Breastfeeding
Options

spitting up and choking

DD loves to eat, shes 3 weeks old and wants to eat sometimes 16 times a day. My ob had to prescribe a medicated ointment for my breasts because she is so demanding. but for the past week, she's been eating, and when I burp her she doesnt burp, but occasionally passes gas, and then I will put her in her crib, and she will spit up... It freaks me out because she lays on her back, and I dont want her to drown in it! but why is this happening and how can I stop it? Also, shes been choking a lot... when she nurses she sometimes chokes, and when she does, she lets go and wont latch back on, so she doesnt finish the feeding. and she chokes when she cries hard... is that normal? 

the spitting up also concerns me becaue it's usually a flood of liquid, and I'm beginning to wonder if shes puking up everything she just ate... I'm not sure how much she actually drinks when she nurses.

if anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it. thanks. 

Re: spitting up and choking

• Options

Maybe reflux? I'd talk to your pedi about it -- the spitting up and pulling off the breast in pain could be symptoms. Could just be normal too, though, since babies do spit up a lot (ours did at that age, and believe me, it's less liquid than you really think).

The pulling off could also be due to overactive letdown -- milk basically flows so fast it chokes him a little bit. Do you sometimes spray when you let down? If so, take him off and let the flow spray into a burb cloth for a few seconds, and then see if he'll latch back on.

As for spitting up when he's on his back, it happens to all babies at least sometimes, and they don't choke -- they know enough to turn their heads. So try not to worry about that. 

norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm so glad you asked this bc I had the same issue and am just now getting it all taken care of. I called a LC and she walked me through it. Sounds like you are over producing milk ( I had the same issue). What she told me to do is nurse off the same side for a 4 hour period. To pump a little on the other side (during that 4 hour period) just to stay comfortable. After 4 hours switch and do the same thing 4 hours on the opposite side. This will lower your milk supply a little so baby isn't choking. It also ensures that your baby is getting enough of the hind milk. This may be the reason for spitting up. My little lady wasn't getting enough and she was having all kinds of issues like spitting up, blood in her stool, and gassyness. 

Another thing to try is have the baby sitting on your leg while feeding so gravity is kinda woking against the milk. If she starts choking pull her off and let your milk slow down. I keep my nursing pad near and let it empty into that. Keep in mind that your milk supply will decrease at around 6 weeks and that will help too. Take a look at Kellymom.com. in the search look up heavy let down and they have pictures there of ways to nurse and maybe some more tips that I forgot.

I hope I helped. I was so ready to give up nursing bc I felt like it was hurting the baby. I was so heartbroken! Hang in there! Elli is doing so much better now. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Most young babies spit up sometimes, since their digestive systems are immature, usually spitting up is normal. Babies often spit up when they get too much milk too fast. This may happen when baby feeds very quickly or aggressively, or when mom?s breasts are overfull. The amount of spit up typically appears to be much more than it really is. If baby is very distractible (pulling off the breast tolook around) or fussy at the breast, he may swallow air and spit up more often. Some babies spit up more when they are teething, starting to crawl, or starting solid foods.

for all babies, not just breastfed babies:

Spitting up usually occurs right after baby eats, but it may also occur 1-2 hours after a feeding.

Half of all 0-3 month old babies spit up at least once per day.

Spitting up usually peaks at 2-4 months.

Many babies outgrow spitting up by 7-8 months.

Most babies have stopped spitting up by 12 months.

If your baby is a ?Happy Spitter?--gaining weight well, spitting up without discomfort and content most of the time -- spitting up is a laundry problem rather than a medical issue.

Oversupply or forceful let-down can cause reflux-like symptoms, and usually can be remedied with simple measures. Food sensitivities can also cause excessive spitting. The most likely offender is cow's milk products (in baby's or mom's diet). Other things to ask yourself:is baby getting anything other than breastmilk - formula, solids (including cereal), vitamins (fluoride, iron, etc.), medications, herbal preparations? Is mom taking any medications, herbs, vitamins, iron, etc.?

signs of severe reflux:

• Inconsolable or severe fussiness or crying associated with feedings.
    • Poor weight gain, weight loss, or failure to thrive. Difficulty eating. Breast/food refusal.
    • Difficulty swallowing, sore throat, hoarseness, chronic nasal/sinus congestion, chronic sinus/ear infections.
    • Spitting up blood or green/yellow fluid.
    • Sandifer?s syndrome: Baby may ?posture? and arch the neck & back to relieve reflux pain--this lengthens the esophagus and reduces discomfort.
    • Breathing problems: bronchitis, wheezing, chronic cough, pneumonia, asthma, aspiration, apnea, cyanosis.

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Options
    about the over active letdown: what does that feel like? Cuz I don't spray ever... I just drip a little sometimes. and i have noticed that she kind of nips & naps, she will gulp like 5 times and rest and then go again. so feedings take forever. 
    and will changing how i alternate breasts by feedig on the same breast for 4 hours reduce my milk production? one of my breasts randomly got smaller than the other, so im afraid that im drying up in one breast. is that even possible? 
    thanks for the advice
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"