Preemies

EEK - just had my LO - 30 wks, 6 days

Hi everyone,

soOOoo - I'm obviously new to this board, but every other board on here has been amazing and I'm sure you ladies are, too.

I'm so stressed out.

Some of you may have heard about me via a horrific event that happened six weeks ago - an arsonist got into my apartment building and set the top floor (my floor) ablaze and within a half hour everything anyone had was lost...including both of my cats. Luckily DH and I weren't home at the time because it's unlikely we would have made it out safely (full version on blog, clicky below for that). UGH. so with all that as pretext...

Two weeks ago we had our wedding which was put together by members of the community and our church to make it a joyous day - replacing things we'd lost and giving us a cake, photographer, etc...just. wow. it really was the happiest day of my life, especially after so many days of sorrow.

THEN. last Saturday night I went to work (I'm a server at a bar/restaurant) like normal - I thought the baby had shifted positions during the night and was leaning on my bladder because I was leaking and things felt a little different. But I was still all right to work...and in the restaurant industry you can't really call out unless you're literally in the hospital. I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. Three hours into my shift the pressure on my tailbone was lots and I told my manager I couldn't do it anymore...went into the back office to rest/figure out what to do. Then more pressure, and contractions, but I didn't know that's what it was...finally I called 911. My DH works with me - and prior to this there had been no complications so he thought that was a little extreme. Before long I was being rushed up to L&D, then the OR because I had gone from 6mm to full in like the time it took me to get from one room to the other - then just bam, in the OR and all of a sudden I'm being told to push........

and I was so confused and scared. I was in shock. What on earth had happened/was happening?

Tristan came out and was whisked away - he was 3 lbs, 11 oz (3 and 3 now) and 17 cm.

So here I am. I'm still stunned. He was delivered within the hour of my 911 call.

I've been home from the hospital for two days and I'm working hard to get my milk to come in. Tristan started "eating" it the night before last and so far I have produced enough for his daily feeding.

He's doing all right they tell me. He's under lights for jaundice and down to 1/2 unit of oxygen. He's just so little...

Things have been so crazy that I haven't logged into TB for a few weeks, but it was such a support through my pg that I've missed it.

I'm sure many of you have similar stories, so wondering how it went/what I might expect to expect/helpful links, sites, anything.

This has been an exhausting six weeks.

Thank you for any responses - it might be a couple days before I can get on again, so feel free to PM as well. I don't like how this board is set up so that if I don't respond right away the thread is buried, but I will return to read as soon as I can.

Nice to meet you all <3

Usually I lead a very, very quiet life!

Re: EEK - just had my LO - 30 wks, 6 days

• Wow, you have been through ALOT in the past weeks. First off, I am so sorry to hear about the horrific fire and the loss of your kitties. Congratulations of your wedding and your LO!! I am glad he is doing well. You and your LO will definitely be in my T&P. I had my LO at 31.5 weeks and he has been in the NICU for the last five weeks.

I am also from Philly:)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Glad your LO is doing so well. This board is a great resource. Also, you can start your reading at the March of Dimes website- they have great preemie info.
    Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My goodness!  That's a lot to go through!  Hang in there, the NICU is a rollercoaster, but your babies are being well taken care of. 

Congrats on your baby and welcome

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congrats on your LO.

I have been spending the last little while reading your blog.  I sat here at my desk, bawling, reading about each of your kitties.  Right Hug  You will see them again someday at Rainbow Bridge where there are waiting for you :)

• imageschenkertobe:

Wow, you have been through ALOT in the past weeks. First off, I am so sorry to hear about the horrific fire and the loss of your kitties. Congratulations of your wedding and your LO!! I am glad he is doing well. You and your LO will definitely be in my T&P. I had my LO at 31.5 weeks and he has been in the NICU for the last five weeks.

I am also from Philly:)

Thank you (for the kind words re: fire and the congrats)! How is your LO? and which hospital are you at? :)

• imageNeverEnoughTime:

Congrats on your LO.

I have been spending the last little while reading your blog.  I sat here at my desk, bawling, reading about each of your kitties.  Right Hug  You will see them again someday at Rainbow Bridge where there are waiting for you :)

Awh, thank you for reading their stories - I loved them so much. It's hard adjusting to life after them, and just...a whole new life in many ways.

• Thanks for the congrats and support, everyone. I'm getting ready to visit with him now...will read MOD's website later.

How long did it take for your milk to come in when LO arrived early? I get enough to get his lil tummy through, but I don't think it's really 'arrived' yet.

• Welcome!  I'm sorry that you've been through so much in the past weeks.  I'm glad your LO is doing well though.  Please keep us updated as you can.
  • imageurbanflowerpot:

Thanks for the congrats and support, everyone. I'm getting ready to visit with him now...will read MOD's website later.

How long did it take for your milk to come in when LO arrived early? I get enough to get his lil tummy through, but I don't think it's really 'arrived' yet.

Oh, you'll know when it's "arrived" hahaha!  It took me about 3-4 days to start getting colostrum and about a week total before my milk really came in. I remember I was already out of the hospital.

1) I was lurking on 2nd tri when I was on 1st and happened to read your original fire post. Unbelievable. What a crappy thing to go through.
    2) Congrats on the wedding AND the LO!!!
    3) Great job cooking him, my DD was 3lb12oz and she was almost 34 weeks!
    4) This board is an excellent resource...I'm sorry you have to be here, but it's a great place. I hope your NICU stay is short and sweet!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • thhthh member

Congratulations on your new baby!  I had my 1st son at 31w 0d 2 years ago.   My water broke at about 29 weeks and then I was hospitalized for 2 weeks.  He spent 31 days in the NICU.  It was such a bizarre time -- I went into auto pilot and honestly don't remember much of it.  After a day or 2 of breathing issues, we were spared the roller coaster ride that many preemie parents talk about.  He spent a month in the Feeder and Grower stage.  It sounds like your baby is a great weight, which will help him in the NICU.

Two years later, he is doing great.  He hits all of his milestones a little bit late, but nothing to be concerned about.  Love of my life (along with his little brother, who was full term and is 5 months old).

Hang in there.  The NICU phase is very stressful, but once you get that baby home, it will gradually become a distant memory.

• Wow you've had a rough time.  T&P!
  • Congrats on your little one!

I had my LO at 31 weeks 0 days at 3.1lbs (down to 2.13)  Drew was in NICU for exactly 1 month before being released at 4.7lbs.

As for the milk, I had her on a Tuesday night, started pumping the next morning and I remember waking up on Sunday morning thinking "THIS is what they were talking about" My boobs were huge and felt like they were up to my chin!  LO was tube fed until she was 3 weeks old and was home 10 days after that!  It literally took 9 days for her to go from all tube feeds to 8 bottle feeds (we started nursing with a shield as her mouth was so small and transitioned off of that within a month of her being home).

Your LO will probably be in NICU for around a month with such a great birth weight for 30 weeks!  It seems like it will take forever but I promise it will fly by and he will be home with you before you know it!

\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 BabyFetus Ticker}
  • Wow, what a crazy story!  Lots of hugs and thoughts to you, your husband, and your little boy. 
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'm totally going to play the role of creeper here, but I read your blog post about the fire a while back and my heart broke for you. Although I'm not glad that he was born prematurely and that you have to have more stress regarding the circumstances of his birth and his stay at the NICU, I am very glad that he is doing well, and I hope your NICU stay is short and sweet and that you have your boy in your arms before you know it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have no words of wisdom but I just wanted to send my T&P your way.  You are a strong woman and I'm sure you little guy will be as well. 
    PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"