May 2011 Moms
Options

skiing with a newborn?

My SIL took the kids skiing over the weekend and had her 3month old in a baby carrier.  Granted, they're Alaskan and have been skiing since they could stand but still that is something I think I'd be way to scared to do.
imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers image

Re: skiing with a newborn?

• Options
    Yikes! I'm deathly afraid of skiing! I don't like any activity that doesn't have breaks, and could never figure it out! I feel scared enough carrying DD down the stairs! Brave people!
    PhotobucketPhotobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yeeeaaaaahhh no.

I don't care how experienced THEY are, it's the OHTER people that could bump into them, crash into them, especially if they're as inexperienced as I am, that I'd be worried about.  It's a bit irresponsible in my opinion.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They all went snow camping a couple weeks ago too.  I don't think I'd be up for that with or without a baby... just reaffirms that I am not an Alaskan.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Options
  • Options

Are we talking cross country or downhill?  Downhill is a stupid thing to do....crazy people could run into you and I don't care how great of a skier you are, accidents do happen.  I am an Alaskan (well grew up there) and I think that is stupid....no excuse.

Cross country - yeah, I could see that.  you go at snails pace and no one is going to run into you.  except maybe a moose.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Haha, well if you think about it, there are tribes still that live in the snow/cold places, but I couldn't do it.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    I have a friend who did this with her daughter (born in November) on a ski trip in February.  I can't imagine doing this myself, but my skiing skills are limited.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Cross country I would do.  It's basically the same as going on a hike.  Downhill is dangerous.  You shouldn't do anything while wearing a baby where you could be knocked off balance.  Experience won't protect you from accidents and other skiers.  I believe Sonny Bono and Natasha Richardson would be good examples of why you should wear a baby while skiing.

Camping?  Sounds like fun as long as someone else is doing the set up and tending the fire.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My husband and I are both experienced skiers (he's skied recreationally for nearly 30 years and has been involved with ski racing for about 20 years, me for not quite that long), but downhill skiing with a baby in a carrier isn't something I'd feel comfortable doing. Like others have pointed out, as confident as I might be with my own sense of balance and control on skis, I've been crashed into by others enough to know better than to think it's always safe. I guess it also depends on where you're skiing (some places being much more crowded than others).

Snowshoeing or cross-country skiing with a baby carrier, however, sounds like fun. 

Camping with a newborn is something we're planning to do, though. Granted, when ours is a newborn, it won't be snow camping. But we do have a camping trip planned for when he should be 2.5months old.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    1/2015 November Siggy Challenge - Thanksgiving Fails
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"