Parenting

How do you know if your kid is eating TOO much?

DS2 would (and often does) eat all day long.  I swear if I never cut him off or the food didn't run out, he'd just keep eating.

The boys had animal crackers for snack and DS2 had a snack-size bowl full and then a second.  He wants more.

The other night, he wanted H's plate of spaghetti instead of his own.  It was a dinner-sized plate and covered.  H figured he'd eat a few bites and then give up, but DS2 ate the entire plateful.

Last week, he wanted more ham lunchmeat.  I'd already given him two additional servings, so H just put the container on the table.  He ate all but one piece of what was left (it was maybe half gone, if even, before that).

It does seem to be more often with foods he likes, but it's not always unhealthy/unpopular choices.  If he acts starving, I give him choices like yogurt (which we try to keep to a minimum since too much dairy upsets his stomach), fruit, a whole wheat bagel with cream cheese, etc.

It just seems like for two, he eats a TON.  I don't want him to be hungry, but I don't want him to overeat, either.  At what point do I cut him off?

Re: How do you know if your kid is eating TOO much?

• I am curious about this.  My DS is only a baby, but if he keeps up this eating pattern. . . ugh, I'm going to go broke.

I always worry that he's one of those kids who can't feel full and we'll have to put a padlock on the fridge.

However, he always signals when he's "all done" so I know he does have an endpoint.

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • Growth spurt? DS would go through phases like that right before he grew. DD ALWAYS seems to be like this, and she's almost 2. I swear, the girl can out-eat me.
  • Loading the player...
  • I offer things like carrot sticks when they're saying they're still hungry when I think they've had enough to eat. With dinner, they can get seconds of whatever they want since it's all fine to eat seconds of. With snack, they can have how much I serve them and after that they either can have the baby carrot sticks or leftover veggies from meals that week.
  • imagegoodheartedmommy:
    I offer things like carrot sticks when they're saying they're still hungry when I think they've had enough to eat. With dinner, they can get seconds of whatever they want since it's all fine to eat seconds of. With snack, they can have how much I serve them and after that they either can have the baby carrot sticks or leftover veggies from meals that week.

This is what I do, too.  I always have carrots, celery, and cucumbers cut up in the fridge, along with a lot of fresh fruit.  If she says she's still hungry after having a snack food, like crackers or whatever, I'll tell her she can eat as many veggies as she wants or a banana or something.  That and I usually try to get her to drink some water to see if that will help fill her up a bit.

• imagegoodheartedmommy:
    I offer things like carrot sticks when they're saying they're still hungry when I think they've had enough to eat. With dinner, they can get seconds of whatever they want since it's all fine to eat seconds of. With snack, they can have how much I serve them and after that they either can have the baby carrot sticks or leftover veggies from meals that week.

Ditto!

• My boys are a bit older (4&6) but they EAT! We offer BIG breakfasts with good protein. Lunch is sandwiches with veggies on the side. My guys would eat and eat and eat but we have put them on a schedule for meals and snacks.

Just to give you a peek into my grocery trip (and I am feeding 3 boys, MH included) 3-4 gallons of milk, 2-3 loaves of whole sprout wheat bread, about 75-100 bucks in produce, 1-2 dz eggs and a bout 75-100 bucks in lean proteins- that's just a portion of what we buy too!

~Lisa
    Mum to Owen and Lucas Daisypath Wedding tickers>
  • My 19 mo old eats like a grade schooler. Dinner tonight was 2 pieces of california pizza kitchen pizza, a half a banana, and a half cup of green beans, 2 crackers while he waited, and milk! I dont restrict any foods except crackers, cheese, and granola bars I think...nothing else comes to mind
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This is not a problem I have with my kids, the opposite, but I have been to a number of nutritionist and they all say that kids the age of your 2nd child do not have enough good memories associated with food to over eat (most people over eat because they remember food they had before and liked).  I would feed him as much healthy food at he wants.  I don't even limit unhealthy food with my kids, but they barely eat it.  If it is high in nutrients, feed it to him. 
  • Max is the same way and has been since birth.  At 2m we had to put him on Alimentum and a can would last us literally 2.5 days.  At $25/crack.  He cost more to feed than the other three of us combined!

Now he's a bit better, but some days he eats more than me - easily.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"