July 2011 Moms
Options

"Breast Milk Baby" doll for children- Controversy!

Good morning ladies!

I was watching Good Morning America this morning and they had a segment on a new doll for children that simulates breast feeding. The young girls attach a special bra like top and the baby's mouth actually starts to suck (obviously no breast milk or liquid comes out). It's supposed to teach young children future skills for nurturing. A lot of people are upset about this new doll- just wondering what your opinions are on it and if you would buy it for your child. Here is a link for more info.

https://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/offbeat/is-breastfeeding-doll-appropriate-20110324

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: "Breast Milk Baby" doll for children- Controversy!

• Options
    Well I'm against ALL baby dolls for little girls period. I didn't read up on it, but it doesn't sound like it would teach the benefits of BF'ing, and why would a kid need to know that "skill"?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I honestly don't see the problem in it. You buy babies that come with bottles to feed. I feel like the people who are offended by it are making to more of a sexual thing. Which to me is sad. I 100% agree with the first comment on the story.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagerookiemom9:
    Well I'm against ALL baby dolls for little girls period. I didn't read up on it, but it doesn't sound like it would teach the benefits of BF'ing, and why would a kid need to know that "skill"?

Why all baby dolls? They can be such a great educational toy for boys and girls. I'm not talking about the ones that talk and pee.

• Options

Personally I think kids (and young people) today are WAY too sexually advanced for their age.  Heck, we teach sex ed classes in elementary school now!  At the age that most girls play with baby dolls, they aren't even really interested in their own body parts.  I think calling attention to one of those parts which DOES play a role in sexual exploration later on, is starting them on the discovery path even earlier than they are now.  To me, that's not a good thing.

• Options

Ehh, whatever. I don't see at all sexual, but I still think it's kind of strange.  I like dolls that don't do anything (don't require batteries) that way kids learn to use their imaginations.  So no, I wouldn't buy that doll for her.

I'm sure DD will see me BFing the new LO & I think that's fine.  She needs to see that it's perfectly acceptable to feed your child that way.  But I'm just as sure that about 5 seconds after she sees me doing it, she is going to pick up her baby & "nurse" it because she mimics everything we do.  And I'm ok with that.

• Options

I think it's kind of ridiculous how upset everyone is about it. It's pretty standard that baby dolls come with bottles and yet when that isn't the standard in your house, this is a pretty ready solution.

DS doesn't pay any mind to dolls, but I have a few friends who's children have tried to mimic their breast feeding and baby wearing. I don't think the toy is sexualized at all and adds an interactive component. 

Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• Options
    imageeliselucas:

imagerookiemom9:

Why all baby dolls? They can be such a great educational toy for boys and girls. I'm not talking about the ones that talk and pee.

I see what you're saying, they can be educational but I don't think some kids are taught that babies are not toys. I never liked them myself, so that's probably where I'm coming from.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Bump burp.

• Options
    imagekell8807:

Ehh, whatever. I don't see at all sexual, but I still think it's kind of strange.  I like dolls that don't do anything (don't require batteries) that way kids learn to use their imaginations.  So no, I wouldn't buy that doll for her.

I'm sure DD will see me BFing the new LO & I think that's fine.  She needs to see that it's perfectly acceptable to feed your child that way.  But I'm just as sure that about 5 seconds after she sees me doing it, she is going to pick up her baby & "nurse" it because she mimics everything we do.  And I'm ok with that.

Yeah, I get that.  And I'm fine with toy interaction and role-playing for kids.  But the situation most of you describe involves the child creating his/her own scenario and using their imagination to mimic something they see.

I think the thing that bothers me most about this breastfeeding doll is that it focuses so completely on that 1 act.  Where's the imagination component?  Where's the creativity?

FWIW, I feel the same way about those dolls that pee or drink from a bottle.  It just detracts from the imagination factor to me.

• Options

Personally I think it's great. I'm not a fan of the "bra" but aside from that I think it is good for young girls to learn the best and most natural way to feed babies. Perhaps instead of it possibly bringing upon "sexual attention" it will decrease the attention as it isnt a sexual act. I dont find anything inappropriate about it but I wouldnt buy it, it's expensive and you dont need the noises and actions to pretend to breast feed a doll.

• Options
    I don't see why parents are outraged over it. If you don't like it- don't buy it.  There are tons of toys that my child will not have, but I'm not outraged that someone produced them. I do think that toy is a bit strange though. I also can't see it doing very well in stores, so why get bent out of shape? 
    imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD doesn't need a $90 doll. I don't care what it does.

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• Options

imagembritto4:

The wisest response of the post lol.

Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• Options

imagembritto4:

Seriously.  That's crazy.  Children will mimic what they see - if that's you nursing, they'll "nurse" with or without a bra thing.  I think dolls are great toys for both boys and girls - role-playing adult roles is an important type of developmental play.

Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagerookiemom9:

Me too.  I will not be buying my LO a baby doll, unless s/he asks for it and then I will think about it.  This goes for all the "toys" that reinforce the idea that women are meant to stay home, make babies, and be a home-maker - e.g. toy vacuums/cleaning supplies, toy kitchens, etc. 

• Options
    imageMuseumMaven:

imagembritto4:

Seriously.  That's crazy.  Children will mimic what they see - if that's you nursing, they'll "nurse" with or without a bra thing.  I think dolls are great toys for both boys and girls - role-playing adult roles is an important type of developmental play.

My DD manages to mimic what she sees my aunt (she fosters infants) do on her own. She asked me to swaddle her baby after she saw my aunt do it. My friend with boys has a doll too, and they have a kitchen set. Kids naturally want to mimic what their parents do. DD also has a vtech laptop (it's just games) that she sits next to MH with when he's on his MacBook. I have no doubt if she wants to be like mommy she'll just put baby up to her chest or get a bottle. Really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, she's 3. I'd be more concerned with kids thinking crocodiles are friendly and like to sing after watching Diego than wanting them to master BFing as a child.

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• Options
    imageTristaD81:

imagerookiemom9:

Me too.  I will not be buying my LO a baby doll, unless s/he asks for it and then I will think about it.  This goes for all the "toys" that reinforce the idea that women are meant to stay home, make babies, and be a home-maker - e.g. toy vacuums/cleaning supplies, toy kitchens, etc. 

I had dolls growing up, as did my brother, and as and adult I never felt it reinforced the idea that women are meant to stay home/be a homemaker.  However, I would argue that women are meant to make babies (it's not like men can, kwim?). Whether they chose to is different but the female body is specifically designed for baby-cooking.

Certainly our society pushes certain gender roles, but IMO it is not the doll that's the problem. A doll is just an inanimate object - what we as adults do with the doll, i.e. only giving them to girls, is what teaches girls that raising babies is their job. Just like only having trucks for boys teaches them that's a boy job. If more parents gave dolls to their sons, and valued their sons growing up learning how to care for others, those gender roles would change. 

imageimage
  • Options
    The only controversal things I see about it is the cost (40 euros) and that it requires batteries. Tired of dolls that need batteries. Some toys need batteries...dolls shouldn't be one of them.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options
    imageBooger+Bear:
    imageTristaD81:

imagerookiemom9:

I had dolls growing up, as did my brother, and as and adult I never felt it reinforced the idea that women are meant to stay home/be a homemaker.  However, I would argue that women are meant to make babies (it's not like men can, kwim?). Whether they chose to is different but the female body is specifically designed for baby-cooking.

Certainly our society pushes certain gender roles, but IMO it is not the doll that's the problem. A doll is just an inanimate object - what we as adults do with the doll, i.e. only giving them to girls, is what teaches girls that raising babies is their job. Just like only having trucks for boys teaches them that's a boy job. If more parents gave dolls to their sons, and valued their sons growing up learning how to care for others, those gender roles would change. 

It's just my opinion, take it or leave it Smile  Just because a woman can have babies doesn't mean that she should or is supposed to.  And I agree with you, society does push lots of gender roles/responsibilities, and I will be doing my best to teach my LO (whether boy or girl) that you can do whatever you want. 

Also, KateB, I do not consider ALL dolls in this category.  A cabbage patch doll is hardly a "baby" doll.  My kids will have dolls, I just don't see the need for a "baby" doll. 

• Options
    imageKateB1984:

imageTristaD81:
    Also, KateB, I do not consider ALL dolls in this category.  A cabbage patch doll is hardly a "baby" doll.  My kids will have dolls, I just don't see the need for a "baby" doll. 

Ah, okay. If you just plan to steer clear of those rock-hard plastic dolls that come with their own neon pink pnp, etc etc, then that I get. I consider baby dolls to be any the size that kids play baby with, like my boys do when they swaddle, diaper and rock the Cabbage Patch doll (that really was about the size of a real newborn). I think of non-baby dolls to be older dolls (like Groovy Girls, for example) and I much prefer baby dolls over those fashion-type dolls.

That was the plan Smile  Dolls like cabbage patch encourage all sorts of imaginative play.  If kiddo chooses to make it a baby and swaddle, for example, that's completely fine.  I really dislike those newborn baby dolls, as well as the older ones like bratz dolls that pretty much teach the idea that you should dress trashy to be cool. 

• Options
    imageTristaD81:
    imageKateB1984:

imageTristaD81:

Ah, okay. If you just plan to steer clear of those rock-hard plastic dolls that come with their own neon pink pnp, etc etc, then that I get. I consider baby dolls to be any the size that kids play baby with, like my boys do when they swaddle, diaper and rock the Cabbage Patch doll (that really was about the size of a real newborn). I think of non-baby dolls to be older dolls (like Groovy Girls, for example) and I much prefer baby dolls over those fashion-type dolls.

That was the plan Smile  Dolls like cabbage patch encourage all sorts of imaginative play.  If kiddo chooses to make it a baby and swaddle, for example, that's completely fine.  I really dislike those newborn baby dolls, as well as the older ones like bratz dolls that pretty much teach the idea that you should dress trashy to be cool. 

That makes sense - much like KateB I was equating baby doll to all dolls. And omg bratz dolls are the worst! 

ITA that less battery/specially designed play and more imaginative play is always better. Dolls don't need to have a specific purpose - let the kid decide today doll is a rock star and tomorrow doll is a baby. 

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"