Kansas Babies
Options

Sudafed and baby born with intestines outside the body

I caught a terrible cold from my toddler and I couldn't breath because of the congestion, so I started taking Sudafed.  I took it for 3 days straight, then found out I was pregnant.  My nurse friend told me to stop immediately because she had seen babies born with their intestines outside their body.  Of course, I freaked out!  She said "Don't worry, they can put them back in".  Has this happened to anyone or have you heard of it? 

Re: Sudafed and baby born with intestines outside the body

• Options

That sounds really extreme! My mom is a nurse and she has never seen that due to proper use of Sudafed. Maybe just hold off in the first trimester, but if you use it sparingly it shouldn't be that harmful. Just to be sure you should ask your doctor

• Options
    My husband was born with Gastroschisis (sp?) where his intestines was outside of his body. They never knew the cause of it for him. He's perfectly healthy, he just has scars from when they had to "put him back together".
    Once you get your ultra-sound, they check for those things. (They will be able to tell early on) So just ask once you get one done.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"