Austin Babies
Options

S/O Allergies

I will start by saying that I am not very educated on what I am about to ask so if it's dumb, I apologize. 

Does it seem like there are so many more severe allergies these days than in the past?  I know that when I was growing up kids had allergies but we didn't have "peanut free" schools or tables at school.  We weren't restricted from bringing certain foods to school, etc.  Now, it seems that there is are so many  more allergies/ intolerences/ whatever.  Is it just me or do you guys see this too? 

What do you think is the cause?  Maybe they're just diagnosing it more or they didn't know about it as much back then... Just curious what others think about it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: S/O Allergies

• Options

First, Austin is in the top 10 worst places for airborn allergies...so yeah, it's worse here.

I think now, people are just more careful.  In my parent's generation somebody suing the school for a kid accidentally getting to close to a nut was probably not going to happen.  However, schools are held liable for everything now...I can't even take a cell phone from a kid, I have to ask for it, and if they don't give it to me all I can do is write them up.  I am not saying I don't think the schools shouldn't be cautious!  I think that's necessary.

Also, allergies are genetic, so maybe more people = more allergies.  No idea.  I really think there are the same amount, we are just more cautious and more aware now.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Yes, it is much more common now. Allergies, asthma, chronic diseases. I personally am of the opinion that it's a combination of things: houses that are shut up so tightly that kids aren't exposed to fresh air and the things in fresh air, parents who won't let their kids get dirty and who slather hand sanitizer on like it's lotion, our complete germphobia that results in kids not being exposed to things they would have previously, our poor diet, and a huge amount of toxins in our environment and in our food and water supply.

We've spent the past year slowly detoxing our home - ditching chemical cleaning products, chemical-laden soaps and beauty products, etc. - and we're working on diet and other changes. Read "Toxic Overload". It was a huge eye opener for me. I have a whole list of books on the subject that have made a big difference in our lives. Just by taking supplements and eating better, I've managed to ditch the Allegra. The real test will be next year during cedar season, but I'm optimistic. I don't have severe allergies, btw, but I am mildly allergic to nature: trees, grasses, pollen, mold, dust, dust mites, ragwood, goldenrod, feathers, fur, etc. I also have mild asthma, and while I do keep an inhaler in the house, it's very rare that I have to use it. I used it a few times when I had cedar fever, and I used it when I had H1N1 last year, but that's about it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemcgee+mike:

Yes, it is much more common now. Allergies, asthma, chronic diseases. I personally am of the opinion that it's a combination of things: houses that are shut up so tightly that kids aren't exposed to fresh air and the things in fresh air, parents who won't let their kids get dirty and who slather hand sanitizer on like it's lotion, our complete germphobia that results in kids not being exposed to things they would have previously, our poor diet, and a huge amount of toxins in our environment and in our food and water supply.

I agree with this, word for word. Not just on allergies, but diseases, too.

My sister had severe allergies - dogs, things in the air, fruits and veggies, etc. She ended up with 2 black eyes and an emergency room trip about once a year, they'd get so bad. She has slowly changed the way she lives and eats. She's extremely cautious about what she puts in her mouth. She eats local honey every day. Noting overly processed or full of chemicals, If she's eating meat, free range or hormone free. You know, things you hear about that are supposed to help ... and they have helped her. There are years when she doesn't even need allergy medicine. Then, anytime she slips (meat from a restaurant, pre packaged foods, etc) and without a doubt, every time her allergies will come back.

• Options

Ditto mike&mcgee.  And to expand, all of the toxic crap we eat is terrible.  We are eating more and more synthetics and non-foods.  I have only learned since I've identified my allergy to chemical preservatives and food-dyes.  And then I started reading labels.  Oh my.  I am NOT placing blame on parents for what they feed their children; I am placing blame on corporations for packaging chemicals and labelling them "food".

• Options
    ditto mike&mcgee and FCB...it is also thought that GMOs (genetically modified organisms) are a big part of it too. peanuts, wheat/gluten...the grains/seeds, etc are almost all GMO unless specifically labeled or organic. it's so frustrating. 
  • Options

Our environment and food and toxic overload is total crap.  We take antibiotics that tear apart our guts like nobody's business.  Your gut then leaks and toxins are put in to your blood supply.  your immune system mistakes those particles as foreign invaders and attacks them.  there is your allergy.  Heal the gut, clean up your life and your food and your allergies can get better.  Just my $0.02 =)

I think it is going to get MUCH worse before it gets better.

eta:  it is not just antibiotics we take orally or for infections, it is also the antibiotics put in to our food that destroy the gut.

• Options

Ditto everyone else. I didn't even realize that GMO could be a big problem with allergies until I read Robyn O'Brien's book The Unhealthy Truth awhile back, which I would definitly reccomend to anyone interested in the topic.  Robyn also was just at tedxaustin in Feb and they released the videos last week.  I haven't had a chance to watch it yet but it must be good because I'm seeing it makes the rounds on fb :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixyrCNVVGA

• Options
    lol....i just posted that to my fb this morning.  dh and i watched it a few days ago.  I would also recommend food inc and food matters as both movies are very thought provoking and will likely change your views on food and the food industry.
  • Options
    Lyndsay...i just commented on your FB link. DH knows Robyn really well...I keep thinking there must be some way you two could join forces and create MAJOR change!!! :) 
  • Options

wasn't I just saying your dh knows *everyone* LOL!

I would love nothing more!!  like her, I think I need a bigger team.

• Options

imagejakbtx:
    Lyndsay...i just commented on your FB link. DH knows Robyn really well...I keep thinking there must be some way you two could join forces and create MAJOR change!!! :) 

YesYesYes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"