1st Trimester
Options

First Trimester Work Out

I'm really confused as to what I can and can't do.  I love doing Yoga and was just starting to get into it before I got pregnant but I have read that a lot of the positions are not good for the baby. Like laying on your back and cut off oxygen flow to the baby. So are there any DVD's that anyone can recommend? Also what type of cardio and how often should I be doing it? I really don't like it but I know I need it.

Re: First Trimester Work Out

• Options
    there are prenatal yoga classes and dvd's.  laying on your back is not good a little further along.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Rule of thumb for cardio - if you were doing it before it's fine to continue now.  If you start something new, ease into it.  Listen to your body.  It's ok to be a little winded (I mean that's what happens when you do cardio) but certainly don't get to the point where you feel faint or nauseus.  Really any type of cardio is fine, so do what you enjoy.

Rule of thumb for weight training - Ask your doctor about suggested weight limits.  Your joints will be somewhat loose due to hormones, so the main risk here is injury to yourself.  Again, listen to your body.  Don't go too far into your flexibility range.  Back off the amount of weight you use if needed.

I do a prenatal yoga dVd but that's really all the yoga I do (well and some poses on Wii).  In general you don't want to spend too much time flat on your back and you don't want to push too far into your flexibility.  The woman on my dvd also talks about "space for baby".  So, in poses where you fold over you would modify if needed to maintain enough space.  I do Crunch Yoga Mama.

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    There are prenatal yoga classes you might be able to take. Laying on your back isn't an issue until 16 weeks (I asked my OB), although you shouldn't be doing any core or ab exercises. I am working out on the treadmill, and doing lunges and squats for my legs. I work my arms a bit too, but nothing too strenuous. I tend to work out lighter, but longer to burn calories.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I had just started doing yoga before I got pregnant so I went out and got a prenatal yoga dvd. I haven't tried it yet. I've done some walking and I'll swimming again soon.

When my sister was pregnant she was in fab shape and worked out 6 days a week. She ran every other day. She was allowed to continue but modified and continue running as long as she kept her heart rate under 180.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers daisypath PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Unexplained infertility HSG-clear, DH SA-Great 3 cycles Clomid TI with OB/GYN Switched to RE Jan2011 Feb2011 100mg Clomid + trigger + #1 IUI=BFN Mar. 12,2011 100mg Clomid + Estradiol + #2 IUI BFP 3/20/11, Beta #1 12dpiui 174, Beta #2 17dpiui 1660, Beta #3 21dpiui 6687 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"