Snarky and T-TTC
Options

wait what?

Friends is on.  Its the one where phoebe is doing ivf to be the surrogate for her brother.  The dr. just said "We are putting in 5 embryos, that will give you a 25% chance of one baby making it." 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: wait what?

• Options
    Indifferent

I remember that!  It never ceases to amaze me how ART is portrayed on TV.  So ridiculous.
    By the way Nikki, your siggy pic is beyond adorable!  Lily is precious!  How are you feeling with this new bebe?  I hope everything is going smoothly!
    TTC #1 Dx: severe MFI
    IVF with ICSI #1: BFP
    TESE for DH 08/09/09
    ER 08/09/09; ET 08/14/09; Beta #1 08/23/09: 150; Beta #2 08/25/09: 267
    TTC #2: FET #1: BFP
    ET 06/16/11; Beta #1 06/25/11: 282; Beta #2 06/27/11: 777
    First u/s: Twins! Baby A stopped growing @ 9 weeks, forever in our hearts
    TTC #3: FET #2: c/p lost at 4 weeks
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks! shes a little ham.

This pregnancy is kicking my butt! i am paying for not having m/s last time!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Didn't Phoebe test the same day of the transfer too and get a positive hpt?  Most ART/IF storylines on tv are ridiculous.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2, Operative hysteroscopy March 2011; IVF #1 long lupron protocol April 2011-cancelled due to poor response; IVF #2 flare protocol May 2011=hospitalization due to abdominal hemorrhage during ER and no fert due to MFI issues. Moving onto international adoption from Moldova January 2013!
  • Options
    ....and she comes right home from the transfer and takes a pregnancy test.
  • Options

I used to watch Days of Our Lives, and a few years back they did an IVF story where two of the female characters just walked into the hospital and had their eggs retrieved.  No stimming, monitoring, etc.  Their husbands made the (surprise) appt for them and they just walked in and had it done...in the same room...while conscious.

Seriously.

TESE for DH 08/09/09
  • Options
    imageStacy092306:

Didn't Phoebe test the same day of the transfer too and get a positive hpt?  Most ART/IF storylines on tv are ridiculous.

"Her body has always been ahead of western medicine." Or something like that...I love that show, but yes, that story line could've been handled better. 

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options
    imageJenny829:

I used to watch Days of Our Lives, and a few years back they did an IVF story where two of the female characters just walked into the hospital and had their eggs retrieved.  No stimming, monitoring, etc.  Their husbands made the (surprise) appt for them and they just walked in and had it done...in the same room...while conscious.

Seriously.

wow thats insane.  research people, it is your friend.

• Options
    imageNikki1007:
    imageJenny829:

Seriously.

wow thats insane.  research people, it is your friend.

Tell me about it.  It wasn't even close to being a little realistic.  I remember thinking at the time that it was dumb, but having actually been through it now, it makes me see how absurd it really is. 
    TESE for DH 08/09/09
  • Options
    gidgegidge member

Don't forget that was over 10 years ago, too.... and Alice (was that her name?) seemed to be AMA   :)

• Options

NPR just did a piece today about the increasing odds for pregnancy in IVF and how they're encouraging women to just transfer one.

Seems timely given this post.

• Options

imageDr.Loretta:

NPR just did a piece today about the increasing odds for pregnancy in IVF and how they're encouraging women to just transfer one.

Yes! It's a shame we aren't like Europe where you get unlimited covered IVF's if you choose to only transfer one at a time. However, I think the reason the success rate is higher is that they count success as live birth, not just pregnancy. It sucks that in this country we are either paying for the IVF OOP or we are limited to a certain # of cycles or a dollar amount. I already transferred two without even a chemical pregnancy, so I don't think I could reduce that to one in my next IVF.

ETA: Here is the NPR Story. It's based on the dangers of carrying multiples, not just on the likelihood of pregnancy, but carrying to term and having a safe delivery.

• Options
    5?!?! Ugh.  It's thanks to shows like this we get to experience the lovely Octomom comments when I tell them about getting ready to do IVF.
  • Options
    imageSerendipitie:

imageDr.Loretta:

Yes! It's a shame we aren't like Europe where you get unlimited covered IVF's if you choose to only transfer one at a time. However, I think the reason the success rate is higher is that they count success as live birth, not just pregnancy. It sucks that in this country we are either paying for the IVF OOP or we are limited to a certain # of cycles or a dollar amount. I already transferred two without even a chemical pregnancy, so I don't think I could reduce that to one in my next IVF.

ETA: Here is the NPR Story. It's based on the dangers of carrying multiples, not just on the likelihood of pregnancy, but carrying to term and having a safe delivery.

I like Aetna's approach, per the story.

• Options
    imageDr.Loretta:
    imageSerendipitie:

imageDr.Loretta:

I like Aetna's approach, per the story.

aetna's approach is good, but my first choice is european. i should dig that article up!  
  • Options

Found it!

"In 2004, Scandinavian doctors reported that implanting one embryo at a time, repeatedly if necessary, resulted in the same final pregnancy rates as implanting several at once?with the incidence of multiples reduced to less than 1 percent of births in the sequential single-transfer group from 33 percent in the multiple-transfer group. The Swedes ran with the results: Their national health insurance now fully covers repeated IVF attempts with a single embryo but limits coverage if women instead choose to implant multiples embryos. It's too early to quantify the results, but the approach makes a lot of sense."

https://www.slate.com/id/2211151/pagenum/all/#p2

• Options
    imageSerendipitie:

Found it!

"In 2004, Scandinavian doctors reported that implanting one embryo at a time, repeatedly if necessary, resulted in the same final pregnancy rates as implanting several at once?with the incidence of multiples reduced to less than 1 percent of births in the sequential single-transfer group from 33 percent in the multiple-transfer group. The Swedes ran with the results: Their national health insurance now fully covers repeated IVF attempts with a single embryo but limits coverage if women instead choose to implant multiples embryos. It's too early to quantify the results, but the approach makes a lot of sense."

i love that they do this,  but the use of the word implant in the article still bugs me.

• Options
    imageNikki1007:
    imageSerendipitie:

Found it!

i love that they do this,  but the use of the word implant in the article still bugs me.

So true.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"