Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Trying potty training again for boy- 3day potty did not work-ideas

I have a 2.5 yr old boy ( be three in Sept) We tried to potty train him in January using the 3 day potty training method. HE did not take!!!!

Any other ideas about how about to go about this process 

Re: Trying potty training again for boy- 3day potty did not work-ideas

• Options

I would give it more time than three days. He might be better by the end of 3 days, but I have not ever heard a success story from the 3 day potty training guide that trained a child fully in 3 days.

I think this program gets people's hopes up, and then it's frustrating when their child doesn't train by the 3rd day. Just take it at his pace.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    He might not be ready.  DS did great with PTing at 2.5, but then completely regressed a few months later.  I put him back in a diaper and then one day he asked to wear underwear. Really smooth transition once he was in charge of it all.  He still won't poop, but he asks to try now that I told him he can ask for a diaper to poop.  It took the pressure off of him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We did a modified 3-day, as in it took way longer than 3 days, more like 3 months.  When I was on maternity leave (DS was about 3 months away from turning 3 y/o).  We put him in underwear and I set a timer on the oven and put him on the potty every 30 mins.  We would also (still do) make him sit on the potty right after breakfast b/c he almost always poops then.  He figured out pretty quick to hold his pee until we put on him the potty.  Our biggest issue has been getting him to tell us when he has to go.  This is just now starting to get better.  From everything I've heard, boys are hard to PT (not all, but mine certainly has been).  The key is consistancy, and keep an open mind that it might take a while.  GL!!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I learned with my oldest not to force it on him.  If you do, then if he ever gets upset with you, he can use toileting issues as revenge.  A GF of mine had her son pee all over his room because of this.

My DS was almost 3.5 years old and he started after a little interest with my encouragement.  We made sticker charts which he loved at that time and I made sure that we went at his pace.  He was trained in less than a week because he understood his body enough at that point and we made sure he was proud of himself!  We even started discussing his "potty party" and had it after he was dry for 2 weeks.  It consisted of throwing away a diaper, receiving underwear he picked out after mom and dad spoke about how proud we were of him and then we danced to 3 songs he picked out and snacked on his favorites.

Wait until he really is ready... I tried once when I was ready and assumed he would be and he peed through the training pants while watching the Elmo potty video.  He didn't listen to his body all day!

Jill * Married to Steven 11/9/03 * DS Samuel 4/4/05* DS #2 Jeffrey 6/13/2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"