Infertility
Options

(XPost) Advice/Thoughts on IVF?

Hi all -

I incorrectly posted this, so I'm reposting it - hopefully in the right spot this time.

First, let me introduce myself - I'm new to the board and to IVF (just started BC yesterday).  I'm 40, DH is 37.  We were married about a year ago and have been TTC since.  He has a 9YO son from a previous marriage that we have joint custody of.  I miscarried once previously for no diagnosed reason.  Due to my age we bounced through the IF process pretty quickly; tried on our own for 6 months, the exciting battery of tests, and now starting IVF.  There's no cause for IF except my age; everything looks to be in good shape so we'll see what happens.  I'm nervous, edgy and feeling rather surreal.

So here's my question: what tips or techniques have you found helpful or you wished you knew when you started?  I have a history of being sensitive to medications and am already nauseous from the BC; any survival tips for any stage of this deeply appreciated - about anything, diet (I need to lose weight in the middle of this); exercise, anxiety, watch out for x or y, simple coping, anything. Thanks!
40yo; DH 37; TTC 1y. No specific DX. Beginning 1st IVF cycle 30 Mar 11.

Re: (XPost) Advice/Thoughts on IVF?

• Options

First of all welcome and I am sorry for your loss. 

It is normal to feel a little nervous about the whole IVF thing because you are investing so much energy, time, and money in this process.  I don't know if you are OOP like me but if you are, I would suggest that you keep all of your receipts in a folder - even the ones for parking so that it will easier for you during tax time.  You can get a tax deduction for it.

I also suggest that you try not to compare yourself too much to everyone else going through this process.  I think that was my biggest problem when I started out.  Everyone responds differently to meds (stims) and protocols.  It can be quite frustrating -  it was difficult to understand why someone might have 20 follies to my 3.  But on the flip side, lurking on PAIF/SAIF can be very supportive in that you will see many success stories from women similar to you. 

So, I wish you lots of luck and I hope your stay on this board is a short one!

TTC since 3/07. IVF#1 = canceled. IVF#2 = 0% fertilization. IVF#3 = BFN. IVF#4 = c/p.  
    Moving forward with Adoption 2017!
  • Options
    just wanted to welcome you and wish you much luck on your journey.
    Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, It empties today of its strength. ~Corrie ten Boom
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow. ~Mary Anne Radmacher (thank you beadinglady)

It's been a long journey. TTC since 9/06. multiple IUI's and IVF's and 4 m/c's. IVF#3 = BFP, twins, induced at 34w6d due to baby b passing away (no explanation). Delivered on 35w1d, Baby A - baby girl, and Baby B - baby boy, our little angel.
    MTHFR A1298C & C677T, Immune Issues and Factor II
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome! I hope you find the board supportive and informative!
    +++
  • Options
    imageDelta04:

First of all welcome and I am sorry for your loss. 

It is normal to feel a little nervous about the whole IVF thing because you are investing so much energy, time, and money in this process.  I don't know if you are OOP like me but if you are, I would suggest that you keep all of your receipts in a folder - even the ones for parking so that it will easier for you during tax time.  You can get a tax deduction for it.

I also suggest that you try not to compare yourself too much to everyone else going through this process.  I think that was my biggest problem when I started out.  Everyone responds differently to meds (stims) and protocols.  It can be quite frustrating -  it was difficult to understand why someone might have 20 follies to my 3.  But on the flip side, lurking on PAIF/SAIF can be very supportive in that you will see many success stories from women similar to you. 

So, I wish you lots of luck and I hope your stay on this board is a short one!

I totally agree with this.  I just turned 37, and I found my body doesn't respond to the medications in the same way as others, especially those who are younger.  I think this is totally expected, but it can be hard when you're wondering why your body is responding slower or less than others.

Unexplained infertility. TTC 2 1/2 years. 2009: natural chemical pregnancy 2010: IUI x 3 = BFN. 3/2011: IVF #1 = BFP. Loss at 6 weeks. 7/2011: IVF #2 = BFP. Beta #1: 107 Beta #2: 371 7/26 ultrasound: saw heartbeat! Our beautiful baby boy born via surprise c-section 3.16.12!
  • Options

Hi there!!

Good luck on your cycle!!! IVF can be scary, but once that ball is rolling, it does go by pretty quickly!

I don't know if you are doing Lupron, but it makes me incredibly forgetful!! So I would set an alarm on my iphone for when I needed to take my meds!  

I also keep a box of Sees candy in the box with my meds.. It may not be the best way to cope.. but sometimes chocolate is a good band aid! 

I'm also very sensitve to the meds. It seems like I get all the side effects!  

Just wanted to say Hi.. let you know you aren't alone!  So ask plenty of questions if you need to!!!

Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Couple of things that have helped me on stims. If your stomach feels sour but it's been a while since you last ate, try eating something small and bland. Saltine crackers, a bit of bagel, rice or potatoes. That settles my stomach (after 10min or so) for long enough to eat a proper sized meal- which usually keeps my sour/nauseous stomach at bay for an hour or three. Tiny snacks have been my lifesaver. Crystallized/candied ginger works well too but you have to keep eating it at a slow pace (a piece every 2-3min) through the day.

If you get tired in the middle of the day, consider a benedryl to help you go to sleep early at night and see if you can get a solid 10+ hours. My days are pitifully short but I'm capable of handling a lot more in the block of hours I'm awake.

Don't assume you'll be able to exercise beyond walking. Do it if you can, it's good for you, but don't let it add to stress or anxiety if you can't. This is a time for peace and zen where you can find it.

And good luck! It's exciting and it flies by once you get through the BCP stage. I can hardly believe that I'll have my retrieval on Sunday or Monday!

Friends for 15 years. Married 8. TTC since January 2009
    2010 Diagnosis: Anovulation and Severe MFI
    2011 Treatment:
    IVF w/ICSI #1 Antagonist: 2 blasts - c/p - BFN 04.22
    FET #1: 1 blast/1 early blast - BFP 06.22 - m/c 06.30 @6w0d
    07-11 RPL: MTHFR C677T Heterozygous & Slightly elevated ACLA IgM
    FET #2: 1 morula - BFN: 9.02

January '12: IVF #2
    Started BCP and Metformin (New!) 12-14 for stimming in January

Dum spiro, spero.
    ?SAIF/PAIF/PgAL/PAL always welcome?
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  I really appreciate the input and advice. :)
    40yo; DH 37; TTC 1y. No specific DX. Beginning 1st IVF cycle 30 Mar 11.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"