School-Aged Children
Options

chores during the week

Do your children do chores during the week or only weekends or both? We have not enforced weekly chores for our oldest DD during the week yet because she gets soo much homework but am curious to see what others do. She does make her bed and tidy up her room daily but I am referring more to things like dishes, trash, dusting... I am a SAHM so most things I take care of anyway but DH wants the kids to start taking on more responsibility and learning how to do more things. I can agree with that but not sure how to fit it in.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: chores during the week

• Options
    I am interested in hearing perspectives on this as well.  Up to now we haven't been doing any chores on weekdays but have been tweaking a chore chart for DD so she can become more responsible.  She turns 7 next month and is a little immature for her age when it comes to picking up her room and stuff like that.
  • Options

During the week DS helps unload the dishwasher.  he's good at putting away the silverware and his cups/plates/bowls.  I also ask that they bring their own dirty dishes to the sink.  Depending on how bad it is, they will clean up the living room if their toys are out of control.  But, I agree, we're pretty busy as it is.

On the weekend, they help sort and load laundry (their choice, not mine) and we clean up the playroom and bedrooms.  That's about it for now. 

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My girls are 6 and 8 and don't have any set chores during the week.  Actually they don't really have any set ones on the weekend either.  During the week they have to clean up their room and the playroom if they make a mess.  They have to clean up their dishes after meals but aside from that those are the only real chores they have.  They do like to help me bring the trash and recycling bins in on Tuesdays but I wouldn't call that a chore that we require them to do. 
  • Options

We haven't done chores -- the kids are just expected to be generally helpful with tidying up, setting and clearing the table, and things like that.

• Options

My 9 yr old doesn't have set chores but he is expected to help out when asked.  He also earns $5 a week allowance for this.  He does things like get the mail, feed the dog, clean up toys in the living room (usually from his little sister), clear the table after dinner, switch over the laundry....

He's capable of pretty much anything in the house.  

• Options
    His two set chores are taking the dog out for walks (feeding, giving water, etc.) and keeping his room clean. Since we're selling the house, he has to keep his room clean every day which is actually so much easier and I hope this continues even after selling the house. He is expected to help out whenever asked too - vacuum, set the table, etc. There's really no time to do too much at night chore-wise and I'm working on cleaning up as you go along type philosophy with him so he doesn't leave a huge mess to clean up later and it's actually working. He gets $8 a week in allowance - $4 goes in the bank and $4 for spending.
  • Options
    My kids do chores during the week.  They are 6 1/2 and 8 1/2.  They get off the bus at 3 pm and on Wednesdays they are home at 12:15 so there is a lot more time than some people have (like my niece who gets home after 4 pm from school).  Their classes also give out weekly homework instead of nightly.  They do a little some nights but most of it over the weekend-that's their choice.  My oldest loads the dishes after dinner and wipes down the counters, my second sweeps the dining room and vacuums the living room (both are small rooms).  Wednesdays they clean their room really well (with basic clean up most days).  They help with the bathrooms over the weekend.  Once or twice a week I have them bring me their laundry basket down and I wash it all while they are at school.  When they get home they fold or hang it all up.  
  • Options

My SD who is 8 -- turning 9 in July has really a very limited amount of chores

which is feeding the dogs and folding her clothes

both are very easy -- but we have to remind her and sometimes fight (mostly just the folding clothes) -- but we won't do them for her.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My 14 yr old DD does the dishes and general kitchen cleaning (pots/pans wiping of counters, sweeps floor) (her choice) and she takes out recycling.  She also keeps her room and does her own laundry.

My 11yr old DS collects and takes out trash, sets/clears table and is in charge of family room tidying. Also does his own laundry and keeps his room.

They both help weekly cleaning bathrooms and vaccuuming.

They don't get an allowance per se b/c they are part of the household and required to help in the running of the household as well as the benefits of the household such as money for movies with friends or having friends over...etc.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagesweetie0228:

My 14 yr old DD does the dishes and general kitchen cleaning (pots/pans wiping of counters, sweeps floor) (her choice) and she takes out recycling.  She also keeps her room and does her own laundry.

My 11yr old DS collects and takes out trash, sets/clears table and is in charge of family room tidying. Also does his own laundry and keeps his room.

Is this daily? Do you get alot of critisism for not giving them allowance?

• Options
    imageSammysu:
    imagesweetie0228:

Is this daily? Do you get alot of critisism for not giving them allowance?

The kitchen/dishes, sets/clears table is daily.  Recycling is once a week, Trash is 2x a week.  Family room tidy is as necessary  can be daily or ever other day depending. Laundry and thier own rooms as necessary but usually works out once a week or every two.

I've never gotten cristicism for not giving them an allowance.  They get perks like they get special outings or if one of them is running errands with me or my H we may allow the random special purchase.  If my DD needs money to buy a ticket to a dance, it's happily given.  I don't think it is necessary for them to have a little bankroll.  It's part of being a household.  They've been doing these types of chores for years b/c i've been a single working mom since 2002 and I only remarried last summer.  If they wanted to anything w/ me on the weekends they had to help w/ age appropriate chores during the week so we could enjoy our relax time together.

If they said wanted to earn extra cash for something they really wanted to save up for, then they can do over an above like re organize the basement or tend garden and we negoicate a price and I'd pay them.

My DD is just starting to take on couponing for me.  She's really interested in the extreme couponing movement.  It was her idea, and she knows that anything we save w/ groceries goes to do fun things together or to help pay for her horseback riding lessons or showing fees.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

DH & I feel pretty strongly that contributing to household responsibilities are part of raising a successful family. We don't call them chores, or give an allowance like our parents did. And school and extracurricular (arts & sports) commitments take priority. DD (8) enjoys helping with the dogs, dishes and gardening when she can and is asked to straighten her bedroom and bring her dirty laundry to the washroom on the weekends. Recently, she has been helping me fold & put away her own laundry. DH considers feeding the dogs her responsibility. But that's the extent of her obligations.

I think you can teach children how to do new things just by including them, without needing to make them solely responsible for the task. IMO, it becomes less authoritative and promotes good quality time (including conversation) when you work together to care for the family. Before you know it, they'll be capable of doing everything you can (by example, instead of the fastest way to get it done to get back to playing), willing to put in the effort without resentment, and confident enough to take the initiative to do it on their own. To a child, increased responsibilities don't necessarily mean increased trust or love from a parent. Just more work & less fun. Nor does it always result in a more responsible child.

That said. That's not how my parents did it. And I turned out fine. ;)

DD - 06.24.02 :: DS - 03.12.10 :: EDD - 12.12.11
    Life in the Making
  • Options

We also offer jobs (extensive yard work, garage organizing, car washing, etc) for a negotiated price when DD is saving for a specific item and she doesn't have an upcoming birthday or holiday to request it. We will usually ask her what amount she thinks is fair for the task, and pay her based on her performance (sometimes more, rarely less). She's gotten pretty good at estimating a fair price depending on the amount of work required. Most jobs range from $5 to $10 and take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours (tops) to complete.

Also, we decided early on not to pay her hourly, because we are trying to teach her time management and problem solving skills. Time is money, and if you work smart, your time can be very valuable. Even at 8.

DD - 06.24.02 :: DS - 03.12.10 :: EDD - 12.12.11
    Life in the Making
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"