Cincinnati Babies
Options

Pumping help

I am pumping until we can confirm if Addy has a milk allergy or just had a virus.  I did not alter my diet as H, E & I all had similar symptoms show up after switching her (per the doc) to soy.  I couldn't get bf or pumping to work last time, but am so proud that so far so good this time.  I will be devestated if she really does have a milk allergy too let me tell you! 

With a baby who less than a day old was already taking an ounce & a half to two ounces at a time, we were pretty much forced to supplement, b/c I couldn't keep up and she was screaming from hunger!  Due to this I made a bad choice to give up bfing at the hospital and reconsidered & started pumping (& at the time putting her to the breast) 2 days, which makes me concerned about my supply.

Are there guidelines on how many oz. is normal by age for pumping?  She eats so much at a time it seems completely unattainable to not supplement ever.  I am getting about 1 oz. per breast right now.  And I usually need to pump about every 2-3 hours (although Addy eats every 4ish, so at night I pump when she wakes).  Is that good?  I am drinking mother's milk tea.  Pump until the milk stops & pump 5 more minutes each time.  My nips are very sensitive and anything more than what I am already doing would be painful.  Anything else I can do to help my supply other than pumping more often?

Mr & Mrs - 10/15/05
Elijah Matthew - 5/3/07 ~ Adalyn Rosemary - 3/23/11
imageimage
*Photos by Kacy Cierley*
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Pumping help

• Options

I'm no help at all - if you read my post from a couple of days ago - I'm having major pumping problems. 

I just wanted to say hang in there!! There were some really good suggestion for nips care in my post that the girls gave me if you want some tips! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I think that output is right on target, E. The average pumping output is around 2-4 oz total, so you are doing fine. 

I strongly encourage you to look at kellymom.com.  They have a ton of good information, including a feeding calculator. 

image Ready to rumble.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

1 oz per side is great and totally normal at this point in time - your supply will steadily increase for the first 12 weeks or so.  The best thing you can do at this point (even better than any supplement) is pump/nurse as often as possible (and nursing is better than pumping... maybe nurse her first then pump after - even if you don't get anything - it tells your body to make more).

Also - eat lots of nutritious calories, keep taking your prenatals, drink lots and lots of water, and rest as much as you can.

There's only so much you can do for your supply this early on... but, the amount you have is completely normal!

Good luck!!!

• Options
    Yay!  Thank you ladies!  I just am completely lost on this front & I appreciate the help/encouragement!
    Mr & Mrs - 10/15/05
    Elijah Matthew - 5/3/07 ~ Adalyn Rosemary - 3/23/11
    imageimage
    *Photos by Kacy Cierley*
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagehannah&ben:

1 oz per side is great and totally normal at this point in time - your supply will steadily increase for the first 12 weeks or so.  The best thing you can do at this point (even better than any supplement) is pump/nurse as often as possible (and nursing is better than pumping... maybe nurse her first then pump after - even if you don't get anything - it tells your body to make more).

Also - eat lots of nutritious calories, keep taking your prenatals, drink lots and lots of water, and rest as much as you can.

There's only so much you can do for your supply this early on... but, the amount you have is completely normal!

Good luck!!!

I totally agree with ALL of this, and what KristenB said.  You should absolutely be able to keep up with her -- Tyler was her size at birth, too, and the LC that visited me in the hospital told me to never let anybody make me believe that it's not possible to feed and keep up with a 10 pound baby.  It's true -- Tyler turned 18 months old last week, and he is still nursing twice a day, and thriving.  

I highly recommend, in addition to what you are doing and the advice given here, that you contact an LC for assistance.  Is there one on staff at your pedi's office?  At the hospital where you delivered?  A lactation consultant can be a valuable resource.  Just feed her as often as she demands, and your body should be able to keep up in addition to everything else.

Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • Options
    I agree with sisterkate.. I too had a big baby and it seems like it wouldn't be enough, but he was fine and gained like a champ. No worries there!!
    Hang in there Mama you are doing a fantastic job!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"