Baby Names
Options

2 Part Question!

OK, so I am having some major issues with picking out a girls name.

First issue: We know we want to name her Rory, however our last name starts with an "R" as well and I'm afraid Rory R. will sound too cheesy, like a news reporter. I have also gotten comments from my husband's friends that it sounds like Scooby Doo ("ruh roh!"). It just makes me really nervous to do a name that is so matchy-matchy. Opinions?

Second issue: I cannot decide on a middle name. My Nana, who I was very close with, passed away in April of last year, and I would really love to name my baby after her. Except for the fact that she didn't have the most attractive name in the world...Jo Rita. I've heard the suggestion "Rory Jo" but that just sounds so hillbilly to me (not that "hillbilly" is a bad thing. I live in Texas, but I'm just not a big fan of the southern belle names.)

Any suggestions/opnions would be greatly appreciated!!Smile

Re: 2 Part Question!

• Options

1.  If you really like Rory go with Rory.  If you don't want her to be Rory R, then you need to pick a different first name.

2.  Rory Jo isn't too bad.  I suppose you could always go with Rory Joanne or something like that.  Personally I would choose a different first name and use Rita as a middle name, but that's just me.

• Options

What about Aurora, and you can call her Rory?  

You could use Josephine, Josie, Jodi, Joy, in honor of your nana.  

I think Aurora Joy is very pretty. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemj.reilly:

First issue:

image 14. How a name "flows" (FN/LN, Initials...)

What about Lorelei or Aurora, with the nn Rory?

Second issue:

Rory Joanna? Rory Johanna? Rory Josephine?

https://tb-babynames.blogspot.com/2010/11/middle-names.html

This!

• Options
    I agree with the other pps. Aurora Josephine or Lorelei Joy get my vote. Either of them could have the nn Rory, you honor your nana & she isn't Rory R.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • Options

I love the name Aurora and having the nickname Rory. It's adorable.

As far as the middle name, I think Jo is lovely---it's my middle name. :) I hated it as a kid, but I've learned to love and appreciate it. It's different and wasn't the cliche "Marie" or "Lynn" of my day.

At any rate, I think Aurora Jo is beautiful. What about 2 middle names if you would use Jo? Just a thought.

Good luck! :)

IAmPregnant Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that! That really helped! Our last name only has that one "R" in it and when I say it out loud, it doesn't really sound that "sing-songy". If I named the baby after my Nana, it would have to be her actual name, which was Jo (not short for anything). She gave me my middle name, which is Taylor, so maybe I'll use that. Thanks for your help!
  • Options

Two middle names is a good idea! Maybe name her Rory _____ Jo R. Then when people ask her middle name, she can just say the first one, but she'll always have my Nana's name, too.

Thanks everybody! Y'all have been a big help!

• Options

1. I would go with Aurora or Lorelei nn Rory.

2. Josephine or Johannah or Joanna would be my choice for a mn. Marita is another choice.

Lorelei Josephine R.

Lorelei Joanna R. 

Aurora Josephine R. 

Aurora Joanne R. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"