Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Rice cereal to help with gas and reflux?

My LO went in for his 2 month visit today.  I mentioned his gas and spit up (arches back cries) occasionally once or twice a day.  His doctor told me to mix 1 teaspoon of rice cereal per ounce of BM one to three times a day.  Has anyone else had their LO put on rice cereal in the bottle?  does it help?  His doctor wanted to try this before putting him on a prescription. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Rice cereal to help with gas and reflux?

• Options

from kellymom:

What about thickened feeds?Baby cereal, added to thicken breastmilk or formula, has been used as a treatment for GER for many years, but its use is controversial.Does it work? Thickened feeds can reduce spitting up, but studies have not shown a decrease in reflux index scores (i.e., the ?silent reflux? is still present). Per Donna Secker, MS, RD in Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease PDF, "The effect of thickened feedings may be more cosmetic (decreased regurgitation and increased postprandial sleeping) than beneficial." Thickened feeds have been associated with increased coughing after feedings, and may also decrease gastric emptying time and increase reflux episodes and aspiration. Note that rice cereal will not effectively thicken breastmilk due to the amylase (an enzyme that digests carbohydrates) naturally present in the breastmilk.Is it healthy for baby? If you do thicken feeds, monitor baby?s intake since baby may take in less milk overall and thus decrease overall nutrient intake. There are a number of reasons to avoid introducing cereal and other solids early. There is evidence that the introduction of rice or gluten-containing cereals before 3 months of age increases baby's risk for type I diabetes. In addition, babies with GERD are more likely to need all their defenses against allergies, respiratory infections and ear infections ? but studies show that early introduction of solidsincreases baby?s risk for all of these conditions.

The breastfeeding relationship: Early introduction of solids is associated with early weaning. Babies with reflux are already at greater risk for fussy nursing behaviornursing strikes or premature weaning if baby associates reflux discomfort with breastfeeding

other info about reflux and breastfeeding:

https://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html#bftips

https://www.llli.org/faq/ger.html 

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Options

We supplemented with AR formula while I BF. It did okay with him keeping stuff down a little but we took DS off of it because it constipated him and I wasn't willing to trade one problem for another. So, if you do give your LO rice then keep an eye out for constipation.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Honestly, it doesnt sound like your LO has reflux (or has that severe a case of it) . Once or twice a day of reflux symptoms associated with feeding is probably a very mild form of reflux that you can treat without medication or rice cereal. We started DS on rice because he would projectile vomit his whole bottle at every feeding, was not gaining weight and was screaming in pain every time he ate. I would not do it otherwise-for us the risk was worth it. Starting rice young can make stomach issues even worse since a baby's stomach cannot always handle solids that young and in turn it causes more gas/constipation/stomach issues.

I would rather put my LO on zantac before rice, personally. Zantac takes the pain away. All rice cereal would do (if it even worked for your LO) would make the breastmilk stay in his stomach, but that wouldnt make the pain of acid in his stomach go away. It would keep it from going in his throat, sure, but not make the pain go away. Only zantac can help with the pain.

Things you can do to naturally help reflux without medication is burping more frequently, feeding baby small amounts frequently instead of larger feeds spaced further apart, wearing baby upright in a carrier, sitting baby upright for 1/2 hour after feeding (and not allowing tummy time until then as well) and propping babys crib/bassinet up so he's not ever laying down flat.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    rice cereal will thicken BM for a little while and then dissolve. We have been using gelmix as recommended by our ped gi and it will stay thick once you mix it and become thicker in the belly to help keep it down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"