Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Well, looks like we'll be headed to the ENT

Today DD was diagnosed with her 5th double ear infection in the last 4 months. We have  referral to the ENT and I'll be making an appointment for next week, since the pedi suggested we give the antibiotics some time to work before taking her to the ENT.

I know they are going to give us choices. I know one of those choices will be to wait things out and see how she does over the summer and through the next cold/flu season. Part of me would love to wait and see if she "outgrows" these ear infections and the other part of me wants to be pro-active and do whatever I can to prevent more ear infections. She's so unlike herself whenever she has an ear infection, but once she's on antibiotics she seems to go back to normal pretty quickly. *Sigh*

What would you do?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Well, looks like we'll be headed to the ENT

• Options
    I'm not sure what I would do, but sending thoughts and prayers your way!
  • Options
    We just went through this. We went with getting ear tubes and her adenoids removed. Once the doctor told me there could be hearing issues the longer we wait I said sign her up. We got the tubes about a month ago and it is amazing how much more DD is talking. Good luck with your appointment. You will know what is right for your child.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    IMHO I would do whatever I could to get her tubes.  Noah has them and way better!  Plus the more ear infections kids get it increases their chances of having hearing issues.  Good luck..I can honestly say it is worth it.
  • Options

Honestly, I didn't even hesitate when the ENT suggested tubes. After talking with the pedi and doing some research of my own, I knew that the surgery would be quick and that I would rather have him go through the quick surgery than have to worry about whether or not the fluid/infections were affecting his hearing and balance. I can tell you DS has had tubes for 3 weeks now and has shown a huge amount of improvement. He had them done on a friday and by sunday he was walking 100x better and has also started talking better. For me, I just didn't want to take the chance at any issues being caused by the constant fluid and infections. I also didn't like continuously having to give him antibiotics. I would listen to what the ENT says and if you have questions/concerns, be sure to ask them! Good Luck!

Married My Best Friend On May 23rd, 2009
    Our Little Man is Finally Here!!!
    <a href="http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/nrb0509/?action=view
  • Options

My DS had about 5 ear infections (right sided) in 3 months, including a double.  His pedi said he hated to refer to ENTs, but if he had gotten another one he would.  I asked him about the chiropractor, he told me to go ahead and try.  Levi's first chiropractic adjustment was on February 4th, he got a weekly adjustment for a month...he has not had an ear infection since the end of January now.

He still goes every 2 weeks for a slight adjustment, but I'd gladly pay my $10 copay every two weeks instead of having to deal with him being in pain and dealing with with antibiotics.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options

imageMandJS:
    Have you tried a pediatric chiropractor? I've heard AMAZING things about how that can help with chronic ear infections. 

Our health insurance won't cover it and I, unfortunately, cannot afford to pay the out of pocket price.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

my DS just got tubes yesterday..and he is already so much better! I was scared to do the procedure..but now I am relieved that I did..he is happier already!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"