Eco-Friendly Family
Options

So what did we feel about Paragard?

If you've had it - did the side effects get to you?  Like it? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: So what did we feel about Paragard?

• Options
    I have never had one but after reading some of the side affects people seemed to have I wasn't willing to try it. I have bad enough cramps and heavy flow without the possibility that they get worse. So I chose the Mirena despite it being a hormonal BC which I wanted to avoid.
  • Options
    I've never had it and was about to get it but as ArmyQM said, reading all the issues people have had with it made me think twice so now I have no BC. I'd love to hear some positive stories...
    2007 BFP#1 MMC 12w; 2008 BFP#2 DS1; 2010 BFP#3 DS2; 2011 TTC; 2013 Pursuing DIA
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageArmyQM:
    I have never had one but after reading some of the side affects people seemed to have I wasn't willing to try it. I have bad enough cramps and heavy flow without the possibility that they get worse. So I chose the Mirena despite it being a hormonal BC which I wanted to avoid.

This is me, exactly. I had paraguard, but switched to Mirena. 

• Options

I've always had short light periods so I wasn't bothered by the fact that they were a little heavier and longer. However, I was quite bothered by the fact that it apparently magically fell out of my vagina one day leading to the creation of an almost one year old person.

I rarely have cramps that are period related. I noticed no difference with the Paragard.

• Options

Not Paraguard, but I did have a decent experience with Mirena.  My post-Mirena periods were lighter for a couple and then disappeared completely.  I loved that.  I had slight cramps monthly, but not even bad enough to take a pain reliever.

What I didn't like was that it killed my sex drive.  I didn't even really realize that until I had it removed last fall and my sex drive returned.  Embarrassed  DH & I are both happier now that I had it removed.  We do plan on one more baby though, so I imagine after our last baby he'll just get snipped as I'm done being in charge of birth control. 

Mama to two boys and a girl: J (6 yrs), C (4 yrs) and A (4 mo)
    Posts on cloth trainers/PLing
  • Options

i had one after c.  I had to have it removed 6 month pp because it always hurt.  like poking my insides.  they did ultrasounds and everything it looked fine.  it also poked dh all the time :P

i have mirena this time and love it :) 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Ditto the dittos on choosing Mirena after hearing some of the stories about Paragard,  I am normally a mess with hormonal BC but haven't had a single side effect with Mirena either time.  It rules.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I had pain during sex and even just while doing day to day things, constant bleeding (almost two months straight, and it started a few months after it was inserted), cramping... It poked my DH a few times...

I hated it.

• Options

dislike.  ended up with crazy ovarian cysts, tons of cramping and nausea at period time, pricking me and dh, and random sharp pains with physical activity. 

if you want an iud, try mirena. I might next time around. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have it.  Have had it since the beginning of December.  I haven't gotten my period yet after my DD was born in September so I don't know about period related symptoms.  I haven't had any other problems though.
    Abigail Grace 9/7/10
    Nathaniel Willis born sleeping 2/6/14
    Felicity Hope 4/6/15

• Options
    I've had it twice and like it.  I did have heavier periods the first time, but that seems like a much better side effect than losing hair, having migraines, depression and ovarian cancer that people seem to get from hormonal birth control. 
  • Options
    I had the Mirena from 5/08-12/10.  I can't be 100% certain, but I think it caused/contributed to tooth sensitivity, loss of libido, decrease in milk supply and depression.  It was nice to not have a period for all of that time, but not at all worth those side effects.  I won't get one again. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"