Northern California Babies
Options

Daycare question

I am transitioning Elena to a daycare/preschool. When I picked her up today they said they were just about to change her diaper and did I want them to do that? I asked if she had poop or pee and they said just pee, so I said I would take her home and change her. As I picked her up I realized she was wet through her pants, I changed her on the way out (in a different building) and she had pooped a while ago (slightly stuck on her skin) and it had leaked through her clothes. I know that this can happen to anyone, but it did seem like it was there a while. I want to say something but DH thinks I should try to just see if it becomes a pattern. 

So what do you think? Should I mention that my baby had a poop that had clearly been sitting there for a while, or wait and see if it happens again? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Daycare question

• Options
    Hmm, i think I would mention it, because maybe she is not very obvious when she goes and/or the poop doesn't smell much... if both of those are the case it's pretty likely they will need to check her more often than the others. At E's preschool they change them on a schedule (plus whenever it's obviously needed). You might first ask if they do have a schedule or a chart they keep track of changes with, to see if they're just going by her cues or if they aim to have a change every certain number of hours, etc.
  • Options

imageMrsJulieT:
    I would just ask tomorrow how often they change diapers. Is there a set every three hours all kids get their diaper changed or do they do it on an as needed basis. Shouldn't they have a diaper log?

Ditto. 

ETA:  Our's get changed every two hours.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It seems they have a schedule, they had changed her once in the 3.5 hours and were about to change her again, but they didn't know that she had pooped. I can smell it pretty easily but DH can't so I am not sure how obvious it is. She also does a little grunting thing whens she poops so I can tell right away. I don't think there is any log. I do worry why it was not clear to them that she had pooped. 
  • Options
    imageMy.ABC.Life:

imageMrsJulieT:
    I would just ask tomorrow how often they change diapers. Is there a set every three hours all kids get their diaper changed or do they do it on an as needed basis. Shouldn't they have a diaper log?

Ditto. 

ETA:  Our's get changed every two hours.

CA licensinsg law is every 2 hours for centers so it should be getting changed every 2 hours. I agree with others about asking about policy and asking to see the log if one exists.

• Options

As someone who has worked in child care for the last 5 years, I know for a fact they should be checking diapers every 2 hours. The last place I worked at that had children young enough for diapers required us to change them no matter what...but I'll be honest I'd let it slide if they were absolutely dry, or hardly wet at all.

I would wait to see if it becomes a pattern. It could have been a busy day, they could have been side-tracked. But definitely check her when you pick her up for a week or so and see if it's consistently a problem. Then I would for sure talk to someone.

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    imageMrsAWZ:

As someone who has worked in child care for the last 5 years, I know for a fact they should be checking diapers every 2 hours. The last place I worked at that had children young enough for diapers required us to change them no matter what...but I'll be honest I'd let it slide if they were absolutely dry, or hardly wet at all.

I would wait to see if it becomes a pattern. It could have been a busy day, they could have been side-tracked. But definitely check her when you pick her up for a week or so and see if it's consistently a problem. Then I would for sure talk to someone.

Thanks, yeah. I am pretty sure they are doing the every two hours, but then if she pooped in between how would they know? I always sniff her butt but I guess they don't necessarily do that. I hope it doesn't happen again. As I said, they were about to change her when I got there but they had no clue her diaper was FOS.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"