Cincinnati Babies
Options

recommend your food storage containers

As I open our "tupperware" cabinets and millions of sizes and brands of containers fall on me I realize maybe I should clean this out and condense what we have or buy some new ones that are all the same and easier to store. I am looking for something to use for storing leftovers and maybe occasional fruits/veggies that are half cut or something. I feel like the plastic and I am using is probably the "bad plastic" and we're going to die of cancer so an upgrade is probably in order.

What do you have that you recommend? Thanks for any other organization tips you want to throw in pro bono.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image

Re: recommend your food storage containers

• Options
    I'm no help, we use the bad stuff too probably and our cabinet is a mess too. We do have that spin set that was sold on tv (a gift from my grandma) but they aren't the best quality.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageallobosc:
    I'm no help, we use the bad stuff too probably and our cabinet is a mess too. We do have that spin set that was sold on tv (a gift from my grandma) but they aren't the best quality.

This is what I use as well. I hate some of the sizes. I am interested to see what others have to offer. I still have some of the ziplock containers in addition to the set because the set has the wonky sizes and they aren't easy to eat my lunch out of. 

"Onward"--CathyMD Waiting since 07/5/2011 for our forever child! Yep we are adopting!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageallobosc:

This is what I use as well. I hate some of the sizes. I am interested to see what others have to offer. I still have some of the ziplock containers in addition to the set because the set has the wonky sizes and they aren't easy to eat my lunch out of. 

"Onward"--CathyMD Waiting since 07/5/2011 for our forever child! Yep we are adopting!
  • Options

imageallobosc:

• Options

We have almost exclusively switched to pyrex and love it. Glass doesn't melt or warp, doesn't stain with acidic foods like tomatoes and I don't have to worry about it going in the microwave or bottom of the dishwasher. They are heavier, but DH takes them to work without a problem.

As for what type of plastic is "safe," I recently heard this story:

https://www.npr.org/2011/03/04/134240436/plastics-new-frontier-no-estrogenic-activity

Basically, even the BPA free stuff isn't always free of estrogenic activity and they don't really know what chemicals cause it. So, I'm not convinced that paying for one kind of plastic over the other is actually worthwhile.

DD1: Sep 10 / DD2: Nov 12 / Surprise LO3: Jul 14
  • Options

We have switched to glass primarily.  We have this set from Pyrex and I really like it.  The lids are really tight so it helps keep excess air out and keeps the food fresher longer. 

https://www.pyrexware.com/index.asp?pageId=14&CatID=380&SubCatID=398&upc=71160036093

Hope this helps!

• Options
    imagemag2point0:

We have almost exclusively switched to pyrex and love it. Glass doesn't melt or warp, doesn't stain with acidic foods like tomatoes and I don't have to worry about it going in the microwave or bottom of the dishwasher. They are heavier, but DH takes them to work without a problem.

As for what type of plastic is "safe," I recently heard this story:

https://www.npr.org/2011/03/04/134240436/plastics-new-frontier-no-estrogenic-activity

Basically, even the BPA free stuff isn't always free of estrogenic activity and they don't really know what chemicals cause it. So, I'm not convinced that paying for one kind of plastic over the other is actually worthwhile.

I love my pyrex storage containers- they come in a lot of sizes and shapes, and are  I always hated storing food in plastic containers - I swear I can taste the plastic even if I don't heat the food up in the container.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

According to my scientist DH, the BPA doesn't leach out unless the plastic is exposed to extreme temps....i.e. microwaving.  So we never use the plastic storage containers for microwaving.  I have some inexpensive stuff from Kmart, some Glad, ziploc, and Dixie brand stuff, and my new fav are these Ball brand containers that I've been using to freeze in.  The problem for us was bringing leftover foods for lunch and having to microwave it.  So we got a few of these corningware containers to bring to work.  They are awesome and they sell them at the outlet in Washington Courthouse.....I just got a few more for like $5 a piece.  :-)

And FWIW.....my mom swears by those crazy green bags to store produce in....she says it keeps it fresher longer.

Jennie Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"