Baby Showers
Options

What's tacky?

Hi, I'm new to all of this. It's still a little too early for my family to be talking about a shower (we're waiting until the gender reveal in two weeks before any serious discussions). I think SO's mom is planning to have it (my family lives 1300 miles away, so it makes more sense). So, I just thought I'd ask: what's tacky when it comes to baby showers? Even though a number of decisions are out of my hands, I just wanted to know the general do's and don'ts since the last time I went to a baby shower I was 14 (and as I recall, it apparently broke a number of unofficial baby shower commandments). Thanks in advance for any advice!

Re: What's tacky?

• Options
    Pretty much everything that's asked about here.  Read the first page of posts and you'll get a good idea.  If you've got a "great idea" for something "fun and different" but you think it might be tacky---it probably is.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options

imageBallSox:
    Pretty much everything that's asked about here.  Read the first page of posts and you'll get a good idea.  If you've got a "great idea" for something "fun and different" but you think it might be tacky---it probably is.  

Pretty much this.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Asking guests to address their own thank-you notes, asking for cash/gift cards, and asking for multiple gifts (bring a pack of diapers!  Buy a book instead of a card!) top the list.  Also, asking guests to ship gifts.
  • Options
    having a "Pot Luck"...asking guests to bring a dish and a gift is a big NO NO!!!!
  • Options

I think it really varies from person to person and even region as to what is considered tacky. Here are a few things that I hate seeing in regards to a shower:

1. Diaper raffles - if you want diapers, register for them, but don't ask your guests to bring you diapers in addition to buying you a gift. Besides the prize is usually some cheap piece of junk.

2. Books in lieu of cards - It's never really appropriate to tell people what type of gift to give you. Period.

3. Asking for cash gifts/gift cards - It's a gift, be grateful you got anything.

4. Having guests address their own envelope for thank you's - If I spent a good chunk of change and my time to be there to support you and your baby, you can at least take the 20 seconds to address my thank you card envelope.

5. Pot Lucks/Having Guests Pay for their meal - Never appropriate. Ever.

6. Evites - Call me old fashioned, but I don't attend any type of shower or gift giving function where I was sent an evite. Evites are appropriate for the 4th of July bbq, not a baby shower.

That's about it for me, but again, this is my opinion. You are going to get a lot of different responses. I say trust your gut. If you think it'll come across as tacky, it probably will.

My Old Blog | My Chart | TTCAL Shenanigans
    ♥BFP #1 "Spawn"- 02/23/11 | EDD: 11/01/11 | natural m/c 03/20/11 @7w5d♥
    ♥BFP #2 "Offspring"- 11/10/12 | EDD: 07/25/13 | incomplete m/c 12/14/12 @8w1d | D&C 12/21/12♥
    ♥BFP #3 "Progeny" - 02/16/15 | It's a BOY!! | EDD: 10/17/15 | BD: 10/23/15
    All AL Always Welcome

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"