Special Needs

Possible ADHD/ODD?

New here, I won't get into to many details right now but I've made an appointment with my DS's peditrician to talk about his behavior and what has been going on. I'm wondering what to expect that they talk about? I'm not to keen on just jumping on the medication bandwagon however I want to get my son help to be happy again. It seems that he has been very high strung since birth and now that I think about it I've always known he was different and after having a second child I'm not noticing that. He cannot sit still and some days I feel like he climbs the walls. However he isn't repetitive and doesn't talk an overly amount, he does talk but he is very active and cannot focus for long periods. He also is very persistant with his wants for himself or what he wants you to do, for instance he will want you to wear a hat but inform you you are doing it or XYZ. He also is having anger issues and will take any change when no one is looking to get into something when he clearly isn't supposed to.This behavior is now starting to carry over from preschool, he is 4. Does anyone have any other stories they could share with me?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Possible ADHD/ODD?

• i just went through all of this almost a month ago...i had my son (4) tested and basically they just asked about his behavior at home and school, if he had anger problems and if so against who or what, asked what i was looking for (medicine help or just therapy help)...they diagnosised my son with adhd and odd and he is seeing a therapist (who i really like)... and he just recently started seeing a psychatrist...he just started a medicine yesterday which i am not happy about...he is on a blood pressure medicine and he walks around like a zombie and is drowsy all the time...im going to give it a week and if i dont like the results i will be calling the psych doctor back

the important thing that my sons grandma told me was to find doctors that you like and trust...if your not happy with results get a second opinion

Good Luck!

• gucciman, is your son taking intuniv?
    Nia, Mom to Jayden Michael, Born 12/04/06, Adopted 12/07/06
    And Elias Parker, Born 3.5 weeks early 12/20/2011 image
    FINALLY!!! After 7 years of infertility! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMakinroom4baby:
    gucciman, is your son taking intuniv?

no, since he is only four my insurance wont approve an actual adhd medicine...he is on blood pressure medicine called tenex, its only 1 mg and he is supposed to take 1/2 a pill 3 times a day as needed but that is to much for him so i do 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night

• imagegucciman3:

imageMakinroom4baby:
    gucciman, is your son taking intuniv?

no, since he is only four my insurance wont approve an actual adhd medicine...he is on blood pressure medicine called tenex, its only 1 mg and he is supposed to take 1/2 a pill 3 times a day as needed but that is to much for him so i do 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night

Intuniv is simply a long acting form of Tenex, so they are pretty much the same. The difference is that intuniv is delayed release so one pill lasts 24 hours (and the pill cannot be crushed b/c of this formulation). The "zombie" effect should wear off within a few days but if not, definitely check with the Dr. My main reason for asking you what he was taking was to warn you to keep an eye on his blood pressure and if you decide to stop giving it to him, go slowly.

For the OP, Jayden's behavior issues have carried into pre k. He's VERY disruptive and impulsive. He wants to play with other kids but doesn't know how to play without seriously hurting others. At 4, his developmental pedi is hesitant to give him a diagnosis of ADHD (although both profiles me and his teacher filled out read highly of ADHD) and she is not comfortable treating him at such a young age. So we are going to start group therapy this summer and he will be seeing a private psychologist.

Nia, Mom to Jayden Michael, Born 12/04/06, Adopted 12/07/06
    And Elias Parker, Born 3.5 weeks early 12/20/2011 image
    FINALLY!!! After 7 years of infertility! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"