Multiples
Options

If you had a c-section?

How was the recovery in general?

Did you feel like company the same day?

HOw long was your hosp stay?

When could you/did you drive?

On MOn. I am having my twins by c/section at 37w1d which is quite a miracle as I've had ptl since wk 25. and been in hosp since 3/9.

With my son I had vag. delivery so I was just wondering how other people made out.

Thanks in advance. 

Re: If you had a c-section?

• Options

1. I was in no pain the first day (hello, morphine pump), it hurt like a b!tch the second and third days, and after that, it got significantly better every day. Was pretty much 100% after 2 weeks.

2. I didn't mind, but I was high as a friggin kite. I doubt I was good company.

3. Boys were born on Tuesday morning, I was discharged Saturday afternoon.

4. My doctor wanted me to wait 2 weeks.

Good luck Monday! Great job!

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Options
    imagepraying*4one:

Not bad at all.  I had my c-section at 4:00 pm and had them remove my catheter at 10 am the next morning.  I wanted to get moving ASAP.  That first walk to the bathroom felt like the longest journey of my life, but it got better and better.  By the time I came home I was fine.  I only would do the stairs once or twice a day, and I REALLY took it easy.

I was so drugged and on my baby high I didn't feel much of anything!  My girls were born at 4:45 and 4:46 pm.  My parents and sister were in the waiting room.  We told DH's family and my brothers that we would call them when it was available to visit.  I got to my room around 6:30 and that's when I really met my girls.  The rest of the fam came at 7, and were gone by 9. I asked my friends not to visit until the next day.

Delivered Friday, left Tuesday.

You're not supposed to until 2 weeks later.  I did it exactly two weeks later.

On MOn. I am having my twins by c/section at 37w1d which is quite a miracle as I've had ptl since wk 25. and been in hosp since 3/9.

Congratulations!  You'll be great!

With my son I had vag. delivery so I was just wondering how other people made out.

Thanks in advance. 

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

1. Recovery wasn't all that bad.  Stay on top of your pain meds and it will help a ton!

2.  I didn't mind visitors at all!  I was so out of it I barely remember who all came!  My sisters came and visited, and they told me the other day that I was pretty funny...

3.  I delivered early Tuesday morning, and I was there until Saturday afternoon.  My stay was prolonged because I had some blood pressure and blood platelet issues.

4. Like PP said, two weeks.

Good Luck!! 

Livian Elizabeth and Alayna Marjorie!  On their way to 3!
    Lilypie - (mtvk)
    Lilypie - (WdLV)
  • Options

I had a vag deliver with the first twin, second degree tearing, and a section with baby B (tried to flip her, just didn't work:) My husband asked me two weeks later if I did it again which one I would pick....section hands down.

I was there four days because the hospital made me. I was up and in the shower the next day, visitors came from the day they were born. I think I was driving by day 6. It does really hurt but I was determined to take care of my own babies as much as I possibly could. 

Good luck, you'll do great! :)

Born at 36 Weeks, 2 Days

Luke 6.12 lbs, Alexandra 5.15 lbs.

April 5th, 2007-Isabella and Robert. We miss you. Born at 22 weeks, 2 days.

• Options
    imagepraying*4one:

How was the recovery in general? It wasn't as bad as I expected. I wasn't in a great deal of pain the first 24 hours (love morphine) but after that I was definitley hurting. Definitley get up and moving as soon as they tell you to - it really does help a great deal. Also stay on top of your pain killers.

Did you feel like company the same day? Later in the day we had just our immediate family. I didn't have any guests other than immediate family in the hospital mostly because the babies were in the NICU and I spent most of my time there. We were also there for Christmas so immediate family came and did Christmas in the hospital :)

HOw long was your hosp stay? Over a month :) But I was on bedrest. From the day of delivery to when I was discharged was 5 days.

When could you/did you drive? I drove at the two week mark. I felt fine, and needed to drive in order to get back and forth to the NICU to see the babies. My doctor also gave me the green light to drive.

Thanks in advance. 

Good Luck!! :) You did a great job baking those babies!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagepraying*4one:

How was the recovery in general?  I don't have anything to compare it to, but I didn't think the recovery was too bad.  The first few days were painful, but stay on top of your pain meds and you'll be fine.

Did you feel like company the same day?  My parents, DH's parents, and my Grandmother were at the hospital the day I delivered.  It was fine.  Would I have wanted everyone I ever met there?  No.  Actually, it was the next day when I didn't really want any visitors because that was the day I felt the worst.

HOw long was your hosp stay?  I delivered on a Friday and left on Tuesday.

When could you/did you drive?  I'd always heard two weeks, but my OB said that as soon as I could quickly move my foot from the gas to the brake to stop and wasn't on the heavy pain meds (percocet) anymore, I could drive.  I waited until my two week checkup just to be safe, but I probably could have driven earlier as I only took the percocets for a week.

Good luck!  Everything will be fine.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    1.   the hardest thing for me was getting up out of bed for the first time 24 hrs after the c-section. Overall I think it was a pretty easy recovery, I had to have help standing or hiking my leg up into the shower and getting in and out of the car. Really I just moved alot slower than I normally moved.2.   I had friends probably 6 hours later and was so out of it. I was on magnesium for pre-e so I don't know if it was from that plus the painkillers. By the next day I was up for visits.3.   I had the kids sunday morning and was gone by wednesday morning so 3 nights.4.   When I was off all pain medicine, DH was home for the first 3 weeks so he just drove that entire time because he could go get the car and pull it up.
    Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think a lot of it depends on what you need to do. My friend, a military wife, whose husband works long hours and already had a toddler was driving by 1 week because she had to. You just do what you have to do and get through it. If you can afford to stay home and relax and have a husband or family come and take care of things than that's even better, but when it comes down to it, after surviving 9 months of pregnancy we can do whatever needs to be done if we have to! :)
    ~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

How was the recovery in general? Better than I'd expected.  I was sore, and had to take it slow, and I had a lot of limitations - but it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined. 

Did you feel like company the same day? After the c-section they administered morphine into my spinal block, so it didn't make me as woozy and groggy as if they'd given it to me in my IV.  It was awesome - seriously ask about it!  I still felt tired and sleepy - but not totally out of it.  All three of my siblings were there, as was my sister in law and parents.  Honestly, that was the best day for guests because I was more sore and drugged up the other days.

HOw long was your hosp stay?  I stayed for the full 5 days.  They would have let me leave on day 4, but since my girls were still in the NICU, they let me stay the 5th.

When could you/did you drive?  I think I drove the third day home (day 8) - but I probably shouldn't have.  I stopped taking the pain killers as soon as I could, and probably couldn't have reacted as quickly as I would have needed to if there was an impending accident.  But there wasn't anyone to get me to the hospital that morning, and I was bound and determined to see my babies.  I think about a week after I'd gotten home (2 weeks after c-section) would have been a better idea.

Good luck!

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
  • Options

How was the recovery in general?  The first couple day were pretty rough.  The morphine they had me on was not helping at all with the pain after the surgery, so they had to switch me to another pain killer.  By the third day or so, it was just uncomfortable now and then.  I lost some blood during surgery and needed a 2 pints.  Until I got that, I was extremely tired. 

Did you feel like company the same day? I did have a few i mmediate family members visit me that night.  I was fine with that and was excited to talk about the babies, although I was really tired.

HOw long was your hosp stay?  Surgery was Wed morning and I was released on Sunday morning.

When could you/did you drive? 2 weeks after surgery

Good Luck!

• Options

How was the recovery in general? Actually it was quite easy.  I had a bad reaction to the mag that I was given because of the pre-e I had.  But after they stopped that I was feeling great.  I had great nurses that made sure that my pain meds were given at the right time.  I was not allowed up until Saturday night (delivered Friday night) but I was up and walking to the NICU Sunday morning.

Did you feel like company the same day? No, the mag and the overall nastiness from the pre-e.

HOw long was your hosp stay? I was admitted Friday night discharged Tuesday afternoon.

When could you/did you drive?  I drove a week after my c-section.  My mom went home after her and DH got into a disagreement and I was off any heavy pain meds- I NEEDED to see my boys in the NICU so I drove myself.  I am sure the nurses in the NICU thought I was nuts since I still had high BP and should have been in bed all day- tough I was not staying away from my boys.

• Options
    How was the recovery in general? I had a c/s with older DD and this recovery seemed easier.  It could have just been or rather seemed that way since I was so incredibly miserable the last couple weeks that  being sore from the c/s was way better than being pregnant with twins!Did you feel like company the same day? I had the girls around noon and was in my postpartum room with dh, mil, my mom and gma by 3:30pm. I felt fine, totally just fell asleep while everyone was there but I was so happy to have finally had the babies.HOw long was your hosp stay? I stayed from Tuesday until Saturday.When could you/did you drive? I drove 2 wks pp.  
  • Options

How was the recovery in general? I'm 1 week out and feel great. Actually, DH and I went grocery shopping 2 nights ago, lol. The only time I really experienced pain was getting out of bed the 1st 2 days.  I was expecting MUCH worse. I didn't have a morphine drip I had some shot in the thigh every 4 hours that started with a D for the 1st 24 hours, then loritabs (sp?) and now just Motrin.  It's absolutely mind over matter.

Did you feel like company the same day? Babies were born at 11:27, I was able to see my family in recovery with the babies by 12:15- we have a huge family so someone was there pretty much every few hours for our whole stay. I liked the company.

HOw long was your hosp stay? Thursday morning C-section, was home by noon on Sunday.

When could you/did you drive? Dr says 2 weeks.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

How was the recovery in general?It was cake compared to the recovery from my vaginal birth. I LOVED my c/s.

Did you feel like company the same day? we told everyone we only wanted immediate family to visit in the hospital and to call before coming so we could let them know when a good time would be..... my c/s was at 7:30am and my MIL came around noon, and I still felt sort of out of it - kept falling asleep... thankfully she didn't care and didn't stay long.  My family came that evening and i felt pretty good then.

HOw long was your hosp stay?4 nights. My OB likes twin moms to stay 4 nights, so they get more sleep before going home :)

When could you/did you drive?he said i could drive once i was done taking percocet... for me that was 2w after they were born - i didn't need percocet during the day at that point anymore- only for bed.... but DH still drove for those first 4 weeks since he was home with me.

c/s can go bad, as can vaginal births (I had a horrible 4th degree tear with my first son... i LOVED my c/s compared to vaginal birth recovery).

make sure to keep it dry - REALLY dry - my incision took forever to heal b/c i wasn't drying it enough - once i started to use the hairdryer on it after showering (on low) it started healing so much faster.

• Options

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  It was uncomfortable but if you stay on top on your pain meds it's definitely not that bad.

Not the same day, but the day after.  I was up showered and dressed the morning after my c-section and walking down the hall to the NICU.

Five days.  They told me they could discharge me at four days but I could stay til five.  I opted to stay so I could be near my babies and have the nurses support.  They were amazing!

One week after the c-section as long as I wasn't taking anything stronger then motrin.  I stopped my meds so I could drive.

GOOD LUCK!

• Options
    kegkeg member

1.  I thought my recovery was great.  I was feeling pretty decent by the time I went home.

2.  The first day would have been great for company for me.  They kept my epidural in for 24 hours for pain control so I was basically chained to the bed.  Couple that with my babies being in the NICU, and I really had nothing to do that first day (besides try to pump).

3.  I delivered on Wednesday morning and I went home Sunday evening.

4.  I honestly can't remember how long it was before I drove.  Probably at least 3+ weeks, likely longer, just because I didn't have a real reason to go anywhere by myself.  A doctor told me the true test of when you're able to drive after abdominal surgery is when you can slam on the brakes without any hesitation.  So, when you can do that, I think you're good to drive.  

Good luck on Monday!  That's fabulous you've made it so far with so many challenges!! 

2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Options

How was the recovery in general? Not so bad. I thought it would be way worse. By the time I went home, I was feeling pretty good. It was a little hard to get out of bed, but I would compare it to having done a really hard sit up work out.

Did you feel like company the same day? I was ok for some. Like the grandparents, but I didn't want a ton. There is a lot going on and I really wanted the time to spend with my babies and learning to breastfeed takes a lot of time.  Plus having to pump after each nursing session to help build my supply for two took a lot of time

HOw long was your hosp stay? 4 nights

When could you/did you drive? I think I drove within two weeks. They say when you feel like you could slam on the breaks without your stomach hurting, then it's fine.

• Options

How was the recovery in general? Not bad.  I had a vaginal birth with DS1.  It wasn't any worse, just different.  It sucked to cough, sneeze, laugh hard, or blow my nose.  The great thing was that it wasn't terrifying to use the bathroom, and I wasn't scared when we started having sex again.  

Did you feel like company the same day?  I would've done ok, but I'm not a company person anyway.

HOw long was your hosp stay? Had them on Thursday morning and left Monday morning.

When could you/did you drive? 2w is the standard around here for vaginal or c-section.  They fear the blood loss could cause issues (I guess passing out).

Thanks in advance. 

Piece of advice:  NAIR, SHAVE, OR WAX YOUR LOOLOO.  The tape they used to hold the gauze on is strong.  If I hadn't removed the hair myself, I would've gotten a free wax job (ouch!).  

• Options
    imagepraying*4one:

How was the recovery in general? Easier than expected. The day after, I hurt because I overdid it in trying to care for the babies but by day 3, I was fine.  I told my doctor that I went to work many days when PG feeling worse than I did post c-section.

Did you feel like company the same day? Not really.  I was doped up on Dilaudid and still in the hospital gown and feeling all gross from that.  I was still pretty awake and alert for most of the day; I just didn't want a ton of people there, other than my mom and DH.

HOw long was your hosp stay? 4 nights.  Everyone said "oh, take as many days as they give you" but I regret that last night because they bugged the crap out of me all day and night long in the hospital and I would have gotten better sleep at home.

When could you/did you drive? Doctor said 2 weeks and I drove just shy of 2 wks.

On MOn. I am having my twins by c/section at 37w1d which is quite a miracle as I've had ptl since wk 25. and been in hosp since 3/9. Congrats on making it so far!  Mine were born at 37w 1d.  Best of luck to you on Monday.

• Options

OK given I was cut open and had 2 babies pulled out, lol.  It wasn't fun.  But it was ok. The first few days suck.  At a week you feel a lot better.  At two you start to feel normal.

I had my cs at 4pm, and after was shocked to have a bad reaction to the epi, was puking for hours.  So no.  But the same could happed  

How long was your hosp stay?

Friday afternoon to Tuesday morning 

A week I think - though I had nowhere to go other than the first pedi appt

• Options
    imagepraying*4one:

How was the recovery in general? The first day was pain-free wth the morphine pump but days 2-3 were really tough. After that it was better each day and I was feeling pretty good by 2 weeks.

Did you feel like company the same day? I didn't really care, I was in some sort of hazy state lol

HOw long was your hosp stay? I had them Friday and came home Monday with the babies.

When could you/did you drive? I was cleared at 2 weeks.

On MOn. I am having my twins by c/section at 37w1d which is quite a miracle as I've had ptl since wk 25. and been in hosp since 3/9. I had my babies at exactly 37w 1d too, good luck!

Thanks in advance. 

• Options
    imagepraying*4one:

How was the recovery in general? Not terrible.

Did you feel like company the same day? Mine was at night. Company the next day was okay as long as they got the hint and left within 15-20 minutes. Guests at the house during the first week were not welcome by me.

How long was your hosp stay? C-section was at 9PM Wed and I left Sunday morning

When could you/did you drive? I drove at about a week pp because I needed to go back to the hospital and it would have been a million times harder to have DH come with the babies.

Good luck

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thank you for the many replies. I'm nervous but excited too. I miss my family.....been in hosp 32days.

This could actually be easier than my vaginal...8#13oz son at 41w. I had 4th degree tear.(all the way down...yikes) and lost a lot of blood. I needed a transfusion in the ER 2 days after I got home.

My dr. said I will go home on Thurs. which is only 3 nights. I may ask for the fourth depending on how I feel. Heck, I've been here this long so I should rest up.

I am concerned with caring for a 5 y.o and twins since I'm pretty weak from BR but I have some help lined up.  Thank God for my mom. she is experienced....I'm a TWIN :)    identical sister.....and can't believe i get to be the mom to twins!! YAY

• Options
    imageMrsWhiteonWhiteSt:

How was the recovery in general? I'm 1 week out and feel great. Actually, DH and I went grocery shopping 2 nights ago, lol. The only time I really experienced pain was getting out of bed the 1st 2 days.  I was expecting MUCH worse. I didn't have a morphine drip I had some shot in the thigh every 4 hours that started with a D for the 1st 24 hours, then loritabs (sp?) and now just Motrin.  It's absolutely mind over matter.

Yeah, I'm not sure I really agree with that. Maybe for you, but it sounds like you're saying you can will the pain away. I tried that. Didn't work. ;)

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Options
    How was the recovery in general?-The first day after I was a bit sore but the best advice I had been given was to get up and move around as soon as they let you!! It is rough the first few times but well worth it!  By day 3 it was feeling MUCh better! Did you feel like company the same day?-After surgery you still have meds in you heavily! So as long as they dont mind what you might say I didnt have aproblem with company! Besides I soon realized they weren't there to see me ;) HOw long was your hosp stay?-Had babies on 3/15 Tuesday and was released 3/19 Friday When could you/did you drive?-Just got released YESTERDAY! (2 weeks post-op!) Good Luck! 
    ~Much love & luck~ The Miles'
  • Options
    imagepraying*4one:

How was the recovery in general? Mobile after a couple days, taking stairs without issue around 5 days. After the operation meds which wear off around 18 hours I took tylenol (extra strength).

Did you feel like company the same day? Yes, but during both c-sections I barfed a lot of fluid Day1-the meds make me quesy.

HOw long was your hosp stay? 3 days both times

When could you/did you drive? Doctor approved for 2 weeks.

Good luck.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"