Upstate NY Babies
Options

Evan's first speech appt is scheduled

Yay - so excited, haha!!

We had our meeting today and he needs speech 2x per week and special instruction 2x per week. Starting on April 11th.

They want him to get a hearing test - and we're going to wait a bit on that after I asked the speech therapist if she thought that would be ok...we just don't want to subject him (or us) to that right away. Since he says all his letters great - we doubt her has a physical hearing issue - just more of a "I'm too busy playing with this to turn and look at that noise right now"...but the speech therpist will look at this more and we'll take him if she thinks we should.

He also will get evaluated by an OT sometime soon.

They actually have Early Intervention playgroups that we can try to get involved in too- to work on social stuff. I don't want to go overboard with things...but there are SO little social things around here so maybe we'll try one of those as well.

Re: Evan's first speech appt is scheduled

• Options

I still owe you an email.  I just haven't had an uninterupted half hour or so to do so, B is being anti sleep so I haven't even had my afternoons.  It does feel overwhelming at first.  When I was first setting up all Ty's therapy stuff, I felt like his personal appointment planner!  Ty got speech once a week and special instruction twice, plus play group.  I didn't add OT until a little later, then it was once a week.  I would totally do the playgroup if I were you, at least until he starts preschool.  If you are interested in waiting on the speech, I would also talk about it with his SI teacher after a few sessions.  They will get a feel about whether it is "I am too one tracked" or possibly hearing issue.

Again, I am so glad you got E some services.  He is going to be so far ahead of the game when he reaches school age, all because you are a great mom to take notice of his needs.  Amazing how many parents don't take action until their kid is old and in pre-k or kindergarden and an educator notices.  By then you have lost years.  I sit on a committy as a parent rep. at Ty's school for eligability meetings, so I have seen/heard lots of kids' reports.  Equally as amazing are the number of parents who don't even show up for their kid's meeting, which is why they need a parent rep.

Email me if you have any questions. 

• Options

I'm sure that it is still really overwhelming, but I hope that you will see lots of progress with him.  That's really neat that they have EI playgroups, what a great idea!  Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    that's great. i can't wait to hear about his progress
  • Options
    This will help put your mind at ease and give you things to work on with him.  Best of luck and keep us posted. 
    imageimage PHOTO Credit: Meryl :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

glad to hear that he's going to get the help he needs! hope that he like his 
    ST and that he picks up everything quickly! keep us posted!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"