1st Trimester
Options

Travel during 1st Trimester?

Is anyone planning on air travel during the 1st trimester?  Right now, I travel pretty frequently for work (usually only 1-2.5 hr flights) which I'm not too worried about, however, before getting KU we had already planned a 10-day trip to Ireland in April.  Tickets are booked so obviously we are still going. 

Everything I've read said to not worry and just take precautions, however, I can't help but to be a little paranoid??? Anything I should think about, prepare for, etc... aside from MS which I'm expecting to probably make this a miserable trip if it sets in by then!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Travel during 1st Trimester?

• Options
    At the end of April DH and I are flying back home... SC to IL so not too far.  I'm actually not paranoid at all!  As for your long flight to Ireland, I would just make sure you stay hydrated and get up to walk around every 2 hours or so.  Have fun in Ireland!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You can also ask your doctor for traveling tips but since you're so early in your pregnancy it shouldn't be a problem.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Make sure you get an aisle seat since you have to get up a lot. Drink a ton of water, more than you normally do when you aren't flying. A plane is very dry. Wear compression socks, it will help with circulation to prevent little blood clots. Don't worry they sell black ones now so you can't even tell they aren't regular socks. Get up and take laps around the plane, it will help with circulation. You should be on a double aisle plane to Ireland so you can literally makes laps. Take snacks on the plane like luna bars or something. You should get one hot meal an hour and half after take-off and a very light snack on landing. Otherwise, most airlines don't have any other kind of food anymore.

If you are having trouble with sickness I would either take your own trash bag or ask a flight attendant for a trash bag. There is no way I could throw up in a tiny air sickness bag. Just don't hand it to a flight attendant when your done. The FAA is bringing down the hammer when it comes to people being out of their seats when the seat belt sign is on. We just had special training a couple of weeks ago on this subject.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm an international flight attendant;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers daisypath PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Unexplained infertility HSG-clear, DH SA-Great 3 cycles Clomid TI with OB/GYN Switched to RE Jan2011 Feb2011 100mg Clomid + trigger + #1 IUI=BFN Mar. 12,2011 100mg Clomid + Estradiol + #2 IUI BFP 3/20/11, Beta #1 12dpiui 174, Beta #2 17dpiui 1660, Beta #3 21dpiui 6687 image
  • Options
    We went to Europe when i had just found out i was pregnant with LO and i was 6 weeks at the time and i just took precautions like i would when i was home. i didn't eat anything i wasen't sure of as far as cheese's and stuff like that. i would def pack crackers and stuff you can munch on my MS kicked in full blast and i was glad i had little crackers and snacks that i could throw in my purse to eat at any point of the day. also mints helped me too! i just let the people know at the airport that i was pregnant as well as far as the metal detectors and scanners and stuff. I hope this helps and have a safe and happy trip!
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We went to Honduras in February when I was about 7 weeks along.  The doctor just told me to make sure I knew where the closest hospital was just in case and to stay away from their water and any fruit that didn't have a shell (apples, strawberries, etc).  I also made sure to carry snacks and bottles of water with us wherever we went so I didn't get hungry or dehydrated.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I went to Jamaica for a week at 27 weeks and everything was fine. My doctor had no problems with it. I would have to say that the plane ride was the worst as we were crammed into coach like sausages.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagePecanSam:

Make sure you get an aisle seat since you have to get up a lot. Drink a ton of water, more than you normally do when you aren't flying. A plane is very dry. Wear compression socks, it will help with circulation to prevent little blood clots. Don't worry they sell black ones now so you can't even tell they aren't regular socks. Get up and take laps around the plane, it will help with circulation. You should be on a double aisle plane to Ireland so you can literally makes laps. Take snacks on the plane like luna bars or something. You should get one hot meal an hour and half after take-off and a very light snack on landing. Otherwise, most airlines don't have any other kind of food anymore.

If you are having trouble with sickness I would either take your own trash bag or ask a flight attendant for a trash bag. There is no way I could throw up in a tiny air sickness bag. Just don't hand it to a flight attendant when your done. The FAA is bringing down the hammer when it comes to people being out of their seats when the seat belt sign is on. We just had special training a couple of weeks ago on this subject.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm an international flight attendant;)

Great advice here! I'm off to New Zealand for a month (weeks 12-16). Thanks for the tips Smile

• Options

I forgot about the hospital thing. I was in the hospital in Ireland for 4 days (not pregnancy related). My health insurance covered the stay as 'out of network', which left a pretty hefty bill.

I wasn't exactly keen on the hospital in Ireland either. It was what I pictured a hospital in the US in the 1930s. They fasted for the whole time I was in the hospital but I still had to tell the person delivery the food for every meal and show them the huge sign above my head on my bed that said FASTING. They kept wanting to give me food.

The hospital only gives you sheets for your bed and that's it. I had to dry off with brown paper towels after my shower. A fellow crewmember brought me a blanket and towels from the hotel.

Everything takes forever there, when it comes to testing.

As far as the food in Ireland, I never had a problem with anything. I always drink bottled water no matter where I am. But I still ate veggies and fruits there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers daisypath PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Unexplained infertility HSG-clear, DH SA-Great 3 cycles Clomid TI with OB/GYN Switched to RE Jan2011 Feb2011 100mg Clomid + trigger + #1 IUI=BFN Mar. 12,2011 100mg Clomid + Estradiol + #2 IUI BFP 3/20/11, Beta #1 12dpiui 174, Beta #2 17dpiui 1660, Beta #3 21dpiui 6687 image
  • Options
    I just flew from SF to NYC for work; a 5.5 hour flight.  Make sure you get an aisle seat and drink a ton of water.  I think I drank four bottles of water on the flight out and got up to use the bathroom every hour (hence wanting an aisle seat).  Plus, getting once an hour helps your circulation. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Wow!  You ladies are so informative - I love it!!!!  Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement... I definitely feel better about leaving the country and will take all of your advice to heart. 

Can't wait to share my experience when I get back... we leave in 8 days!!!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    imagepghfan79:

Wow!  You ladies are so informative - I love it!!!!  Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement... I definitely feel better about leaving the country and will take all of your advice to heart. 

Can't wait to share my experience when I get back... we leave in 8 days!!!!

I know this one is obvious but make sure you have your Dr.'s info. (like phone #) with you, for just in case. The Country Code for the US is 001. When I was in the hospital the Dr. in Ireland called my Dr. at home on a regular basis (once again not ob/gyn related). Our husbands cannot always be reliable for this information;)

Not pregnancy related, but make sure you make a color copy of your passport and leave a copy with someone you trust at home and take a copy with you and keep some where else than your passport. This is for just in case you get separated from your passport it is easier for the US Embassy to get you a new one if they are given a color copy of the original.

• Options
    I'm going to Boston the end of April. I already don't like flying... so it should be amazing!
    ~Ashley~ Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"