Georgia Babies
Options

First scary medical issue yesterday

After I put C to bed Sun. night, I noticed him coughing a little in his sleep, but I didn't think much of it because he has had allergies on/off. Yesterday morning my mom called me at work to tell me he was wheezing, breathing rapidly, coughing and seemed very uncomfortable. My regular pedi's power was out from the storms and we were waiting on a call back from the nurse, but I went home to see Cason I got so scared at how terrible he was breathing, we took him straight to CHOA urgent care.

We were there from 11:30 to 4:30. He got 3 breathing treatments and a dose of prednisone before we could leave. He also had to get a chest x-ray which was normal. She had told us they were only allowed to give 3 breathing treatments and if the third one did not work, we were looking at a hospital trip, so I am SO grateful he was better after that third one. She told us she was convinced she was going to be sending us to the hospital.  I had to wake up every 4 hours to give him breathing treatments all night and he goes today to follow-up with his regular pedi.

He was so brave. He cried so much at first, but he immediately calmed down and just sat there and fell asleep during the treatments. He also cried through the x-ray but then sat up and clapped his hands when it was over. Dr. says she thinks it was triggered by allergies. I am praying this does not become a consistent issue. I am exhausted.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: First scary medical issue yesterday

• Options
    I understand how you feel.  Ethan has had asthma since he was 10 months old.  We've been to the ER three times for it.  It's now under control pretty well, and I know his warning signs so I can treat him early.  Poor Cason!  I hope he feels better very soon.
  • Options
    :o( Poor Cason! I hope he feels better soon!
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i totally understand how scary it is when your little one can't breathe, we went through a bout with RSV earlier this year and it was awful.  I hope Cason is feeling much better soon, I think they recover more quickly than we do from these things!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    how scary! I'm glad the little guy is okay
  • Options
    I have been there before and it is really scary.  I would ask your pedi if you can have your own nebulizer for home.  They have them in cute panda bears.  So you if see him starting the signs you can give that to him at home and if progresses worse then you can go to the dr.  This has helped us many times when they get really sick and have a bad cough. I have asthma too and it is the WORST feeling in the world when your not able to get a full breath
  • Options
    How scary! I'm sorry you all had to go through that, but thank goodness the breathing treatments worked for him. I hope he feels better and you can get some rest!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"