Working Moms
Options

how much $?

my mother will be watching my son when i return to work.  she will be watching him for 10hrs a day, 5 days a week.  I am providing everything she will need to care for him.  we are unsure how much to pay her and she has no idea either.  any one have any ideas?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: how much $?

• Options
    Cost of childcare varies greatly depending on where you live.  Where I live, a nanny (one on one care) is anywhere from about $15-$20 per hour.
  • Options
    My ILs watch DD - we went back and forth on how much to pay. In the end they decided it was better for them (as us) to do it for free.  We provide everything for DD, and take them out to dinner a few times a month, and occasionally buy them special gifts.  The tax consequences of paying them were such that it would harm some of their other income (pensions, maybe social security?) if they took anything from us. 
    But when we were talking about paying them we thought 80% of what the in home centers quoted (based on the fact we'd be providing everything)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It really depends on your situation.  DH was laid off while I was pregnant and just got a job.  So, MIL is watching Keira 4 days a week and she goes to daycare 4 hours a week.  She knows we are struggling, so she is doing it for free right now.  We do take her out to dinner and I bought her flowers recently as a thank you.  Once we are back on our feet, we will give her money.  Also, she will have to pay taxes on what ever you give her.  So, try to factor that in as well.

• Options
    LO goes to an in-home sitter 2x week, we pay her $30 a day.  MIL watches her the other 3 days, we don't pay her (her choice).  We just make sure to get her really nice gifts for Mother's Day, Christmas, etc.
  • Options
    I would find out how much DC costs in your area first to get an idea.  My mom is currently watching my DD for free, she wouldn't take money from us.  However this summer my friend (who's an elementary teacher) is going to watch her for me.  I offered to pay her the same amount that DC costs.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My cousin watches DD 4 days a week, 10 hours a day.  We discussed what would be feasible for her and arrived at $9/hr. DH thinks it's ridiculous, but my argument is taking DD to daycare would be almost twice as much and she drives to our house and also takes care of our dog (who sleeps most of the day, but still, added responsibility).

It all depends on what you are comfortable with and capable of budgeting for.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"