difficult time!  I agree that trying to watch a movie, or do something to keep yourself busy would be best, otherwise you are just going to get yourself even more worked up.  I got a tattoo on my back last year after going through 2 miscarriages (the flowers represent what would have been their birth flowers), and what you said above made me think of it, so I'll post it!!!  Thinking of you and hoping that all turns out well for your dad and family!

Photobucket
    PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
  • Options

First....many thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Cancer runs in my family, and we have had some scares, so I completely understand what you are dealing with. BIG hugs to you.

Second....the stress:
    All I can say is-- try your best to remain as calm as possible. Do some yoga, exercise as often as you can, take long showers/warm baths, drink soothing hot teas, distract yourself with a new hobby (arts and crafts maybe), talk to friends often to vent.

Take care. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. I can't imagine how scary it is. Just come to us when you need someone to lift you up. Your sisters on this board will be there for you. Keep us updated, I'll be thinking and praying for you and your family, especially your father. ::hugs::
  • Options
    I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. We had a bone cancer scare with my father a few years ago and I was a nervous wreck. I think the important thing is to just take it one day at a time and stay positive. If he does have to go through chemo you can still keep a positive outlook on things and hope for the best. That will help you and your baby. I am glad your mom kept an eye on things and maybe they caught something before it got out of hand. I wish you the best.
  • Options
    im gonna send you a PM....
    imageimage
  • Options

I am very sorry you have to go through this.  In September of 2009, my mom was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma when my sister was 7 months pregnant.  My whole family are worriers by nature, especially my little sister.  I was shocked at the way she took control of everything.  My dad was scared, I was terrified, and I can't imagine how my mom felt.  She was waiting for her first grandchild to be born and was diagnosed with Stage II cancer.  My sister cried to me on the phone, but when it came time for my mom's initial consults, she took a deep breath, waddled herself in with her legal pad Smile, and asked a litany of questions.  She would flat out tell doctors, "we need you to make this phone call to get us an appointment faster.  Next week isn't good enough."  I don't know if her maternal instinct took over or what, but I was amazed at the way she handled things.  She expedited things so much for my mom just by her organization and persistence.

I guess my point is that you're still dealing with the initial shock and with being scared.  Hopefully, when you either find out everything is clear or when you get a more definitive diagnosis, your family will be able to take control of the situation with a plan, and you'll be able to settle your worries (even if it's just a little bit).  Your family will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers in the coming weeks!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am so sorry you are going through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your father and the entire family.

I doubt at this point in your pregnancy you have to worry about miscarrying due to stress, but just for your sanity try to remain as calm as possible though i know its diffficult. Please keep us posted .

• Options
    Sad Sorry you have to be going through this, especially while pregnant. Try to stay positive everything will probably turn out fine. As far as miscarrying goes i believe once you hit 20 weeks they would consider it preterm labor and that can usually be stoped. I dont really know if thats helpful or makes you feel any better but i just wanted to throw that out there. also somebody said about stress  causing preeclampsia and that isnt true at all. Nobody knows what causes preeclampsia. Docters have speculated that it is caused by a problem with the placenta. It causes extreme high BP but is not caused by it.
    BabyName TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through this.  My dad was diagnosed with melanoma last year (fortunately it was caught before it spread), so I can sympathize with how stressed and worried you must be.  I don't think the stress can cause a miscarriage, but maybe call your doctor in the morning just to put your mind at ease so you have one less thing to worry about.  I will be thinking about you and sending positive thoughts your way.
  • Options

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. T&P are headed his way.  I know this is not easy (I watched my dad battle stage 4 cancer at a very young age) but hopefully they caught it early and he will be able to fight it again. Try and stay positive.  Worry about things as they come and not what could be.  99% of the time, the things we worry about and make ourselves sick over do not actually happen.  When they do, the worrying did us no good anyway.  If you can, do some yoga to help you meditate - it really helps.  I don't think you can m/c this late because of stress but that's not to say it's okay to be this stressed like this. Do whatever you need to do to calm yourself down.  *hugs*

Please keep us posted.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I hope the scan goes back clean and that it hasn't spread to other parts of his body. We'll all be thinking of you! 

As far as stress and miscarriage goes, please don't worry yourself. I know that is easier said than done, but that is just adding to your total stress level. Women go through very stressful situations like this all the time and deliver healthy babies... Just be sure to take care of yourself and relax as much as you can when you have the chance. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"