September 2011 Moms
Options

Freakning out!

I just got a call from my Doctor's office with my quad screen results. They said that my results came back with an increased risk for a neural tube defect. I am going in tomorrow for a repeat blood draw. I understand that this test isn't diagnostic, that it is just for screening and our Doctor told us that these do come back with false positives sometimes. Has anyone else had this before??? Please help calm my mind/fears! TIA!

Re: Freakning out!

• Options

I had to take a genetics class before being eligible for a 2nd trimester u/s. They explained that the majority of the time it's VERY VERY common to have false positives.

Even if your results come out to be positive there is a chance you will deliver a healthy baby. Fortunately they have numerous tests you can choose to take to make sure (though they arent very fun).

Wishing you and LO the best. Try to relax. :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks! I am hoping that it's nothing! The nurse told me that she is sure everything will be fine. That I am young (24) and healthy and we have no family history or anything.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have not had a "false positive" from blood work, but we've had markers on u/s that raised our risks for trisomies.  It is hard not to worry despite all the reassuring comments.  Listen to your dr and ask a lot of questions.  Repeat the blood work, remember you are going for your anatomy scan soon at which they'll look for neural tube defects, and see where you are after that.  If your anatomy scan is still a ways off, and the new blood work comes back as still an elevated risk, then you can request a level II u/s earlier.  Good luck.

ETA:  the markers on u/s that elevated our risk for trisomies turned out to mean nothing and we have two normal healthy kids.  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks! My anatomy scan is April 21st. The nurse did say that I can talk with my Doctor tomorrow when I come in for repeat blood work. My mom said her friends daughter had 2 of her kids results come back with increased risk and they are both completely healthy babies! Thanks for all your encouragement! I really need it now!! It is much apprecaited!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"